Windows 8 on a tablet PC - Colour me amazed :)

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I installed Windows 8 on an ancient tablet PC, namely the HP Pavilion TX1000 with an AMD Turion X2 inside. My brother used it back when he was studying. It ran Vista (what a nightmare) and was a horrible thing to use after a period of time. I shoved it to one corner after my brother passed it to me using his new W7 machine.

So cleaning my room, I dug this up, and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to install W8 on it. After some fiddling around, I got the release preview version of W8 up and running. It was a smooth process too. All drivers were there with W8. I just popped in the disk, did the usual selection stuff, waited a bit, then Windows 8 goodness.

I will note the following first. I am a L900 user who is used to the UI and actually like the UI for its uses. I also read up on the quirks of the UI so I know a little of the OS and how it operates.

I got to say, this 5 year old laptop still has something in it. Apps actually run pretty well. I ran ARMED! on it, and it worked like a charm. IE isn't all bad, video player is cool, and I actually like how Windows 8 feel on the whole with the start screen. Touch was quirky, but it is a resistive screen, so I gave it a pass. Most importantly, it gave life to a machine thought gone. Yes, it is a Vista tablet PC, but MS did do some great work under the hood with Windows 8. The UI is an acquired taste to some, but it fits me.

I haven't even go into the desktop yet with Windows 8. This did excite me a bit for the wave of W8 devices, especially the touch-enabled ultrabooks. For now, I will use the laptop as a secondary device to play around and see if it can run more stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss