Ordered myself a Vivo Tab RT

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was 100% sure I was going to get a Surface today, but Staples changed my mind at the last second. They are giving the dock for free with the Vivo Tab RT. My main reasons for choosing the Vivo over the Surface are:
1. Size. The 10.6" screen of the Surface seems like it would be unweildly to use as a tablet, which makes sense as the Surface was designed to be used with its kickstand and Touch Cover primarily.
2. Dock has an extra battery
3. NFC. Present on the Vivo MIA on Surface
4. Micro HDMI port, don't have to use a dongle. I know I do have to use a dongle for USB, but I personally will rarely be using the USB port when it isn't docked (dock has a USB port) and can see myself using an HDMI port on the tablet section much more than a USB.
5. Vivo is a little thinner and substantialy lighter than Surface. (11% thinner and 23% lighter)

Yes the Surface has advantages over the Vivo as well, but the Vivo's advantages fit my particular use case better than the Surface's advantages. And there is the great advantage Windows 8/RT has over iOS and the iPad. Choice.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sure. My plans have changed though, I canceled the Staples order. I found out Asus will give anyone who purchases the Vivo RT by December 31 a free dock. I also saw that Tiger Direct has it for $499. Best Buy matches Tiger prices. So, I will be getting my $499 Vivo RT tonight and will review that on Monday most likely. I will add further review once I get the dock and use it for a few days.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from Staples/BB, I have to say its an impressive device, thin and light and a great screen. I think you will like it.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting it at office depot cause best buy was out. I'm loving it so far!

I'm going to need more than "I'm loving it". Details, son. Does it have GPS built in?

I was looking at this one from the start, and if my Surface doesn't arrive next week, I'm cancelling the order and going with the Asus. It's 599.00 up here and if I can get the free dock from Asus, it will be on par with the Surface I was ordering

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss