Gaming laptop

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey Im entertaining the idea of purchasing a gaming/video editing rig laptop with ok specs, I know Lenovo pumped out the y700 with a sub 970 Graphics card, and Asus seems decent with it's G series, 551. Price point below $2,000. Can anyone chime in and offer some tips?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Lenovo Y50-70 (the 2.6 GHz to 3.6GHz variant), and it handles intense graphics and calculations (molecular dynamics) pretty well - of course not as good as a full-rigged desktop would. I'd recommend a Lenovo of an equal or higher specification since I've got one, but I can't speak for Asus.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not just hardware, but it also is about design. For example, the first thing I look at in a laptop are the technical specifications. Then, that is immediately followed by inspecting ventilation. A laptop with high-end graphics processors will not really hold up well in long runs if the ventilation is poor.

In this regard, the Lenovo Y50-70 has good specifications and good ventilation. In effect, I do get up to and over 60fps in games - e.g. in Microsoft Flight Simulator X with maxed graphics settings. Haven't tried installing other newer games, though; but I've tried Sniper Elite 3 on it and there was no lag whatsoever.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Y50-70, not a Y70, and it has the GTX-860M 4GB.

As for the Y70, you have the option to choose between 860M and 960M, according to Lenovo.

Nope, haven't tried Fallout 4.

It's actually running a molecular simulation now; I'm on my Samsung and I'm just remotely controlling the Y50-70 using TeamViewer.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Look at Asus, MSI or Alienware. Boutique brands such as Sager are very upgradeable. Xoticpc specializes in gaming machines.

I wanted to get Alienware, especially those with i7s that go up to 4.0 Ghz - perfect for my simulation work - but my budget was under $2,000... same as the OP's.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing about sager, interesting? It's tricky to find a decent gaming rig which strictly uses SSD drives that has a touch screen for reg. Use at a reasonable price point lets say $1,500

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing about sager, interesting? It's tricky to find a decent gaming rig which strictly uses SSD drives that has a touch screen for reg. Use at a reasonable price point lets say $1,500

Haven't heard about Sager - I'm not a gamer (I'm not even sure if that pertains so something related to gaming). :wink:

But I may have doubts about that at that price - SSDs are more expensive than HDD, so at $1,500 some of the specs must have been sacrificed.

SofiaAsif

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello Every Body I'am using HP laptop but I interest of Playing Games in my Personal Laptops. Can you Tell me Can Install Professional Games in my Personal Laptop. My Laptop Core-i3.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello Every Body I'am using HP laptop but I interest of Playing Games in my Personal Laptops. Can you Tell me Can Install Professional Games in my Personal Laptop. My Laptop Core-i3.

We would need more specific details, such as the names of the games you intend to install - not sure what "professional games" mean.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Google Sager. They specialize in gaming machines and are very upgradeable. I have an Alienware 18 and I can have up to 4 drives if I remove the Optical drive. Mine came with a 256 GB SSD plus a 1 TB HD with SLI graphics (2 graphics cards). I replaced the SSD with a 1 TB and added an old 750 GB HD so now i have 1 tb SSD+1 Tb HD + 750 gb HD. I paid under 2500 2 years ago. The alienware 17 doesn't come with SLI graphics but they sell an optional graphic amplifier where you can use an external desktop graphics card with the laptop. The thing with games machines the more Horsepower the more they cost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett