ASUS Laptop Wifi Connection

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My ASUS Q302LA laptop which I bought last month has wifi connection issues. Was running fine at work and home, but recently (as last week) began showing that my connection is 'Limited' which makes it pretty useless. No way of connecting to the internet with that.

I've tried:
1. Forgetting the network and reentering my password
2. Restarting the laptop
3. Switching on airplane mode and redoing steps 1 through 2 again.

Nothing seems to help. Also, I know its not my connection either as the laptop I'm using to type this obviously works fine and the other devices and tablets I have work great in regards to wifi connection.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Check windows update history and see if anything related to your Wi-Fi has been updated. Uninstall that update if necessary. Also, see if there are new drivers for your Wi-Fi card from the manufacturers website.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Try this:

Open command prompt
Type ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

See if it actually fixes it

Thanks for the quick response.

Tried this and no luck. It says my Bluetooth and Wireless LAN are both disconnected. Tries to run a check, but doesnt get far as that prompt comes up.

Now, how were those connections disconnected (could an update have done this?) and how do I reconnect them?

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Check windows update history and see if anything related to your Wi-Fi has been updated. Uninstall that update if necessary. Also, see if there are new drivers for your Wi-Fi card from the manufacturers website.

Checked my history and nothing related to Wifi had an update Mostly just Defender, security, dictionary, and Windows 8.1 updates.

There may be an update, but can't install any since I can't access the internet. Kind of a catch-22, but thanks. :p

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Checked my history and nothing related to Wifi had an update Mostly just Defender, security, dictionary, and Windows 8.1 updates.

There may be an update, but can't install any since I can't access the internet. Kind of a catch-22, but thanks. :p

Have you thought about downloading it on your phone then transfer to PC?

Try this, Go to device manager, select your wifi card, then select update driver. Select browse manually. If that card has been updated, install the previous one.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ or just click on the device in device manager, click uninstall or remove and reboot PC, it should detect and reinstall the drivers automatically again

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Have you thought about downloading it on your phone then transfer to PC?

Try this, Go to device manager, select your wifi card, then select update driver. Select browse manually. If that card has been updated, install the previous one.

Didn't know I could use my phone because I have an iPhone 6. But anyway, went to device manager like you suggested, found my wifi card and selected it to update. Actually did it both ways, manually and automatically, and both times it stated that I have the latest version installed. Not sure how to install a previous update...

Why would this even happen? My other laptop is Windows 7 and have never had an issue with wifi. Is this something exclusive to 8.1?

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
^^ or just click on the device in device manager, click uninstall or remove and reboot PC, it should detect and reinstall the drivers automatically again

Tried that and it did reinstall a different version (Mediatek MT7630E instead of Wireless LAN which was showing before) but still no luck. Wifi is still stating its 'limited'.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Decided to take my laptop back to Best Buy where it was bought a little over a month ago to see if their Geek Squad could help be sort this wifi issue out as I was out of clues.

They could not get the laptop to connect to their wifi either which told them there was either a virus or some software installed was blocking the connection. I told them I only use the laptop on the weekends when I have to work and mostly just for playing an online game which is pretty secure (Runescape) and maybe a little Netflix/Hulu and light internet browsing so doubted there could be a virus. I did ask about my Norton as that was installed since day one (to back up my doubts about a virus) which led me to ask if that might be blocking the wifi. They said 'maybe' so we uninstalled it, and presto! Wifi connection came back instantly.

Not sure why Norton was blocking my wifi connection, but I have since uninstalled everthing relating to it and instead installed Webroot. They claim it to be exceptional and superior to Norton. Webroot initially came with my purchase when I bought the laptop so no money out of my pocket and I was willing to try it.

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions! Hopefully this thread in the future will help someone else out.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Hey! Thank you so much!
Actually I was facing the same problem. Sri I opened the device manager, went for the network option, and instead of uninstalling, I just disabled and enabled the setting. It's working again! Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon