Do you know anybody getting wanting a Windows 8 Tablet/Laptop/Desktop/Hybrid?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I did a thread on if you know anybody getting a Microsoft Surface. But I decided to expand it much more. So I'm just asking. if you know anyone wanting a Windows 8 device. Either. Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Hybird?......

Okcbikeguy

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I did a thread on if you know anybody getting a Microsoft Surface. But I decided to expand it much more. So I'm just asking. if you know anyone wanting a Windows 8 device. Either. Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Hybird?......
I have preordered my 64 GB surface. I did so after selling my iPad 3 as well as returning the iPhone 5 I had received on its launch day. I found myself utterly bored by the constraints and limits of the Apple ecosystem and eager to give Microsoft a chance. I am in The IT industry and worked at Microsoft for 8 years. I have been hoping for them to mount an effective response to Apple and with Windows 8 and phone 8 I think they have done so.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I have preordered my 64 GB surface. I did so after selling my iPad 3 as well as returning the iPhone 5 I had received on its launch day. I found myself utterly bored by the constraints and limits of the Apple ecosystem and eager to give Microsoft a chance. I am in The IT industry and worked at Microsoft for 8 years. I have been hoping for them to mount an effective response to Apple and with Windows 8 and phone 8 I think they have done so.

True that. the Ipad is my last device I'm gonna have. and I know 45 people getting a Windows 8 tablet

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a lot of tech friends, but I can tell you that every single person I know is going to want a tablet/laptop hybrid for their next computing device. They just don't know it yet. Most of my friends have gotten rid of their PCs (except at work) and use their laptops as little as possible (they prefer their phones). They don't know much about Windows 8/RT yet but when they go to get their next device they will all love the hybrids. Those who still have PCs use them for gaming and will find the hybrids to be perfect for mobile use (mobile work, casual games, email, chat, web, skype).

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a lot of tech friends, but I can tell you that every single person I know is going to want a tablet/laptop hybrid for their next computing device. They just don't know it yet. Most of my friends have gotten rid of their PCs (except at work) and use their laptops as little as possible (they prefer their phones). They don't know much about Windows 8/RT yet but when they go to get their next device they will all love the hybrids. Those who still have PCs use them for gaming and will find the hybrids to be perfect for mobile use (mobile work, casual games, email, chat, web, skype).

Precisely my view. I hardly use my laptop anymore, only to project slideshows at school. Meaning I'll keep my desktop at home for heavylifting, comfortable work and gaming + Surface for my mobile computing needs. And a Lumia 920, of course ;)

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have one. A Lenovo X220T (convertible tablet with solid-state drive and i7 CPU) that's been running Window 8 since Jan. It's a great combination, I find myself using the touchscreen even in laptop mode. But in tablet mode it is not as handy as a dedicated tablet, which is why I ordered a Surface RT.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I have one. A Lenovo X220T (convertible tablet with solid-state drive and i7 CPU) that's been running Window 8 since Jan. It's a great combination, I find myself using the touchscreen even in laptop mode. But in tablet mode it is not as handy as a dedicated tablet, which is why I ordered a Surface RT.

How is it not as handy? Just curious as the Twist is on top of my list right now.

I don't know anyone getting any new W8 hybrid, tablet, etc. But I know that will change when they are ready to upgrade and see W8 in action. :)

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to build a new PC for my son for christmas. That is definetly going to have W8 on it so I can testdrive for PC-gaming and see if it's worth upgrading the other PCs at home.
My daughter want an IPad and considering that they have iPad at school and that some of her friends also have that it seems hard to try to steer her towards a surface.
I'm going to get a WP8 as my next phone.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I know about 90,000 getting one ;). In all seriousness, most of the folks that I know that don't work for Microsoft are curious about it, genuinely. Most of them are typical users, and will get Windows 8 with new hardware - and I think that's a good thing, given how much better Win8 is on hardware designed for it. It's honestly a few hundred people, not a small number. If that's any indication of how well the advertising is reaching "regular folks" and not just the tech savvy, that's pretty interesting.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
How is it not as handy? Just curious as the Twist is on top of my list right now.

I don't know anyone getting any new W8 hybrid, tablet, etc. But I know that will change when they are ready to upgrade and see W8 in action. :)

It's heavier and thicker than a dedicated tablet, and the weight isn't as evenly distributed as it would be in a tablet. Convertibles must compromise between the power of a laptop and convenience of a tablet, and this machine makes very few compromises as a laptop (2.8ghz i7 cpu, 8Gb RAM, 140Gb solid state drive, etc). The surface pro's design looks to be weighted the other way, with more of an eye towards tablet functionality than laptop functionality (I suspect it'll be difficult to use in your lap, for example).

But the Lenovo X220T is one heck of a machine, and even though it's a bit clumsy in tablet mode, using it in tablet mode convinced me early on that Win 8 was a great tablet OS, much better than iOS or Android in that role - if it gets the apps.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
It's heavier and thicker than a dedicated tablet, and the weight isn't as evenly distributed as it would be in a tablet. Convertibles must compromise between the power of a laptop and convenience of a tablet, and this machine makes very few compromises as a laptop (2.8ghz i7 cpu, 8Gb RAM, 140Gb solid state drive, etc). The surface pro's design looks to be weighted the other way, with more of an eye towards tablet functionality than laptop functionality (I suspect it'll be difficult to use in your lap, for example).

But the Lenovo X220T is one heck of a machine, and even though it's a bit clumsy in tablet mode, using it in tablet mode convinced me early on that Win 8 was a great tablet OS, much better than iOS or Android in that role - if it gets the apps.

Ah, that makes sense. Still sounds like a good choice for someone like me who sold their iPad, and looking to sell their desktop. Hopefully Levono figured out a way to distribute the weight more evenly with the Twist. :)

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually just pre-ordered a Lenovo Yoga 13 tonight. For $1099, I feel that it's an excellent value and is more than capable of doing the things that I need to accomplish. Also, having the ability to use it as a tablet is pretty cool.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Precisely my view. I hardly use my laptop anymore, only to project slideshows at school. Meaning I'll keep my desktop at home for heavylifting, comfortable work and gaming + Surface for my mobile computing needs. And a Lumia 920, of course ;)

I have to admit I have changed my opinion a little after playing with the surface. Well, my friends might find the surface to be powerful enough to use for studying, etc, but I couldn't bare to upgrade. I spent half the price two years ago on a laptop and it runs just as fast with windows 8 as the surface does, plus it can run my legacy apps and comcast.net, etc. Surface is cool and thinner but I just couldn't bare to buy it.

I'd still recommend it though to others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster