windows tablet costs?

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
At the minute im saving to replace my dead gpu in my pc, on my wages it will take 5 to 6 months, after that i want to save up for a tablet, since i am writting programs for windows in my free time i would want a windows tablet BUT where ever i look they seem to be ?200 to ?400 vs android ones that can be as little as ?50. Am i looking in the wrong places or are windows tablets just that expensive?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows tablets come in all shapes, sizes, and prices.

I don't know pounds (?) but here in the US, the prices range from as low as $80 new to $1000+.
For the most part, you get what you pay for.

Android tablets are probably cheaper since there's a lower spec floor.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
ah yeah, the size i was looking at is 10inch plus, i have the lumia 736 which is at a guess 5 inch, and its great and all but i still reach for the laptop more often then not, for surfing the web and movie watching. sadly comparing usd to gbp doesnt work well, we have to pay 20% vat on top of the conversion and then most companies add another 30 odd percent as they think we will believe its all down to the tax lol. most of the ones i have looked at are microsoft own brand (surface range) but i confess i havent done much research yet (i am talking about 5 or 6 months before i can start to save)
Was kind of hoping some one would say "oh yeah you need to look up model xxjz by manufacturer xxy their always cheap" or some such lol

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on how much horsepower you need, some of the first low-power Windows tablets might work if you don't mind older hardware that's fanless, but with mediocre performance. (e.g. Dell Latitude 10...)

Tablets with the generation of Atoms after that are quite good in terms of performance.
I can't say about the tablet market over there but I suppose you can look at something like Linx (top thing at amazon.co.uk)

Dell's Venue 8 Pro tablet was generally the cheapest 8" tablet stateside, but that has since changed with even more cheapo models coming to market. I imagine the bottom-of-the-bargain-bin model shouldn't cost too much. (8" though)

Secondhand or refurbished may be a terrific option. But it naturally varies.

I don't know, just poking around Amazon.co.uk didn't paint a pretty price picture, but it looks like if you don't need a name-brand tablet the Linx something will work nicely.

I don't think they'll hit 50 GBP anytime soon.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
linx kind of looks like a large screen phone...though as i type that im thinking thats pretty much what a tablet is lol.
would have to be able to play video files (sd definition) and simple apps so not much needed horsepower wise.
still when im likely to be able to afford one windows 10 will be out....that just may turn everything about.

seems i have some food for thought

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
linx kind of looks like a large screen phone...though as i type that im thinking thats pretty much what a tablet is lol.
would have to be able to play video files (sd definition) and simple apps so not much needed horsepower wise.
still when im likely to be able to afford one windows 10 will be out....that just may turn everything about.

seems i have some food for thought

Yea, pretty much any modern tablet looks like an upscaled phone.

Most any Windows tablet should be able to handle those, so I guess its price and finding the right deal that's the only major issue.

I don't know if 10 will do much to dent hardware prices, but of course, the longer you wait, the cheaper things get. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett