acer switch 11 vs. Surface 3

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I need to replace my vivotab because of screen touch issues. The two replacements are the switch 11 with i3 processor, 4gb ram and 128gb storage and the surface 3 128gb. I know the surface is superior in build quality, but when its all said and done, it will be about 3-400 dollars more expnsive than the switch with similar accessories.

I have great service life with acer products, and I expect this tablet to be the same. So what I am asking, is the surface worth the extra coin.?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I need to replace my vivotab because of screen touch issues. The two replacements are the switch 11 with i3 processor, 4gb ram and 128gb storage and the surface 3 128gb. I know the surface is superior in build quality, but when its all said and done, it will be about 3-400 dollars more expnsive than the switch with similar accessories.

I have great service life with acer products, and I expect this tablet to be the same. So what I am asking, is the surface worth the extra coin.?
i currently own an Acer Aspire Switch 11 (i3/4GB/128GB). I had gone through a similar thought process, comparing the Surface Pro 3 with the Switch 11. (the equation doesn't change THAT much when comparing against the non-Pro Surface 3).

In my opinion, obviously neither Surface was worth the extra expense. Spec-wise they're comparable, but here is a list of "pros" (not in any order) that weighed in the Switch's favor for me (they may not be priorities for you)...

1. Front-facing speakers. Although some state that the volume is too low, I find the volume adequate, but the speakers facing forward very much help.
  2. Hinge-mechanism. Love the way the Switch 11 just pops onto the 2 hinge posts and transforms it into a notebook. It is very handy for switching (no pun intended) between notebook and tablet mode.
  3. Proprietary charger. This is seen as a negative for many, but I prefer a separate charging port to allow access to the USB ports for USB peripherals.
  4. 2 USB ports. There's a full-sized USB port on the tablet itself, and another one in the keyboard. VERY handy.
  5. Different display configurations. notebook, presentation, tent modes.
  6. Pen. It can use any Synaptic-compatible pen. I use the 3rd generation pen from Dell.

There are some cons...
  1. Weight. It is heavier.
  2. Battery life. Not as good as the Surface or iPad.
  3. Top-heavy in notebook mode.

Having said that, I also own a Surface 2 (among many other devices) and still use it regularly.

For the purposes that I use the Switch 11 (that would also be met with the Surface 3), the Switch 11 works wonderfully and the $300 saved (over a comparable Surface 3 config) was worth more to me than any of the thinness/lightness/battery life gains by going with the Surface 3.

In the end, both are great devices, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just what I wanted to hear. I want the acer, I have all acer computers right now. and Love them. I am guessing the switch will be the same!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoresAdrowe