Your Experience with W10 on Tablets?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the thread to share your own experiences for just how well or badly Windows 10 works on Tablets. What's good or bad? What's purely broken?

Share it all below!

LCGrzy

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows 10 works quite good on tablets. I use it on my SP3 and ThinkPad 8 and I have been able to adapt my work-flow quite nicely. It is a little bit of a different experience from Windows 8.1. The simplified snapping and multi-tasking a bit too much for my liking, but I think for the average user, it was a good idea. MS has done a really a good job getting Windows 8 apps to run well within the new interface, included getting app commands to show up with one swipe and charm options and full screen with a double swipe.

Two things I would like to see improved significantly is that the file explorer is still a drag to navigate with touch and OneDrive syncing with it's lack of placeholders is still frustrating.

I'll be the first to tell you that it took a little getting used to, but I think that Windows 10 is a big step in the right direction and I am excited for the future.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The only tablet I own right now is my iPad Air 2, but that doesn't stop me from being able to enjoy Windows 10 on a tablet thanks to Microsoft's Remote Desktop client app. The Remote Desktop app for iOS allows me to access a very usable remote session of my desktop PC running the latest build of Windows 10. Everything works, including all touch functions and the swipe gestures, like swipe in from the right to access the Notification Center etc.
There is one thing, while I do get audio through the remote session, and Cortana works very well woth typed commands and "questions", I can't send audio through the iPad's mic (2-way audio) So, therefore I can't use things like "Hey Cortana". Other than that though, everything else works great! So good, in fact, that it actually feels like I'm using a real Windows tablet!

The tablet experience..

The one thing I would change, is in "Tablet Mode". I wish we'd be able to pin our Live Tiles anywhere on the screen while in this full screen tablet mode. Keeping everything confined to that one center column just seems, well, confined. I understand this may vary from device to device, and things may be a little different on a real Windows Tablet, but I personally prefer "Tablet Mode" turned off. I can use everything just fine while in the standard desktop mode.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Turns out that my complaint above about tablet mode, and the tiles only being in one center column, are only with this Remote Desktop session, and/or because I'm displaying it on an iPad. The full screen or tablet mode shown in the recent "continuum" videos shows the tiles spread out to the left and right.. Whew.. That's a relief! lol

I guess I need to get a real windows tablet...

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm liking Tablet mode on my SP3 but when watching a full-screen YouTube video or drawing in OneNote (leaning on the screen in onenote I always hit that start button), that taskbar is extremely annoying. But other than that it's good.

VRocker88

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Horrific experience. Wish i tested the preview on my tablet so i could give a lot of feedback. Touch support seems non-existant in desktop mode (try moving tiles in the full screen start menu when not in tablet mode with your finger...) and in tablet mode certain things bug out. I dont even get a keyboard for the command prompt in tablet mode but that could be a bug with my tablet.

So far my tablet experience has been horrible but that could be due to the blue screens every 5 minutes. Anyone else installed 10 on a Thinkpad Tablet 2?

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding the same issue on my SP2. If I enable desktop mode I lose touch, and I can't get it back without a reboot. That's my only beef, though.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My Acer Iconia W4 got the Windows 10 Home single language yesterday. Left it overnight. By morning, it was waiting for me to login. Smooth installation and all my settings, apps ported to 10. Very smooth. Both Tablet & Desktop mode working fine. Happy with the experience.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's okay.

I do think that 8.1 was a better tablet experience, but 10 hasn't been "bad". It's just not as efficient as 8.1. I suppose I'll get used to it.

The main things I miss most in tablet mode are:
1) charms bar
2) horizontal scrolling
3) desktop tile

I also noticed that on my SP3 with Continuum on it sometimes gets confused if I'm in desktop or tablet mode when the keyboard is attached, but folded back to hold as a tablet. I couldn't log in without taking it off tablet mode manually because it would nit give me an on-screen keyboard.

MikeInTexas

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my S3 to Win 10 last night. Overall, it seems to be fairly stable and fast even though it hadn't had time to synch everything. There are some things I liked better on 8.1.
-- Scrolling. I'm not sure I'm going to like vertical scrolling through the tiles, but maybe it's something I'll get used to. .
-- All Apps. No sort capability. I found that very helpful in 8.1. I hope they bring this back.

There are a few other things I'm not comfortable with, but I think I just need a little more time to adapt.

Has anyone tried moving apps to the SD card? I didn't have time to experiment with it yesterday. I'm wondering if the Photos app can be moved and if it will run decently from the card.
--

NXH

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I uploaded W10 on my Toshiba Encore Write 2 and I like it except the fact that everything seems so small!! Everything works fine but why the heck the tiles are so tiny. I have the 8" model and I have 20/20 vision but the riles are so difficult to read. There is so much wasted real estate on the screen. I'm pretty sure of I give this to someone like my mom she won't be able to read anything.
I also miss the Charm Bar. I would use it to send a quick email, take an screenshot, go to the start screen while holding my tablet vertically. I've been trying to take a screenshot unsuccessfully using the physical Windows key + volume down :/

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Asus vivotab 8 running W10 (as well as an insider on my desktop, laptops, Surface Pro and all my phones except my HTC 8X...).
After using W10 for about a day on the Asus, I think I can confidently say I prefer the new tablet experience to 8.1. I've always been a big fan of 8/8.1, upgraded from day one back in 2012 and never looked back, never understood all the hate it got, but all is forgiven now that 10 is here... So back to my tablet experience with 10. Initially, I suppose it was quite jarring, but I suspect that is due to the change rather than any inherent quality of being better or worse than 8.1. If W10 happens to be your very first windows tablet experience, you'll probably embrace it naturally just like those of us that loved 8/8.1 did. One thing I can say for sure is that I feel it is much more efficient in terms of navigation, multitasking and overall functionality compared to 8/8.1. Furthermore, it seamlessly blends the tablet and 'desktop' modes elegantly. You never really feel like you are transiting between two completely different worlds like you do in 8/8.1. And Edge is showing a lot of promise and will only get better, I absolutely love it in tablet mode!
Overall, it just feels tighter and more 'tablet-like' than 8.1 IMHO. What I suggest is that people give it a fair chance just like we did for 8.1. I'm pretty sure you'll come to appreciate it quickly and eventually favor it over 8.1. It just has sooo much more to offer than 8.1. It is also very well thought out, although that may not be so obvious at first. But as you use it, you begin to appreciate the choices that were made in designing the W10 tablet mode interface.
So, in short, I'm all in with the W10 tablet mode!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just installed yesterdays release on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.
Very happy with W10 on it so far.
I'll say the changes are helping me to enjoy the tablet format again.

kiloeightone

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I installed W10 least night on my Linx 8. So far, *touch wood*, no major problems, only a few small glitches here and there. Like others, it might take a bit of time to get use to the change away from horizontal swiping.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
The main things I miss most in tablet mode are:
1) charms bar
2) horizontal scrolling
3) desktop tile

1) I don't miss the charms bar at all, just a matter of getting used to.
2) Horizontal scrolling?
Browsing on the internet => vertically
windows phone => vertically
Facebook => vertically

it's more consistent now.

3) Desktop tile?
The old desktop was not al all touch friendly, it still isn't perfect, but better then it was.....

Sorry, I disagree with your complaints, but maybe it is because i use W7 at work and my laptop (soon W10), W8.1 (now W10) on my surface3, ios on iPhone of my wife and iPad of my kid, android on another tablet I have lying around, and WP8.1 on my Lumia 930, that I don't have problems adapting to something else.....

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I bailed and just went back to W8.1 last night. Tablet mode is still a work in progress, especially for those of us who actually liked W8.1 on a tablet (my case the Surface Pro 3).

My issues:
  1. No swipe forward/back in Edge
  2. Cumbersome in getting 2 apps side by side, with no way of getting 3 side by side (if someone can show me an easy way of getting 2 side by side, please show!!)
  3. Apps locking up after waking from sleep (I couldn't figure out why, even after a fresh install with the ISO download)
  4. Battery drain
  5. Touch landing pads aren't as "fuzzy" and forgiving or smart as they were in W8.1. It's either you touch the exact spot, or you don't.

I know that those of us who actually enjoyed W8.1 are in the minority, but when the epiphany happens with W8.1 on what they offered, it was a great moment. It's just that the majority of people out there, that moment never happened.

In a way, W10 should have been released first to help people adjust, then release W8.1. I have a feeling that W11 will actually be more like W8.1 in the future when desktop programs will be in the minority, and universal apps will be the norm. But that's just my opinion.

icurehangovers

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't even get it installed on my TPT2. How did you get it to work? I get an error about something not being compatible. I'm not around my tablet so I can't tell you precisely what it says. I made a post about it here though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Horrific experience. Wish i tested the preview on my tablet so i could give a lot of feedback.

Wouldn't have mattered if you had. There's a ton of feedback telling Microsoft exactly what is wrong in tablet mode (all of the top feedback in the Continuum category, with the top one having 950 or so upvotes last time I checked), but none of the issues were addressed.

Of course, they wiped all old feedback since the release anyway, so people can't upvote things that are from the preview even if they still are major issues in the final build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786