Frustrated with the Blogs

anon(5973126)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am really getting tired of the Tech writers who think of themselves as the gods of Technology but can't even grasp the basic difference between the Windows RT and Windows Pro Versions. For all the Idiots in crapchutes like Engadget, CNET, Verge, ZDNet.. Etc please let a puny human explain the difference to you.

Windows 8 RT- It is a tablet version of the Windows 8 OS like your beloved IOS for Tablets or Android. It doesn?t need to be backward compatible or install desktop software as it is a TABLET OS.

Windows 8 Pro - It is a laptop OS, the version after Windows 7 (Hence the 8). So it will be able to do everything you throw at it. The trade off here will be lower battery life because of the specs.

I don?t know when they will get through their lizard brains that they have to compare Apples with other Apples not Oranges.

anon(5973126)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The Main source of my frustration was, when the Surfa ce RT/Windows RT was released the blogs constantly complained about the inability to install desktop Applications, Flash, Scaled down Office.. Etc. They were comparing the RT Tablets to the Laptops instead of IPad or Android tablets. And when the Surface Pro was released they were complaining about battery life comparing it to the Tablet, even though it has the same battery life of an average laptop.

Even now they are trying to preempt the Nokia 'Sirius' and Surface 2 Tablets with the same invalid criticisms.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
What they write is out of your control. How you choose to react to them is something you can control. Basically.... get over yourself.

anon(5973126)

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem is they wont go away if you stop reading them, not saying that they should. They influence the decisions of a lot of people, I expect them to be fair and have a little bit of COMMONSENSE.

If you read the sites like CNET , Verge.. Etc.. You will be under the impression that the whole world except you and a few others is using IPhones , IPads and Macbooks but the reality is much different.

I like the approach of Mobile Nations, they provide a stage for the fans of each platform.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Tech Geeks actually comprise a very, very small portion of the cell phone market. No one reads those reviews besides the tech geeks.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I used to be like the original poster. I would also get frustrated with the articles that bash Windows 8 or somehow get lost on what Windows RT is. These days, I read it, give it a big F U, and dismiss it.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The problem is they wont go away if you stop reading them, not saying that they should. They influence the decisions of a lot of people, I expect them to be fair and have a little bit of COMMONSENSE.

I think they could chase away serious users. But honestly, the average tech user doesn't read those blogs. Only interested people like us. I think the majority pick up a device based on what a "friend" says once they (the friend) gets one. Hence, the slow climb in Windows 8 devices. The more devices sold, the faster the climb.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
These days even the average guy/girl has internet and guess what they see when they Google about a device , the Tech blogs and their articles.

We underestimate the reach of these things and they do affect buying decisions.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No, I don't think we do. Most people just plunge in with their first phone and just get something, maybe influenced by friends (as stated above). If the average person does read some kind of tech rant, they don't understand half the babble anyway so it doesn't make too much sense to them.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I am really getting tired of the Tech writers who think of themselves as the gods of Technology but can't even grasp the basic difference between the Windows RT and Windows Pro Versions. For all the Idiots in crapchutes like Engadget, CNET, Verge, ZDNet.. Etc please let a puny human explain the difference to you.

Windows 8 RT- It is a tablet version of the Windows 8 OS like your beloved IOS for Tablets or Android. It doesn?t need to be backward compatible or install desktop software as it is a TABLET OS.

Windows 8 Pro - It is a laptop OS, the version after Windows 7 (Hence the 8). So it will be able to do everything you throw at it. The trade off here will be lower battery life because of the specs.

I don?t know when they will get through their lizard brains that they have to compare Apples with other Apples not Oranges.

What you call a laptop OS gets installed in MS's flagship tablet. MS calls it a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Why do you care what someone else thinks of something you like? Does your self esteem revolve around inanimate objects? Get over it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

Windows 8 RT- It is a tablet version of the Windows 8 OS like your beloved IOS for Tablets or Android. It doesn’t need to be backward compatible or install desktop software as it is a TABLET OS.

I don’t know when they will get through their lizard brains that they have to compare Apples with other Apples not Oranges.
You're outrage is misplaced.... Blame Microsoft. They are the ones that created the confusion. Apple didn't call their tablet OS "OSX" and their desktop OS "OSX Pro" and have yet a 3rd OS for their phone.

Microsft should've called Windows RT, "Surface OS" and called the Surface Pro something entirely different. The one thing that Microsoft did right was when they called everything Zune. Zune software for syncing and managing, Zune was the device, Zune marketplace for media.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
You know you can just not read the blogs. I have developed the "click bait" sense. If the headline is positive for Apple don't click, if it's negative for Microsoft don't click, defending Google/Android don't click. Very simple now you aren't feeding the leviathan bloggers.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You know you can just not read the blogs. I have developed the "click bait" sense. If the headline is positive for Apple don't click, if it's negative for Microsoft don't click, defending Google/Android don't click. Very simple now you aren't feeding the leviathan bloggers.

I avoid click bait period... All it does is separate people... Well, ignorance does that. The click bait attracts ignorant people.

I understand why, but at the same time I don't... Where are the ethics and standards for these journalist. It used to be just the facts and you form your opinion, not it is biased and unprofessional...

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
You're outrage is misplaced.... Blame Microsoft. They are the ones that created the confusion. Apple didn't call their tablet OS "OSX" and their desktop OS "OSX Pro" and have yet a 3rd OS for their phone.

Microsft should've called Windows RT, "Surface OS" and called the Surface Pro something entirely different. The one thing that Microsoft did right was when they called everything Zune. Zune software for syncing and managing, Zune was the device, Zune marketplace for media.
the new surface commercial and ms's decision to no longer use "rt" or another variant is also very confusing.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Agreed!.

Or just skipped the rt mess all together and pushed a really kick *** fondle slab ( pro ? Anyone? ) as the future...
Less confusion at the sales floor, and less aggregation at home when they realize "this doesn't run windows? Wth ?"

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I avoid click bait period... All it does is separate people... Well, ignorance does that. The click bait attracts ignorant people.

I understand why, but at the same time I don't... Where are the ethics and standards for these journalist. It used to be just the facts and you form your opinion, not it is biased and unprofessional...

Well to quote congress "bloggers aren't journalists." I don't agree with the statement in some areas of the blogsphere but in the tech blogsphere there is very few with journalistic integrity. Look up the definition of journalist and then attempt to apply to "The Verge", "Engadget", etc. Their bloggers don't make it past the "objective" definition.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Agreed!.

Or just skipped the rt mess all together and pushed a really kick *** fondle slab ( pro ? Anyone? ) as the future...
Less confusion at the sales floor, and less aggregation at home when they realize "this doesn't run windows? Wth ?"
If they did that, I would have had absolutely no interest in it. I didn't want a Surface Pro. Not in the slightest. I wasn't about to take a step backward with a (relatively speaking) thicker tablet that needed a fan, and because of full Windows, all the maintenance and support headaches of a desktop computer.

People can complain about the locked-down ecosystem of iOS, and their complaints would be valid, but the iPad excels in providing as trouble-free mobile experience as possible. Android tablets offer more flexibility but along with it comes some of that maintenance at the cost of trouble-free.

The Surface RT is the first tablet that had the potential to truly bridge the gap between mobile tablet and netbook. Microsoft's decisions on the hardware design were just about perfect IMO. Apple apologists claim that to add support for a microSD slot, HDMI, and full USB would force the iPad to be thicker... and yet the RT contains all of those things and is just as thin as my iPad 4. Having that magnetic connector (where the keyboard snaps on) was a brilliant decision and allowed Microsoft to develop some truly innovative accessories for it. The TypeCover2 is by far THE best keyboard solution for any tablet.

Driver support, printer support, hardware connectivity, etc. allow me to do things on the RT that are not possible with other tablets but common on netbooks.

As Win RT matures, I believe that Microsoft will improve on how it hides the maintenance from the end user. Clean up the bugs (battery drain bug, please!) Beef up the apps, and keep supporting the RT and it would have a great future.

The only fly in the ointment from my perspective is the capacitive touch sensors on the screen. I think Microsoft may have taken a shortcut/cut-a-corner to save money that will detract from the overall tablet experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos