Can I get some help choosing a computer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I need help choosing a computer

So here is the situation that I'm in: I am a Double Major in college (Business Administration and Management Information Systems). Starting in the Fall of 2015, I will be taking Computer Science courses and will need a Windows computer.

My current Computer:
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"
Dual Core Core i5 (Haswell)
RAM: Upgraded from 4 to 8 GB
Storage: Upgraded from 320 GB HDD to 256 GB SSD
Problem: Went through 5 OSs (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now with Yosemite installed), some features are not compatibale with this model and with the new OS, Early 2011 MBP may not be supported at all.

What I am Looking For:
Core i5 or i7 (Broadwell)
8 GB of RAM or higher
256 GB SSD Storage or higher
Weight: 3.5 lbs. or Lighter
Spending Restriction: $1,300 or cheaper

What I can't choose between:
Dell XPS 13
HP Spectre x360
Acer Aspire S7
Lenovo LaVie Z (Not Yet Released: Coming some time in May)

Please Help, which one should I go with?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: I need help choosing a computer

Why is Broadwell important to you? A properly implemented Haswell gives excellent battery life as well.
Are you in the US? If so you could just get a Signature edition from Microsoft store.

Zenbook UX303LA comes to mind (the refresh has Broadwell).
Also look into the Samsung Ativ Book 9 with Haswell. They are beautiful and very good laptops.
Lenovo X1 Carbon (Haswell), they have incredible keyboards.
HP Elitebook Folio 1040, exceptionally built and good battery life; it's my main computer.

Yuri Kechoyan

May 2, 2015
Visit site

I am in the U.S.
The Zebook UX303LA: I tested out and it was ok and not the greatest.
The Samsung Ativ Book 9: if I configure it to what I need, it will be well over my price limit.
Lenovo X1 Carbon: same as Ativ Book, if I configure it to what I need, it will be over my price limit.
HP Elitebook Folio 1040: same as Ativ Book and X1 Carbon.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

I am in the U.S.
The Zebook UX303LA: I tested out and it was ok and not the greatest.
The Samsung Ativ Book 9: if I configure it to what I need, it will be well over my price limit.
Lenovo X1 Carbon: same as Ativ Book, if I configure it to what I need, it will be over my price limit.
HP Elitebook Folio 1040: same as Ativ Book and X1 Carbon.

Really? Hm. I got my Folio 1040 with a 180GB SSD, i5-4300U and 900p display for about $1000, but that was on sale at the end of last year. I thought the Haswell machines would be quite a bit lower in price now that Broadwell is coming up. At least in the U.S. because in my country electronics are overpriced due to import and customs.

I can suggest some alternatives... Have you looked around on eBay/BestBuy?

1. There is the X1 Carbon priced close to what you can spend.

2. You can very easily get an i7/256GB/8GB Elitebook 1040 under $1300 from BestBuy BUT it will be refurbished - and while I personally have no issues with factory refurbished laptops - it might not be what you want.

3. Instead of the X1 Carbon, you could get the ThinkPad T440S instead (not the regular T440, mind you). The 'S' is lighter and better in just about every way. Save money by getting it with an HDD and put an SSD in yourself (they're quite affordable now). It will fit your price range.

4. You may also find those specs on a SP3 and a typecover if you can locate a good deal in the U.S. I don't know how the deals are over there.

I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital