Best touchscreen laptop or convertible under $500?

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am going to sell my original surface rt. It is slow and buggy and windows rt does not Run desktop apps. I bought an asus t100 to replace it but I dropped it Christmas Day and it cracked :( . So left side of touch screen does not work. Well now I am looking for a decent touchscreen laptop or convertible under $500. I want a good processor (Intel) and lots of storage (250+gb hdd). I prefer a 11 inch screen. Only thing about deciding is that intel will reveal new chips soon and there will be more products out, though I think they will mainly be tablets. So, any ideas on a decent reliable touchscreen laptop/convertible for $500 or less?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My first recommendation would be the T100 which you already have picked up.

Another good option is the Intel Bay Trail/Atom version of the Dell Venue 11 Pro, but it will bust that budget by $100 when you tack on the keyboard addon.
Doesn't have enough storage either.

The original Surface Pro is $599 I believe, still over budget.

A shadier option is a secondhand device, but its hit and miss. But if you get a hit it would be a good deal.

There are numerous touchscreen laptops in that price grade, but I don't know them as well as the tablet lineup. So hopefully others will chime in.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I picked up a Lenovo S400 Touch notebook a few months back for $379. 14" touch display, 500GB harddrive, 4GB RAM, Intel i3 processor. This is a very thin notebook... essentially it is a bargain-basement ultrabook. The only downside is battery life... 2-3 hrs. Performance is great. Keyboard is terrific. Build quality, IMO, exceeds that of others in this price range.

14" screen seems to be a nice spot between the 15" luggables and 11" netbooks/tablets. I also like the fact that it doesn't have the added bulk and width of numeric keypad.

Last edited:

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the dell but having to pay $500 plus $160 for keyboard is expensive. Maybe I should just wait for the newer tablets coming out windows the new atom chip. It is weird that most of the bay trail tablets are 8 inch, besides hp omni, asus t100, and dell venue 11, lenovo miix 2 10, that is about it.

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I found a refurbished dell venue 11 pro for $500 with 128gb and intel core i3. Usually it is $800 new and intel atom bay trail with 64gb is $500 new. Hmm... Looks like a good deal. Should I go for it? Anyone own a dell venue 11 pro? How is it?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I found a refurbished dell venue 11 pro for $500 with 128gb and intel core i3. Usually it is $800 new and intel atom bay trail with 64gb is $500 new. Hmm... Looks like a good deal. Should I go for it? Anyone own a dell venue 11 pro? How is it?

That sounds like a decent deal. If it were me, I would be tempted.
worth noting the Core iX's are fan equipped and the Bay Trail tablets aren't.

I had an acquaintance with the top-of-the-line 11 Pro and it was sometimes buggy.
I personally own its little brother, the 8 Pro and it is solid for the most part. But it does have its quirks.
Those are pure anecdotal evidence from two data points though.
YMMV.

You are probably going to want to pick up the slim keyboard or the full blown keyboard dock so take those into account. It'll add a good $100 or so. Unless it comes bundled, then its a great deal.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Core versions are bugged. Only buy the bay trail one.

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Core versions are bugged. Only buy the bay trail one.

Well I bought the i3 and it is works fine. Does get glitchy but that is only when I have blue stacks running. Super fast compared to my macbook pro and asus t100. It runs circled around my old surface rt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There are literally dozens of actually laptops with touchscreens these days. A little patience can get new in box for under $500 on an Amazon or EBay. You could also find a decent deal on New Eggor Tiger.com, though those two tend to have more "high end" options. Asus, HP, and Dell each heve several. My wife recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a great set of internals for just a fraction over $500. I have a new HP on the way for just over $400. Asus and Lenovo also have convetional laptops in your price range. Tablets/convertables may be actually more expensive because they are more desirable right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap