Thinking Of Switching From Laptop To Tablet

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Now keep in mind the only thing I use my tablet for is browsing the internet, downloading/managing music files, saving pictures, and maybe typing a resume here and there nothing major and printing a few things sometimes.

But now with the tablets it seems now might be the time for me to make the move to the windows 8 tablets im mainly interested in the convertible tablets from what I hear if I need more storage I can buy a external hard drive with alot of space if I need more storage and if I need a cd/dvd burner they make external USB burners so that wouldn't be a issue.

What do u guys think? I'm not talking about a rt tablet either I want the full pro experience on a convertible tablet. I'll probably be getting rid of my laptop in a month or so once the newer tablets/convertibles start coming out.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you can hang on a bit longer I would. I'm not expecting anything new over the next month, but I'm sure we'll see some new ones this fall. Otherwise if your not looking for latest and greatest, there are some good ones you can get now. I have the VivoTab Smart and I love it. It doesn't have a docking keyboard, but that's ok.

Kajix75

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, the laptop has got better performance and doesn't heat up. The convertible is lighter, but it will be heavier if you use the keyboard. And like the Surface Pro, it always produces heat (only tablet with Intel Core processor). So if you need performance, get a laptop/ultrabook. If you need portability and you use keyboard a lot, get a convertible.

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you looked at the Asus Vivobook. It's a cheap, touchscreen Windows 8 device which although it is a laptop (well notebook technically), and you say you don't really need a keyboard "apart from the odd resume", it's always handy to have it, and I wouldn't want to type a CV (english equivalent of a resume) on a touchscreen keybpard, which is why I went for a Vivobook, and not a tablet.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, the laptop has got better performance and doesn't heat up. The convertible is lighter, but it will be heavier if you use the keyboard. And like the Surface Pro, it always produces heat (only tablet with Intel Core processor). So if you need performance, get a laptop/ultrabook. If you need portability and you use keyboard a lot, get a convertible.
my current laptop heats up and cuts off wen it gts overheated that's why I wanted to get rid of it for a convertible, i'd mainly be using the tablet part of it, I jus want the laptop portion for extra connectivity and storage options.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
my current laptop heats up and cuts off wen it gts overheated that's why I wanted to get rid of it for a convertible, i'd mainly be using the tablet part of it, I jus want the laptop portion for extra connectivity and storage options.

I'm just curious... Do you use your current laptop on a bed or other soft/plush object? Does it overheat on a flat tabletop surface?

Just asking... I have seen laptops that are just junk overheat, usually from overworking a lower spec'd model or it was just junk... More so than any of that is the environment the user puts it in... Placing the laptop in a place were it can't breathe or has a clogged fan is no good.

Any who that is on my many loves for my surface rt. It generates very little heat. It is a tablet first. The pro is a pc/laptop in a tablet form. I personally have a few great laptops and PC's. Everyone has a purpose. Try to figure out your real needs and possibly get both. My rt does almost all I ever need mobile and can remote to other computers when it does not. My laptops are great, one being an ultrabook, but I only take them when really needed. The rt goes everything. I only develop on my desktop, but on rare occasion my laptop, like when I am out of town...

What do you really need?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
the only thing I really need is to browse the web, download music and manage music mayb adjust my resume here and there and to store music I don't use my laptop for anything really heavy duty.

My laptop really just heats up if I have it on for a long time or like u said blocking the fan at the bottom of it like laying down with it or something like that on the bed. That's why id rather have the convertible where I could disconnect and lay down with or travel easier with. I wanted the envy x2 but I felt it was overpriced and was reading new better spec cheaper convertibles would be on the way so I held out id want the pro/convertible type of tablet

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to buy a wireless/Bluetooth keyboard. I have two carrying cases. One is a small tablet sleeve for when I want to carry just my tablet and then I have a larger laptop bag when I need to carry everything.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I know this is sacrilege on this forum, but I'd give serious consideration to a chromebook.

If you want to do a little more than just browse the internet and local storage is important to you, then I second the Asus VivoBook X202E recommendation. I have that very computer, and except for the poor battery life it is a very solid device, exactly what a netbook-like computer should be. I don't use that computer's touchscreen much, but it's a good feature to have (and even though I've learned most of the non-touch inputs for Windows 8 tile mode, Windows 8 tile mode IMO isn't as convenient to use as previous versions of Windows on non-touchscreen devices, though it isn't terrible or anything like that).

zkSharks

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine recently picked up the Acer Aspire R7, and although I had my reservations at first, I used it extensively for about a week while he was in town. It really is a nice device. Using it in the laptop-like mode takes some getting used to due to the trackpad placement, but using it in the tablet, tablet+keyboard, or standalone display orientations are all very nice experiences. The sound is quite good too.

I've used tablets docked to a keyboard/mouse/monitor setup as my primary computer off and on over the past two years, and it's worked very well for the type of usage you described. Picking up a tablet or convertible with a Haswell chip will offer a nice increase in battery life as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani