A few days with Windows RT

mgftp

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Edit: (Edited post as system updates resolved some of my issues!)

I just picked up a VivoTab RT and have many options on the thing thus far, so I wanted to make a thread for others in the market and for anyone to possibly help me around the shortcomings I see with the device.

Firstly, why I purchased it - I saw it on clearance for $250 with keyboard dock and couldn't pass up giving it a try at that price - been looking for something with a bright screen to use outside and something that could replace both my Nexus 10 and Win7 laptop with one device, to make things simpler, especially when traveling. I found myself always bringing both devices, because even though I much preferred using the Nexus 10 for the majority of things, some tasks along the productivity side were simply much easier with a Windows based laptop.

So Windows RT, I was expecting to hate it based upon the amount of times I have heard it trashed. Metro is not bad at all, a good interface and although the app selection is minimal all the major players are there, I haven't yet found myself needing something that isn't available. Overall, I like it, in some ways better than my loved Android, but now, the two shortcomings:

1. I am greatly missing Chrome, I now know why I left IE years ago and never looked back.
2. Some websites display as mobile and I do not see an option within the browser to request the full site.

Any work-arounds for my issues?

If I were to look into getting a similar device running full win8 what would you recommend? If one of my requirements is 600nit brightness or higher is the VivoTab my only option? I couldn't find any others with brightness even close, but I am not that familiar with all the models available. Also starting to think more than 2MB of memory would be nice if I upgraded to a full Win8 device, things are sluggish with multiple tabs open compared to the 8MB laptop I am coming from.

Thanks

Last edited:

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's strange that YouTube videos doesn't work for you, because they work great on my Surface RT

mgftp

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
sounds like he doesn't have all the updates, like the Flash update if he cant see youtube.

This was the problem! Installed a bunch of updates this morning and my poker also works now too, well the play in browser option anyway - I figure downloading the PC client isn't worth trying. But with the youtube thing and ability to play poker resolved with updates this machine is much more bearable!

Edit: I will edit my OP the reflect what are now just two issues I have with the device. If there was a way to force desktop viewing in the browser I could learn to live without Chrome.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you really gain nothing by browsing from the desktop. only reason you need to go to the desktop is to adjust IE options that you can't in metro (yet)

mgftp

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
you really gain nothing by browsing from the desktop. only reason you need to go to the desktop is to adjust IE options that you can't in metro (yet)

Its probably just a personal preference thing but I hate having to swipe down to view and switch tabs on the metro version of IE so I use the desktop even when I am using just the tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arthur Dent