ThinkPad Tablet 2 production version unveiled

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My problem will be the price... Hope its ultrabook competitive and not Apple Macbook price competitive.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My problem will be the price... Hope its ultrabook competitive and not Apple Macbook price competitive.

I wouldn't worry--with a 1366x768 screen and an Intel Atom processor, it'll probably sell for $600ish without the keyboard dock. There's no way this is a $1000 machine, not to mention $1200+. The Surface Pro, with a 1080p screen and Ivy Bridge, will likely push $1000, but this should be significantly cheaper.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If the price is right and it can really deliver 10 hours of battery like they claim, this just may beat the surface RT for me. It has a keyboard you can actually use on your lap, i love track points, and it is an x86 machine so i can run legacy software should the need arise.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If the price is right and it can really deliver 10 hours of battery like they claim, this just may beat the surface RT for me. It has a keyboard you can actually use on your lap, i love track points, and it is an x86 machine so i can run legacy software should the need arise.

I have mixed feelings about the Thinkpad Tablet 2 versus the Surface. On one hand, the TP is so frickin' PRACTICAL, Lenovo has such a proven track record of quality hardware (especially recently). But the Surface wins sex appeal hands down. Case design, innovative TouchCover, zippy quad-core ARM or fire-breathing Ivy Bridge versus Lenovo's sensible-shoes Atom processor...I just don't know.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about the Thinkpad Tablet 2 versus the Surface. On one hand, the TP is so frickin' PRACTICAL, Lenovo has such a proven track record of quality hardware (especially recently). But the Surface wins sex appeal hands down. Case design, innovative TouchCover, zippy quad-core ARM or fire-breathing Ivy Bridge versus Lenovo's sensible-shoes Atom processor...I just don't know.

I have the same debate, but nearly every time choose sex appeal over practicality, i end up regretting it. My favorite windows machine I've ever had was thinkpad, so that may play in a little too.

Plus, by going with an x86, if metro apps don't catch on you still have a vast software library to use.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yuck, they took the Thinkpad and re-did it as a tablet. Old, ugly and uninspired. Those cheap rubber port doors are the worst part. I just get the feeling that Surface Pro will **** all over this.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as the new Atom processors don't disappoint it should be good to go. Looks quick on youtube with the hands-on and the pen looks like it would work plenty well for class notes.

That is one thin *** x86 tablet. I like it!

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same debate, but nearly every time choose sex appeal over practicality, i end up regretting it. My favorite windows machine I've ever had was thinkpad, so that may play in a little too.

Yeah, me too. Honestly, I like my office's ThinkPad Edge ($519) at least as much, probably more, than my $1200 Sony VAIO.

Plus, by going with an x86, if metro apps don't catch on you still have a vast software library to use.

This is true. An e-transcript reader (for deposition transcripts prepared by court reporters) that I use for work would work for the ThinkPad Tablet 2, and I don't expect a Metro app any time soon.

Will there be any apps that are ARM-only, or will an Atom-equipped tablet be able to run every app that an ARM-equipped tablet will?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that x86 devices will run all apps since they support both Win32 (legacy) and WinRT (metro) programs. If there were RT exclusive apps, it wouldn't be because the 86 tabs were incapable of running them, it would a purely artificial limit.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why one would want to limit x86 but I guess it could happen.

I don't see Windows RT being all that popular at first but after a short time the dual nature of the x86 tablets will make enough available that RT could become mainstream.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, just realized its an atom processor. Anyone know the GPU associated with this one and the clockspeed? That's a huge deal breaker for me.

Will there be any apps that are ARM-only, or will an Atom-equipped tablet be able to run every app that an ARM-equipped tablet will?
Win8RT just has the WinRT component of Windows 8, so any apps built for any RT device will be through the Metro (Windows 8 Application), and therefore work for on x86 models.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow, just realized its an atom processor. Anyone know the GPU associated with this one and the clockspeed? That's a huge deal breaker for me.

Ivy Bridge would have required a significantly higher price point and couldn't give anywhere near to ten hours battery life (which is what Lenovo is claiming for this). So long as this-generation Atom can run basic software without annoying lag, I'm personally okay if it lags behind in performance benchmarks. I'd rather have a lower price and longer battery life.

And if you want Ivy Bridge, there's always the Surface Pro :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3