Best 2in1 or Tablet 10-13 inch with Wacom Support?

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey fellows,

I currently own the Surface Pro 2 for 1 week. Quite happy with it until I read about the CPU upgrade. Microsoft offered me to send the SP2 back and order the new SP2 with the vPro-CPU (the 1,9 GHz isn't main reason to send it back / replace it with the SP2.5).
Now that I have a few days left to send it back and as the SP2.5 is currently out of stock in Germany, I'm wondering if there might be an even better deal for a productivity tool.

The following parameters are a must:
- i5/i7 CPU
- 10-13-inch
- min 1920x1080. Preferably higher (The Samsung Ativ Q screen would have been perfect but the product has been discontinued and we don't know what's coming up next yet.)
- WACOM pen
- SSD
- price range: 1,000-1,100 Euro (USD 1,350-1,500)
- Windows 8 Pro (RT is not an option)

There are some pretty nice options for Windows 8 2in1 and tablets out there. But as soon as a WACOM comes into play options aren't that awesome anymore.
Do you think I should stick with the SP2 and just wait for the next round of SP2.5s? So far I'm not disappointed with the device at all. A higher resolution would be nice though.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the Yoga is, that the small ones with the pen only have an i3. The big ones are way too expensive in Germany (> US$ 2050).
One thing I noticed there as well, is that they don't use a SSD drive, well 16GB (I added this to my requirements). That's something I don't wanna miss anymore. :)
I was definitely checking this out. The Yoga 2 was looking great as well but it's not a Thinkpad and therefore has no pen support which is REALLY a pity.

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can. But if you check the i3 touch & pen model (which would be the one in my price range) you are not able to replace it with an i5.
And the only ones with an i5 touch & pen start at 1,500 Euro (US$ 2050). Those however still have a hdd, not a ssd. If you want to enjoy a ssd they will charge you another few hundred bucks. So making this a proper device (i5 + ssd) will completely kill your wallet.

Based on that I think the Surface Pro 2 is the much better deal.

exyaized

Banned
Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you really need Win 8.1 Pro? Going with normal Win 8.1 will reduce the Price by 80 euros.

So you get for about 1500 euros the yoga with:
Wacom
i5
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

You can ask lenovo support for a discount code. Some users reported they got 10-15% off.

The Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga is the best convertible you can get right now if Wacom is needed.
Surface 2 Pro is 1280 euros without keyboard + you can not easy change the SSD if you need later 500GB or so.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
CES is in a few days, could be a few surprises there. I've heard of a Wacom Asus transformer book so far, could be more.

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Always forget about the CES. Thanks for the reminder, Sir. I'll definitely wait what next week brings.
Qualcomm already announced something pretty nice which we will not see on a Surface anytime soon though (my opinion)
Ultra Sound NotePad

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Yoga 11S with an i5 Haswell (not on Lenovo.com, last time I looked, but Best Buy has it). It doesn't have a pen, but it's a great little machine, IMO. I love it.

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No doubt, there are some pretty nice 2-in-1, convertibles etc. out there. But not too many with a pen. :)
And as it's currently just a note taking tool no pen support is a no-go for me.
But let's see what CES brings next week. Can still return the Surface till the end of January and decide if I just replace it with the Surface "2.5" (which is currently out of stock anyway) or switch to another one.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Another idea is you could try supplementing your SP with the upcoming Asus Vivotab Note 8 as a pure note taking device, uses Wacom like the SP and you could use Onenote and all your notes are automatically synced to the more powerful device.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss