Tablet talk and questions

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, first off let me start by saying I'm a Lumia 920 owner and love my phone and Windows 8 more and more every day. I was recently given a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as a gift and have used one a bit before. My mom got one for Christmas last year and I was able to play around with it and it seems user friendly and capable as a tablet. I was curious as to how far you can go with these tablets. I own a HP Mini netbook that I use mostly when I travel. I like to web browse, play music from my library, watch a movie here or there, and use for photo storage and light editing. I now have been thinking "Do I really need both a tablet and a netbook?" I would like to switch to Windows 8 since I like it so much on my phone. So here is where my questions begin.

1. Do I sell the netbook, return the Samsung and spring for a Windows 8 tablet.
2. I'm not going to spend $1000 on a tablet, just can't afford that and don't see the point. My price range is $300-$500max.
3. I've been looking at the ASUS tablets, even played around with one at Best Buy for a little bit and I like it. Owners of these please give me your opinions, or alternates in my price range.
4. Most tablets have around a 64GB internal storage, some have microSD slots for expansion. Some tablets have a micro USB port on them, is it possible to plug in an external HD and read media from that as well?
5. What about using a tablet to plug into my TV for video or photo viewing?

I think what it boils down to is: Can I replace my netbook with a tablet and maintain the functionality and storage capacity (with an external HD?) that I have with my netbook? I'm looking for an all in one device to use while on stand by at work or traveling.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion is to wait. There are Windows 8 tablets/convertibles/detachables that are coming out with smaller screens and lower price tags than was is currently available. Also, with Intel's new chips coming out soon, the experience on these tablets will be getting better, both from a performance and battery life stand point. If you don't have to buy now, wait and see what comes out or is announced over the summer.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to use an external HD with a tablet? That is going to be a large deciding factor for me as far as a tablet being able to replace my netbook.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Ipads cant, in theory android tabs can, but you are gonna need to do some fiddling and installing stuff, probably best not to bother of your not 100% ok.

The good news however is that both windows 8 and rt can handle external hdd, any tablet with a usb with take one no problems. Do check however with tablets that only have a micro usb. They should still be fine, but you never know.

You can replace a latop with a windows tablet, but you are gonna need windows 8 pro, as rt can only use apps from the new windows 8 store.

If you get a tablet with full windows 8 then you can install anything, ANYTHING, that you currently use on your laptop or desktop.

You can also use mice and keyboards with them, but again, check with individual models for if you need a specific Bluetooth one or just usb etc.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
They are planning too if the rumours are to.be believed.

Its codenamed the EOS and reportedly has a 5+ inch display and a "propper pureview" camera, ie 20-42mp.

That's gonna be a beast

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to use an external HD with a tablet? That is going to be a large deciding factor for me as far as a tablet being able to replace my netbook.

just to support the other responses - you can use an external HD. Just remember that some tablets have a full USB port and other have a mini USB, so you would need to get an adapter.
I have been able to link up my 1TB HDs, USB pen drives, my HP Touchpad tablet, a fitbit dongle and my Timex Run Trainer watch to my Dell tablet as and when I have needed to.
My Dell comes with a SDHC type card slot and I have a 128GB SD card installed and I have no problems accessing the card.
So I don't think you have much to worry about, your Windows 8 tablet will be more than able to replace your netbook.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DestructoDisk