Atom tablet performance impressions - Samsung Ativ

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Atom >>> tegra 3. Not sure why one would buy a t3 tablet.

I agree, but only one Atom tablet is available for sale right now, and it's quite hard to find. Also, Atom tablets are ~$100+ more expensive. Plus, the Surface seems really nice. The build quality, the kickstand, the keyboard, the MagSafe-like quick charger, and the VaporMg casing. I really wish Microsoft made an Atom version. Hopefully the Surface Pro uses a Haswell processor instead of Ivy Bridge.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Been playing with my Ativ for a day now, it works great under "ipad" like conditions like web browsing and things like that. There is quite a bit of lag when doing something intensive, especially downloading stuff, pulling up big files, installing programs, etc. It's not a huge deal, but it's noticeable. Also the Ativ freezes and requires rebooting a lot, I believe it's been happening in Metro IE10 but I only started paying attention the last couple of times, it's frozen like this probably 4-5 times since I first started using it. Thankfully the reboots are very fast, easily under 30 seconds for a completely cold reboot.

Office was a bust. It has a trial of Office 10, but WTF a 2 year old program? They should have included Office 365 trial, if not a free copy IMO. Worse yet, I installed Office 365, opening word I had an image in my document, program kept freezing when I clicked on the image to manipulate it and I just gave up and force quit. Powerpoint crashed right when opening it, I didn't play with office much past that.

I'm still not sold on the Atom CPU, but I also don't want 3 hour battery life with the ivy bridge, I've just gotten to used to having all day battery life with my ipad and will never go back to laptop battery times. In all honesty do I really need to do anything super intensive on a 11.6" screen ?!?! As for form factor, it's not as easy to carry around as an ipad, but once you get down to work the size of it is pretty awesome.

I'm going to put in more intensive stuff today, PS elements, play with Office a bit more, etc.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know of a case/cover that would be close to fitting, I don't mind a temporary poorly fitting solution, but I get nervous carrying it around naked.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a full reset? How much bloatware is installed?

I only see 2 or 3 Samsung programs installed, and I haven't even run into them yet. What's nice with windows is that it's still windows, not windows with a samsung UI, so it's simply a matter of uninstalling the programs. We won't have issues where we have to wait for samsung to update the OS thankfully.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Atom >>> tegra 3. Not sure why one would buy a t3 tablet.

No fans.
Connectivity when in sleep mode.
Battery life.
...and a little thing called FREE MS Office

I may pick up an x86 in the future. But it likely wont be an Atom. I figure if I'm going to go x86, I want something with some power.

Otherwise, ARM is fine. Especially since Office is included.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
No fans.
Connectivity when in sleep mode.
Battery life.
...and a little thing called FREE MS Office

I may pick up an x86 in the future. But it likely wont be an Atom. I figure if I'm going to go x86, I want something with some power.

Otherwise, ARM is fine. Especially since Office is included.

Umm... Atom can do that too. No fans, stays connected in sleep mode, offers comparable battery life. Office is not included though.

And if you decide to go x86 in the future, wait for the next generation Atom (probably called ValleyView) or Core i3/5/7 (Haswell) processors.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Umm... Atom can do that too. No fans, stays connected in sleep mode, offers comparable battery life. Office is not included though.

And if you decide to go x86 in the future, wait for the next generation Atom (probably called ValleyView) or Core i3/5/7 (Haswell) processors.

I don't believe that the Atom stays connected in sleep. Are you sure?

And when I do get an x86, it will likely be an i5 or i7, or whatever the equivalent is at the time.

If MS Office was offered with Atom, I probably would have gone that route.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that the Atom stays connected in sleep. Are you sure?

And when I do get an x86, it will likely be an i5 or i7, or whatever the equivalent is at the time.

If MS Office was offered with Atom, I probably would have gone that route.

Definitely sure.

AnandTech - Intel Details Atom Z2760: Clovertrail for Windows 8 Tablets

Intel Atom Z2760 Clover Trail Details - An SoC Built for Tablets | PC Perspective

Well if you're going to get a Core i5 or i7, like I said before, wait for Haswell. It'll be more power efficient, will use less power (so I think that'll mean less heat too), have better graphics, and it'll finally get the connected standby that Clover Trail (current Atom) already has.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720