Lenovo Flex 3 keyboard is weird

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been in the market for a new laptop and decided to go with the Lenovo Flex 3 (which I didn't even know existed until a few days ago). It is so new that the only place that actually sells it is Lenovo.com. I got the one with the highest specs on sale. If you look on Flex 3 (15") | Affordable, Thin, & Light Multimode Laptop?| Lenovo US you will notice something strange though. The keyboard for the i7 model is "Backlight French-English". None of the other ones are like that. The others all say "Backlight English".

I asked someone at Lenovo what that meant because I was concerned that it wasn't in QWERTY format. They said (and im not sure I believe them) that it only meant that some of the keys have French characters underneath them. The keys should be in the same spot. When I looked up images of French-English keyboards, a lot of them have 2 characters on EVERY key. It looks like the keyboard can either be in French or English mode, but it also looks confusing because the characters are the same size.

I asked Lenovo why the heck they would make 1 model that comes with a weird keyboard and every other model doesn't, and they didn't have an answer. I haven't received the laptop yet but im a little nervous as to what to expect. I love the specs and the design of the laptop, but if the keyboard is a jumbled mess of characters then I may regret my purchase. I don't look at the keyboard to type, but I still feel like it could be very confusing.

Has anyone seen a French-English keyboard? Is it hard to adapt to? Can I expect the occasional small French character or a whole keyboard full of French letters?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If you'd like to see the keyboard up close, here is an image of what Lenovo does with French-English Keyboards. This is NOT a photo of the Flex 3, but of an older model laptop that they used a French-English keyboard. It may give you an idea of what one might look like. It basically makes it easier to enter French accent characters.
P580_FrenchKB.JPG

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty much what I needed to find. Why would they make a single model of the device have a French-English keyboard and none of the other ones?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
For anyone wondering, there is absolutely nothing weird about the keyboard. It doesn't have anything French on it. I don't know why they listed it as having French characters, but its just a normal keyboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs