Why I think RT will start at $399 or less

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
With the announcement of the W510 pricing being $499 for a 10.1", 32 GB, Intel powered tablet, I think that highest price an entry level RT device could be is $399, with $350 being more likely and $299 a realistic possibility. Lenovo said that RT devices should be about $200 less than an Atom powered equivalent. The W510 is the first entry level device we have gotten pricing for (the ThinkPad Tablet II and Samsung Series 5 are both more mid-tier do to better design and/or features). If the cheapest RT you can get is $399, it will be a tough sell. I think many people would pay the extra $100 for the added functionality of a full x86 system. Now, if RT starts at $350, its a better option, and if it starts at $299, which is where I think it should start at, then it becomes a realistic long term platform and makes buying an Android tablet look silly. If Amazon can do an 8.9" high resolution, heavily customized Android tablet at $299, I think that Windows RT can hit the same price. Android will be relegated to low end, sub $200 devices at that point, which is the only place it really makes sense.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?

If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only

Dude, I wish.

I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Dude, I wish.

I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.

ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.

You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.

Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.
I see your avatar shows what appears to be WP 7.8 and you know your stuff. Do you work for M$ ?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
From what you can read online at MS surface website, the cover "comes with" the surface tablet. Now thats the touch keyboard/cover, not the more tactile keyboard cover.
And i agree, from what i have seen online, the price will be as low as 300USD to no more than 350USD for the cheapest Surface RT

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.

Shouldn't the Office RT license be rolled into the license fee for Windows RT, since MS is requiring Office be preinstalled? If MS has any sense about them what-so-ever and actually wants Windows RT to be successful, they will make the license fee for Windows RT comparable to what they charge to license patents for Android. After all, the only way to get software onto an RT device is through the Windows Store, so the OS will in effect be subsidized seeing as MS will get a cut of every application and piece of software that gets installed on RT devices. I know I for one would jump on a $299 Lenovo IdeaTab RT that is identical to the $299 Android version they have out. Much higher than the Android version for the same software and I'd question it though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss