Tablet/Laptop as a Desktop

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm graduating college in May and have been using a SP3 for school. I've been using it as my tablet/laptop on the go and a desktop/laptop at home. Although I really love it, it's not as powerful as I want it to be for database work and modeling on 2 monitors. I'd love to get a desktop but I don't want to sacrifice the portability and the continuous experience from using one device. Is there any machines out there that can satisfy this need in a laptop on the go and a more powerful desktop when at home (on a dock connected to 2 monitors)? I'm really needy haha

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony VAIO tap20 in my living room, but my main device is an old fashioned Windows 7 machine in one of the spare bedrooms, that machine is on 24/7. I use the Sony for family entertainment, and all the things one does with a pc in a Household situation, i can do a little light photoshopping and work a bit in Illustrator too if i wanted to, but for serious bussiness i move upstairs.
My daughter has very expensive windows laptop for her study, but that thing weighs a ton.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
There was a USB 3.0 dock in development about 2 years ago that allowed someone to hook up an external graphics card to any computer with a USB 3.0 port. Initial prototypes were promising, but I haven't heard from them since. I assume the project is dead at this point, but maybe similar tech will show up one day.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Any Thinkpad Business model will do. I've been using a 12" Thinkpad X220 for almost four years now for work. I have a docking station at home as well as at my office (~220 miles away from where I live). It does exactly what you're looking for - very portable on the road (with less than 2kg and 9+ hours of battery life), very fast thanks to Core i5, 8GB RAM, SSD but also great to use as a desktop replacement.

I'm sure there are other solutions to this as well. Look in the business lines of Lenovo, Dell and Fujitsu. Consumer laptops generally don't offer any docking solutions.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
What's the process for installing legacy apps on a Windows tablet (eg Surface 3)?

Legacy? Windows 8.1 will run 99% of Windows 7 applications and should run many, many Windows XP 32 bit applications.

Do you have a program that will not run in Windows 8.1?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christinaenth