Dell Latitude 10 Tablet vs Dell Venue 11 Pro

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, carrying around my Dell Precision M4700 is definitely NOT fun.

I am considering getting Windows tablet for doing basic document / web surfing work with a keyboard attachment.

I was looking at Dell Latitude 10 vs Dell Venue 11 Pro mainly for their user replaceable batteries (especially the Latitude 10 with its ability to have a 4 cell battery in the back!)

Battery life was the most important consideration. And I know how important it is to have a device with replaceable battery from my experiences (so definitely won't be getting a Surface, sorry)

It seems that these two Dell tablets are very similarly spec'd except the Venue 11 has a screen that is .7 inch bigger, which is not a big deal to me. I would be getting both with the Intel Atom processor, since I will be using my Precision for anything intense.

The Venue 11 Pro can be had from Microsoftstore Canada for around $600, while I can find a Dell certified refurbished Latitude 10 tablet from Ebay for about $400.
Buy Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet - Microsoft Store Canada Online Store

The spec seems pretty similar, but I do like the fact that I can add a 4 cell battery in the Latitude for the total battery life of 17 hours, which is why I am leaning towards the Latitude.

To summarize my questions
1) Do you own either of these devices? Could you let me know what you like and do not like about your Dell tablet? How are the keyboard options on both?
2) Do you have any experiences with Dell certified refurbished tablets? The one I am considering getting are
Dell Latitude 10 Tablet PC Intel Atom Z2760 10 1" WI FI Bluetooth 64GB WIN8 PRO 5397063354498 | eBay
Dell Latitude 10 Tablet Windows 8 PRO 64GB SSD Removable Batter 720P HD Camera 5397063354498 | eBay

- I have both my Dell Precision M4700 from Ebay, which was Dell certified refurbished, and it worked out fine with the laptop and Dell does not discriminate against refurbished products in their warranty either.

3) How are the Atom processors on both of these devices? My tablet will be mainly used for Office 2013, movie watching, and web surfing. I am thinking Atom might actually give a slightly longer battery life than the i3,i5 options on the tablets as well?

Please help me out

And thank you so much!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have never handled a Latitude 10 and my experience with the Venue's is limited to owning the 8 and handling the 11 for about a total of 30 minutes.

Do know that the latest generation of Atom is a major improvement over previous iterations, as least, thats what I have been led to believe.

For basic (or even normal) use, both should suffice, but I'd go for the 11 Pro if performance is on your mind.
The Core i3/5 versions are faster, run hotter (use fans) and probably use more power I believe.

sorry I can't help more

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion I would definitely go with the Venue 11 pro. The bay trail processor in the venue 11 is way better than the clover trail atom in the Latitude 10. It may cost more. But I like to get the best performance I can. I think the battery life is comparable between the two but can't confirm that. I do know the Venue 11 has a keyboard clamshell that includes a built battery extending the battery life even further. But that's additional cost. I currently have a clover trail atom tablet. Honestly it would work fine for your purposes. Because I use my tablet basically the same way. But i'm upgrading to the thinkpad 8 which has the same processor as the venue 11. Which is the most powerful atom processor. I want to upgrade to play some light pc gaming for ex: age of empires 2.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AoE II and older games like that probably would run anyway on a Clover Trail. I remember playing it on my dad's Windows 2000-equipped laptop with much much less in terms of specs than even last years Atom tablet.
But for more recent ones like Starcraft 2, go for it. My Venue 8P is the only computer in the house that can run it at a respectable framerate.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
True it would. I have actually played AoE II HD (new HD version on steam!) on my Clover Trail machine. So it isn't quite the same as the older AoE II. It runs pretty good locally. But when I try to play game over the internet is when it gets sluggish. I don't think it is my internet. I get 50 to 60 down and 10 to 15 up. But on this tablet I can get about 15 down and 5 up. Which isn't to bad. But I did also try plugging in a usb to Ethernet adapter to increase speed. Still didn't do much to help. I don't think the clover trail can handle playing this game over the internet.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, another thing I have in mind is that the Latitude is a business line and the Venue is a consumer line.

So the consumer line would obviously give you better specs for the money, but the business models would give you a better built hardware with more cooling. At least that is what I think from owning numerous laptops in the past, which is why I went for a Dell Precision even if I could get better specs for the same price had I gone for a consumer line laptop.

I am not sure if this is the case with tablets, but there is more to it then just internal specs, so the name "Latitude" gives me more confidence. :p

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Just chatted with my brother he has seen both the Latitude 10 and Venue 11 in person and also had the opportunity to play with them both. He said the build quality is the same. And the design is similar. The Venue 11 is lighter and thinner than the Latitude 10. He is a IT Technician. The name doesn't seem to mean much between these two tablets. He said that the Venue 11 appeared to just be an improvement of the Latitude 10.

dragon788

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,
This is a common misconception (Latitude tablet = business and Venue tablet = consumer). Its actually not that straightforward, and I've spoken with our Dell rep who has said much the same.

Latitude 10 was kind of a flop, as were the Latitude XT/XT2/XT3 before it. They worked, but not great, and weren't widely adopted. With the Venue Dell basically wanted to distance their tablets from the Latitude name to avoid further damaging the reputation of either line.

The Latitude 10 (ST) was a decent tablet, but definitely suffered from some limitations. We have a demo unit, but the resolution wasn't great, no dual monitor support without external USB display cards, and those overtaxed the CPU.

The Venue 11 Pro (non-Pro means consumer) comes with a Core i series CPU, which allows for much more flexibility and power. The new dock for the Venue 11 allows for dual external monitors as well as USB 3 and gigabit network connectivity. They also contain the Intel vPro management features as well as being able to get up to 8GB of RAM and a 256GB or 512GB SSD in them.

The Venue 11 (and 8) non-Pro versions are aimed more at consumers, they have many of the same features, but run the slower/cooler Atom processors which allows for possibly longer battery life at the expense of performance. But an interesting thing is that the Atoms ship with a 32Wh battery while the Pros ship with a 36Wh battery, so the end result may be closer than you'd think.

squadz

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
This is a common misconception (Latitude tablet = business and Venue tablet = consumer). Its actually not that straightforward, and I've spoken with our Dell rep who has said much the same.

Latitude 10 was kind of a flop, as were the Latitude XT/XT2/XT3 before it. They worked, but not great, and weren't widely adopted. With the Venue Dell basically wanted to distance their tablets from the Latitude name to avoid further damaging the reputation of either line.

The Latitude 10 (ST) was a decent tablet, but definitely suffered from some limitations. We have a demo unit, but the resolution wasn't great, no dual monitor support without external USB display cards, and those overtaxed the CPU.

The Venue 11 Pro (non-Pro means consumer) comes with a Core i series CPU, which allows for much more flexibility and power. The new dock for the Venue 11 allows for dual external monitors as well as USB 3 and gigabit network connectivity. They also contain the Intel vPro management features as well as being able to get up to 8GB of RAM and a 256GB or 512GB SSD in them.

The Venue 11 (and 8) non-Pro versions are aimed more at consumers, they have many of the same features, but run the slower/cooler Atom processors which allows for possibly longer battery life at the expense of performance. But an interesting thing is that the Atoms ship with a 32Wh battery while the Pros ship with a 36Wh battery, so the end result may be closer than you'd think.

Essentially what he said, same information I've heard.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Dell Latitude 10 ste and I would recommend you get any model newer, so go for the 11 Pro. I have no complaints against my 10 ste but I can see the limitations of Atom processor occasionally. If you are on a tight budget, then there is nothing wrong with the 10 ste. Mine is a refurbished unit and apart from the occasional freeze/lag (due to me having too many programs open) it works well and satisfactorily. it is a little slow on opening up office programs but my main reason for getting it at the time was both the price and a full usb port (which was my main requirement). Battery life is fairly good and I have a 128GB SD card, so I am not suffering for lack of space at the moment.

VictorA

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Latitude STE for a year. I worked for Dell till the start of the year. Good machine. Upgrading to 8.1 has a few challenges. Batterey life is good.
I just upgraded the tablet as I need a littel more power larger Visio files etc. Had not found it wanting otherwise.

The new tablet which will double as my PC - MS Surface Pro. $599 in Australia with the 3rd Gen i5 processor with 4GB and 128GB SSD. Thought about spending double that for the newer tablet. Didn't see the value. Will buy the new powered keyboard which will up the battery life by another 70%. Should give me about a day's work.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yup I have decided to go for the Venue 11 Pro.

$550 from Microsoftstore is pretty reasonable to me.

I will also be getting a mobile keyboard with the additional battery. I read that some people are having connection issues with the keyboard. Does the mobile keyboard work well? (For the Venue 11 pro owners).

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered my Venue 11 Pro with an Atom processor.

But I could not order the mobile keyboard since Microsoftstore does not have any stock on the keyboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99