Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Review

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, right now it is more of first thoughts but will post a more thorough review later.

The build quality seems nice and solid to me. No complaints other than a big notice on the back saying "Non Encyrption" which is rather obnoxious and I'm not sure why it is necessary. I thought there was supposed to be a fingerprint reader but I don't see it and am a little surprised as I bought the highest level that was detailed on their site. I need to do more investigation as I'm sure this was an oversite on my part. For some reason the TT2 keyboard and stand is still on backorder which is odd and I'm contacting them today to find out when that should ship. I am fine without it now though as I really plan to use this as a tablet in my workplace but the ke

The initial apps that I loaded all installed fine. Seemed a little slow but not sure how much of that was loading apps for first time or an indication of the processor. The digitzer pen worked well and I also really like using it to click on smaller items (especially in desktop mode). I am going to install office later today/tonight and put it through its paces with OneNote which is really why I bought this device. I will also do a more thorough review on it later tonight and hope that others that have this device will post their reviews and thoughts here as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like me to test any specific app or functionality.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Please please do a thorough review of Onenote performance on this. If I'm going to buy this tablet I would be looking mainly at running Onenote as well.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Have spent more time with the device and I like it. The weight and size of it is nice -- easy and unobtrusive to carry around. Response time for the apps I am using is fine but I am not doing anything too intense on this device. The digitizer pen is responsive and I enjoy using it...find that I am using it as a mouse replacement . You have to press a little harder than I expected to have it recognize the touch but once you get used to it, it works great. For some reason I have not yr received the keyboard (need to check with Lenovo) and ther is definitely functionality that is easier with a true keyboard. (This is more a function of Windows 8, not the Thinkpad Tablet 2)

I have played a lot with OneNote 2010 as well as the Metro version of one note and both work great. I prefer the 2010 version as it has more controls and editing capability but metro works great. The stylus works great and I am using one note exclusively in meetings as a note taking option where I am taking notes by hand. I really love one note although personally need to zoom in to make the menus and stiff more readable as they are pretty small on a 10" screen.

Please ask me any questions that you have!

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
How is multi tasking with the Atom? Can you have a live stream video going with other apps open or does it slow down? Between price, performance and battery life I'm still trying to decide. Thanks.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried that as I bought this to be a work unit and I can't really stream video through their wifi but I will try to test it under a couple different circumstances later this week

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
WiFi signal levels seem really weak on my TP2, anyone else seeing this? I have to be within 20 feet of my router in order to connect. My HTC 8x and iPad sitting right next to it are getting almost full signal and the TP2 can't even connect or if it does has very low signal and speeds under 5mbps. Maybe I got a bad device.?

bpcooper14

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
@Greenscrew. There have been reports of some users experiencing poor wifi on their TPT2. Personally, mine has worked better than my ASUS TF101 and the wifi on my cell phone. If is comparable with the wifi that I have on my Dell computer from work.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like I got a bad one then. Depot return shipping box is on its way to me for warranty service. What do you all think about the 16x9 aspect ratio. My initial reaction is that it stretches the keyboard out too far for typing while holding it. The split keyboard helps but then can't reach keypad. So not a great experience on the keyboard, I think 16x10 is better for this (iPad ratio). Then again, nice for streaming that HD movie... so I see pros and cons interested in feedback from others!

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
When I got to play with the ThinkPad tablet 2, I really liked it, thin, lightweight, perfect screen size (
despite owning the hp envy x2, I still like the 10.1" screen size better than the 11.6" screen size on my tablet although its fine). Its unfortunate that the keyboard dock on the tablet doesn't have an extra battery in the tablet to recharge it because otherwise I bet the keyboard is probably better than mine because its a ThinkPad although I really do like the keyboard dock on the hp envy x2.) the non-battery dock was a dealbreaker for me and I wonder why no business grade tablet has one like the Asus vivotab smart, Acer iconia w510mor the hp envy x2

bpcooper14

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When I got to play with the ThinkPad tablet 2, I really liked it, thin, lightweight, perfect screen size (
despite owning the hp envy x2, I still like the 10.1" screen size better than the 11.6" screen size on my tablet although its fine). Its unfortunate that the keyboard dock on the tablet doesn't have an extra battery in the tablet to recharge it because otherwise I bet the keyboard is probably better than mine because its a ThinkPad although I really do like the keyboard dock on the hp envy x2.) the non-battery dock was a dealbreaker for me and I wonder why no business grade tablet has one like the Asus vivotab smart, Acer iconia w510mor the hp envy x2

I thought this too as I was looking through tablets before purchasing. I had an ASUS TF101 with the keyboard dock and built in battery. It's nice to have that freedom/safety to not constantly worry about if it's going to die or not. However, so far I haven't had any issues with battery life and not having the dock keeps the slim size. I did buy a bluetooth keyboard for anything I had to do that required an extensive amount of typing and honestly i've only used it once just to see how easily it would pair up with the TPT2. When I purchased the TPT2, I also got the slim cover and that in conjunction with the digitizer, I have been pleasantly surprised that i really don't miss having a physical keyboard to type on. I have used mine extensively over the past couple weeks with OneNote and the stylus for note taking exclusively. I've been impressed with the ink to text conversion. It has been really accurate and I don't have the greatest handwriting in the world.

drasticza

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am having wifi issues as well. Sounds like I may need to do an RMA. Works but it has weak or no signal when other devices are ok.

Bojan B

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey thank you very much for your review. Could you please post 'Windows Experience Index' found in Control Panel -> System.
It shows performance of your hardware ...

Thanks,
Bojan

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows experience is 3.2
Processor: 3.5
Memory (Ram): 4.7
Graphics: 3.7
Gaming Graphics 3.2
Primary Hard Disk: 5.6

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
How is multi tasking with the Atom? Can you have a live stream video going with other apps open or does it slow down? Between price, performance and battery life I'm still trying to decide. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in response. Did some multitasking today with video and it was OK but not great. I went to Netflix and started a movie. Then opened one note and ran next to it and that was OK. Then tried opening a web page next to the running video and did a little surfing which was also OK. Went to the weather channel and watched a weather video which, surprisingly, played during the Netflix video and both played simultaneously. It was short and no major problems noted. Then I played a game (flow free) and it started out fine but after a while the video had problems.

Plet me know if you want to know more

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I just had my Thinkpad T2 delivered. First off, this thing is thin and light. I love the size. Check out the picture below; that's my tablet sitting next to my 920 gel case.

Right out of the box, the wifi didn't stay connected at all. That made me nervous, as I had read of issues that could only be resolved by a return. However, I went to the Lenovo website, found some updated drivers. put them on a usb stick, and installed them. So far, this seems to have fixed the issue. I'm still skeptical, as the wifi seems much slower than on my ipad mini as they sit side by side.

edit: wow the wifi problem is pretty awful on my machine. If I stand right next to wireless router the signal is fine, but if I walk away, it starts dropping within a few feet. I guess mine is going back to be fixed (or maybe i'll just return it altogether, I haven't decided yet)

WP_20130220_003.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3