Windows 8 comic reader

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Just joined the Windows 8 tablet crowd with an Acer Iconia W3. Any suggestions on the best comic book reader for the OS? There seems to be several in the market, but any firsthand feedback would be great.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use comixology and haven't looked at any others.

Huge range of comics
Can be read from cloud or downloaded to device
Always having sales and promos
Reader can be by page or by panel which I think is great.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I assume he means cbr/cbz, because Comixology is the only one I know of that lets you buy in an app (well, Nook does too I think).

I tested out a couple but never ended up buying one as I don't actually read many comics... but ComicsJolt was the best I found.

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I assume he means cbr/cbz, because Comixology is the only one I know of that lets you buy in an app (well, Nook does too I think).

I tested out a couple but never ended up buying one as I don't actually read many comics... but ComicsJolt was the best I found.

Thanks for the input, and yes I was referring to cbz, etc.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I like Nook for comics. Mainly because I'm getting back into them and you can buy trades cheaper than individual issues. This will allow me to jump into storylines. (i.e. Batman 52 vol. 1 has issues 1-7 for $10).

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
One comic reader i like its Comix, the UI isnt that pretty, but it has nice functionality. I tested some comic readers and comix seemed to be the one that i got used to. also there is one Komic reader that has a nice scroll mode, so you scroll down Reading your comic. thats like the only good feature why i keep it :p
I also have used ComicsJolt light, it doesnt feel too bad, but it took like 90 hours to load my comic library. but it looks nice and has nice features, but of course ads ruin the experience if you use a mouse! but you will use touch so maybe ads wont bother you.

Last edited:

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I like Nook for comics. Mainly because I'm getting back into them and you can buy trades cheaper than individual issues. This will allow me to jump into storylines. (i.e. Batman 52 vol. 1 has issues 1-7 for $10).

I have found myself doing that as well. To bad Kindle doesn't support comics on Windows 8 yet. I'll have to check out Nook for that.

SeanMisselbrook

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the user above, I was using another previously but found it not as quick to use. Cover is tidy, works very well and is quick. It was a few ? but money well spent.

French Fry Software

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm the developer of the Cover Windows app.

This forum is one of the referrers that gets us many downloads. So i hope you won't mind if i come here to inform you all that we are currently in beta for Cover for Windows Phone 8.1.
If anyone is interested, please subscribe at this URL : eepurl.com/8P7l1

Also, if you have any questions about Cover i'll be glad to answer them if i can.

Enjoy your comic books

Last edited:

French Fry Software

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys !

The beta is now over. We've had a lot of feedback thanks to you and windowscentral, and you can now download the Windows Phone app.
Learn more here :
windowsphone.com/s?appId=0109b4de-c9fe-4aab-92a0-7e1d064a08c9

And of course, you can still download the Windows app here :
apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/189c45c1-9c90-42c0-8374-9f2e4c9eddef

It's a universal app, so if you unlocked on one device, you'll get the unlock on the others.

Cheers !

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
How do I get comic I have on, say, comixology on to Cover?
I'm not familiar with how comixology works, but I assume that they have some proprietary format that is locked down with DRM. If that is true, I do not believe that you can use Cover to read that comixology comic.

For what it's worth, Cover is in my opinion the best comic reader (cbz/cbr) available for the Modern UI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077