Windows is pretty awesome, and we should be reminding iPad users why!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
You neglected to add "weekly Windows updates that have a 50% chance of installing without introducing a bug" as one of the pretty awesome features of Windows on tablets. :winktongue:

Some on the list, like "active stylus" are not exclusive to Windows nor are they universal to all Windows tablets.

The article sounds more like a cheerleading back-slapping piece for fans.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
You neglected to add "weekly Windows updates that have a 50% chance of installing without introducing a bug" as one of the pretty awesome features of Windows on tablets. :winktongue:

Some on the list, like "active stylus" are not exclusive to Windows nor are they universal to all Windows tablets.

The article sounds more like a cheerleading back-slapping piece for fans.

Windows updates once per month :-\

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Windows updates once per month :-\
Not exactly true. While most updates occur on the 2nd or 4th Tuesday of the month, there are daily updates as well (primarily for but not limited to Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials). There are also driver updates that can occur outside of "Patch Tuesday" loads.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't see these as windows-updates. Windows updates once per month.
You are free to view them as you wish, but it is the "Windows Update" service that is delivering them, and it is specific to Windows services and subsystems. These updates (or whatever you would call them) have the possibility of disrupting usage of the tablet.. with a frequency of more than once a month. That was the point that I was making.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think too many have never known anything but auto updates and do not realize how nice user control and customization is or was at one time. They like everything decided for them by the O/S or installed software. Many are forced to learn when they get a buggy update and it causes major problems and have no idea what caused it through auto updating everything.

I check Microsoft updates a couple times each week along with checking for other software and hardware updates, along with searching the net for a updates bugs.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I just read the Verge article. I don't want to be negative, and I might be missing something, but aren't virtually all of those functions, or a very close equivalent, also available on Android and iOS?

Wasim Wes Adetunji

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I just read the Verge article. I don't want to be negative, and I might be missing something, but aren't virtually all of those functions, or a very close equivalent, also available on Android and iOS?

Hmm close equivalent? Integrated search with OCR? There is ONE Android tablet with pen support, does NOT have handwriting recognition. They're finally starting to copy split screen, but its largely a Windows exclusive and apps can only run in windows ON Windows, that the music locker is available on all devices including Xbox is unique...Share charm works with all apps instead of the handful of safari extensions like Bing translate.

These are definitely distinguishing features...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
There is just one Android tablet with pen support and all the most prominent Windows tablets have it.
Now you are backtracking. Your article implied that active stylus is something that is universal to all Windows tablets and is one reason why Windows tablets are superior to iPads...

In your article your wrote, " Only a Windows tablet can do this ________....like using my active stylus to draw diagrams and take notes without needing any paper in class."

You are wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Now you are backtracking. Your article implied that active stylus is something that is universal to all Windows tablets and is one reason why Windows tablets are superior to iPads...

In your article your wrote, " Only a Windows tablet can do this ________....like using my active stylus to draw diagrams and take notes without needing any paper in class."

You are wrong.

I think he said "prominent" windows tablets, not all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kowpozx