XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 1 Post By mdameron
  1. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    With the announcement of the W510 pricing being $499 for a 10.1", 32 GB, Intel powered tablet, I think that highest price an entry level RT device could be is $399, with $350 being more likely and $299 a realistic possibility. Lenovo said that RT devices should be about $200 less than an Atom powered equivalent. The W510 is the first entry level device we have gotten pricing for (the ThinkPad Tablet II and Samsung Series 5 are both more mid-tier do to better design and/or features). If the cheapest RT you can get is $399, it will be a tough sell. I think many people would pay the extra $100 for the added functionality of a full x86 system. Now, if RT starts at $350, its a better option, and if it starts at $299, which is where I think it should start at, then it becomes a realistic long term platform and makes buying an Android tablet look silly. If Amazon can do an 8.9" high resolution, heavily customized Android tablet at $299, I think that Windows RT can hit the same price. Android will be relegated to low end, sub $200 devices at that point, which is the only place it really makes sense.
    zigzagr63 likes this.
  2. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?
  3. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?
    If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only
    crystal_planet likes this.
  4. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only
    Dude, I wish.

    I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

    That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

    Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.
  5. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Dude, I wish.

    I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

    That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

    Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.
    ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.
  6. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,894 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.
    You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.
  7. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.
  8. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,894 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.
    Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.
  9. Neo Nuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.
    I see your avatar shows what appears to be WP 7.8 and you know your stuff. Do you work for M$ ?
  10. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Can you install whatever version of windows on the surface?

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  11. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Please, no swapping the S in "MS" for a dollar sign in the year 2012.
    jdevenberg likes this.
  12. jmajid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    658 Posts
    Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    From what you can read online at MS surface website, the cover "comes with" the surface tablet. Now thats the touch keyboard/cover, not the more tactile keyboard cover.
    And i agree, from what i have seen online, the price will be as low as 300USD to no more than 350USD for the cheapest Surface RT
  13. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.
    Shouldn't the Office RT license be rolled into the license fee for Windows RT, since MS is requiring Office be preinstalled? If MS has any sense about them what-so-ever and actually wants Windows RT to be successful, they will make the license fee for Windows RT comparable to what they charge to license patents for Android. After all, the only way to get software onto an RT device is through the Windows Store, so the OS will in effect be subsidized seeing as MS will get a cut of every application and piece of software that gets installed on RT devices. I know I for one would jump on a $299 Lenovo IdeaTab RT that is identical to the $299 Android version they have out. Much higher than the Android version for the same software and I'd question it though
  14. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Didn't Microsoft say in the press conference that the touch keyboard would be included?
  15. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Didn't Microsoft say in the press conference that the touch keyboard would be included?
    This thread is not about the Surface for Windows RT, but Windows RT powered devices in general. But to answer your question, no they didn't.

Posting Permissions