Best cheap tablet with active digitizer (+ stylus presumably)

Tiemen_S

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
The title pretty much says it all. I got inspired by the recent article concerning the 5 best tablets for note-taking, which can be found here: Some great Windows tablets for note-taking | Windows Central

Being a student, my budget isn't very high. I would like pressure sensitivity, as it seems to allow for a more accurate writing experience. Therefore, the Asus VivoTab Note 8 seemed the way to go. I don't care much for the latest processor, it needs to run OneNote just fine and that's basically it.

However, since I'm from The Netherlands or Europe so to speak, availability of all the options isn't that high and prices are far from friendly. I could not find a decent offering in NL, but amazon.de got them around ?200.

​But before ordering I would like to either test it or find somewhat more decent reviews (WCentral doesn't have one?).

​So in conclusion:
​-Do you know any cheap note-taking Windows tablets with active digitizers?
-Price?
​-Availability in Europe/NL?

​Cheers,
Tiemen

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Word of caution, I owned the Note 8 for some time and there was an issue with the calibration. Granted, I was an early adopter and the issue may have been fixed through an update already but the problem was that the digitizer simply would not register taps near the edges when in portrait mode. I use Windows Journal quite a bit to take handwritten notes on the go and this tablet could never write on the lines well. I got used to "aiming" higher on the display to get my text to fall on the lines but I'd hate to see a student like yourself with limited resources not get what you need. Best of luck.

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad 2 that I got on Amazon for a steal of $150. Even though the price is nice but probably not there anymore... I would not recommend this tablet T:
The process of updating and maintaining this device is a bit steep.
The calibration on a Wacom Feel stylus is meh.
Coloring on the Fresh Paint is a better experience than taking notes AHAHAHHA
OneNote is much better on a ten inch or higher screen.

As much as I have invested in this device,
paper and pen still make me happiest
& if you need your notes to be digitalized so bad,
Just Office Lense them. T:

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I heard the Toshiba Encore Write version is magic though, look out for deals. If it doesn't happen now, it eventually will.

Tiemen_S

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
@heli0m, your T: smiley confused me for a sec! Thanks for the advice, both of you. I heard that quite some Fujitsu's ship with active digitizers, anybody know something more about that?

​Also, is there a "Write" version of the original Encore or did you mean the Toshiba Encore 2 Write?

Last edited:

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's my ' Just because I got a damn good price on it doesn't mean I'm over the moon happy with it ' face.
I meant the Encore 2 Write O:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I just received my Toshiba Encore 2 Write ($349 at the Microsoft Store). It's a pretty good tablet as far as the stylus (Wacom AES) goes, I'll vouch for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon