Time Ripe for Nokia Tablet?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey All,

I think that Nokia really needs to be applauded for strengthening the core of their company. I know many of us (myself included) were not pleased with the way the launch of their WP8 devices was handled, but I think the Nokia we see right now is on a much better path than a few months ago. They have done some needed restructuring/selling of non essential assets, launched a flagship phone, and have phones on 3 of America's largest carriers. Now they are launching in China and seem to be building some confidence with investors. Does this mean the time is right for a CES tablet announcement? This isn't so much a discussion of rumors or anything like that, rather just opinions. Do you think Nokia will continue to strengthen its position before expanding into a brand new territory, or do you think they'd be wise to strike while the iron's hot?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'd like to have a Nokia tablet, I don't feel the time is right, no.

Microsoft's own surface tablet has sold poorly and the tablet market in general is very tricky and mostly dominated by Apple on the high end and by Android junk on the low end.

IMO it would be a risky distraction for Nokia to spend any money or effort to put out a Windows RT or even a pro Win 8 tablet out right now. They need to focus on phones, they've got more than their work cut out for them there.

Maybe next year if Microsoft has managed to turn Windows RT into something consumers actually want.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The weak point definitely is Windows RT at the moment, apart from Nokia's design and hardware quality it will still be crippled by the lack of apps and the immaturity of the OS itself. Would probably be an unwise move at this time, though it would be interesting to see WP apps like Drive and City Lens on a 7" Lumia tablet.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The weak point definitely is Windows RT at the moment, apart from Nokia's design and hardware quality it will still be crippled by the lack of apps and the immaturity of the OS itself. Would probably be an unwise move at this time, though it would be interesting to see WP apps like Drive and City Lens on a 7" Lumia tablet.

I'm actually more curious for a HTC 7" RT tablet... with the HTC Scribe stuff built in. As I reckon a Nokia one will be lacking the stylus support. That and I go gaga over HTC Sense.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think some Nokia features like Clear Black display and super sensitive touch could be kind of interesting on a tablet, not to talk about design. That said at the moment i really don't see any reason to go for RT. For hardware manufacturer there's very little room to innovate at the moment (all of the RT tablets are practically the same) and Surface RT really takes the sales there, sales that don't seem to be too impressive.

There's actually rumor that Nokia already had tablet ready for launch but decided to not launch it.

I'm actually more curious for a HTC 7" RT tablet... with the HTC Scribe stuff built in. As I reckon a Nokia one will be lacking the stylus support. That and I go gaga over HTC Sense.

There's no support for digitizers=stylus on Windows 8 RT. Certainly the support will come later on with with new SoC's and software tweaking. Dual core atom can just about handle the stylus, but if you look at the performance of stylus on galaxy Note tablet, ARM doesn't just seem to be there yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncegf0Em7m4&list=FLl4__J0orm1v_RczHIacrNg&index=12

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if MS has any restrictions on WP8 or if Nokia could make a 7 inch 'tablet' running Windows Phone 8 instead of Windows RT. This would give it access to more apps (at least at the present time) while also giving people Office and other programs that would be useful on a 7 inch screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3