IE11 Metro RT vs IE11 Metro X86

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Does IE11 Metro touch version have all the same issues on both X86 and ARM tablets.
The reason I ask is I use IE Metro touch version no external KB more than any other app and most of the sites I visit on a daily visit all have some kind of compatibility issues, search forms, pull sown menus, etc.
I am currently running a Lumina 2520 which I really like yet I am not sure if RT is the underlying problem.
I am not interested in running desktop apps as they are designed to be used with a real KB and mouse/trackpad.
If I want that experience I will use my Windows 7 tablet

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The Metro version of Internet Explorer on Windows RT/ARM devices is pretty much a carbon copy of the Metro version you'll find on x86 and x64, full blown Windows devices. Pretty much any "metro" app you'll find in the Windows 8 Marketplace or that comes preinstalled is exactly the same on every device, no matter what core architecture it utilizes.

As for compatibility issues, Metro IE 11 renders webpages almost exactly the same as desktop IE 11. If your webpages look fine on that, they'll look fine on Metro IE. And while IE on Windows Phone and Windows 8 are very similar, they still render things a bit differently (mobile device, ya know). So take a look at you webpages on IE 11 first, Windows Phone isn't the best measuring stick for that.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well for giggles I went down to try out a Surface 2 Pro to see if IE worked any different and the answer is no, same issues I have on my 2520
though it does run faster as it should, 900 vs 500 $
I assume as time guys buy Microsft will hammer out these bugs.
At the end I don't feel so bad, Apple IOS 7 plus Safari = crashes a lot on the sites I frequent.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have found that IE11 Metro has problems with a lot of forums, the page freezes and IE crashes. I can open the same page on the desktop IE11 without any issues at all. Probably not related to your issue (and with an RT device no way to tell for sure), but just shows that the two versions of IE are not identical (Metro vs. Desktop)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That ^^^ was happening on this site for me a lot until I turned on tracking protection. Then I was fine.

The biggest problem with "metro" IE 11 is that when using touch it can't seem to emulate a "mouse over" hover. So many pull-down menus don't work.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Metro version of IE11 is pretty bad imo. I just use desktop version and add websites that don't display properly to Compatibility View setting. It's under Tools->Compatibility View settings.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how the keyboard doesn't pop up automatically in desktop mode. Its really annoying to have to bring it up everytime you want to type, or am I missing a setting to automate it?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't like how the keyboard doesn't pop up automatically in desktop mode. Its really annoying to have to bring it up everytime you want to type, or am I missing a setting to automate it?

Nope, it's a frequent complaint about Windows 8 desktop when being used with touch as a whole. Aside from Office 2013, the keyboard must always be manually conjured up. That's because the Windows 8 desktop touch support is largely untouched from Windows 7, meaning it's very poor.

So while Microsoft did add a nice ribbon feature to Windows Explorer, revamp the Task Manager (love it!) and several other great upgrades to the desktop in Windows 8, it's still largely a nightmare if you're trying to touch it, because with the desktop design, touch was largely an afterthought (and hence the reason why the completely redesigned it with the Metro UI).

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
As we are currently talking about IE metro vs desktop I might want to ask for support here. :)

I noticed that, whenever I open the IE in the modern ui, the desktop version starts. (Chrome used to be my default browser)
After reading around for a while some descriptions told me to clear the default browser and define IE as the default. Said and done.
But still, whenever I click IE in the modern ui the desktop application opens. HOWEVER: I set the "Set default browser" as my start page for now. For one reason: When choosing IE on the starpage, the metro version starts. After closing IE and opening it again -> Desktop IE

So Win 8.1 experts: What might be the issue here? I already tried to remove the icon from the modern ui and choose it from the apps list and also searched for IE, I always end up with the desktop app. I have "Start is Back" installed but I'm not sure if that leads to the issue. At least it has no parameter (that I found) that would define IE desktop vs metro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans