Windows or Android tablet

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
My sister in law wants to buy a tablet for playing games, watching movies, browsing the web and using social media.

Does Windows have enough games and apps available or should she go with Android?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Depends, Windows has Xbox in its favour which is probably one of, if not the, largest gaming network around and something that Android doesn't have.

Movies wise Windows has Netflix and Microsoft has its own Films and TV service.

Web Browsing is via Edge or IE but as Windows Tablets are x86 based you can install Chrome, Firefox or any other browser you want the same goes for Social Media either via apps or the websites.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd ask them what titles or style of games they are looking for.

Sit them down in front of a computer with each store open in a browser tab and look at the stores side by side.

But also, ask your sister in law how much work she might do on the tablet. If the answer is a fair amount, IMHO the Windows tablet will probably have a leg up if it includes an office install, rather than a 365 account. Then again, there is also Office on the web for basics and all you need is a browser. Personally, I thought the Office 2013 that came on tablet as an install was a huge extra. YMMV.

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
That is a good idea to have them compare the store. She won't need office though, the tablet will just be used for "passing time".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd go Android unless PC productivity , peripheral work and file management is necessary.

I'd prefer a Windows tablet but that's just because I want something that handles as a PC and can do PC games.

As for mobile games like Clash of Clans, etc. Android or iOS is the way to go.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Android is designed for Media Consumption and Games.

I'm also a firm believer in Nexus. Good bang for the buck, more updates and fast delivery on OTA.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Android is designed for Media Consumption and Games.

I'm also a firm believer in Nexus. Good bang for the buck, more updates and fast delivery on OTA.
Hopefully Microsoft will bring SwiftKey to Windows tablets. I cannot use a Windows tablet without an external keyboard, since I cannot type on it without an external keyboard. I have no trouble typing on my Nexus 7 with SwiftKey.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I am a big fan of Microsoft and Windows phones and while I love my phone I don't really like my Windows Tablet and yes it has Windows 10, I use my Android tablet 10 to 1 over the other unless I need office or some other PC related problem, I just like the look, feel and app's on the Android over the Windows.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Windows tablet all day long. I have always found droid tabs a bit of a let down. I have always struggled to be productive on one. They are, after all, phones with out the phone in most instances.

Windows tabs are shrunken desktop / laptops. I run a yoga with win 10. I love the ability to switch between tablet mode / standard mode. I can get so much more done. All the apps I use are in the store, and if they aren't, I'll use the web based one. My galaxy tab 10.1 doesn't even get a look in these days. My kids use it for what it's really good at. Playing games etc. The windows tabs are just more 'grown' up. My wife takes her surface with her, and when sitting at an airport waiting for a fare to come out of the terminal, she can sit there doing invoices, books and general admin for our taxi company.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Windows tablet all day long. I have always found droid tabs a bit of a let down. I have always struggled to be productive on one.

He's not looking for a tablet to be productive. For playing games and media consumption, his sister in law would be much better served with an Android tablet.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
IMO Android tablets suck when used outside of games and netflix.

So if you are getting it for games and netflix then Android will save you money and offer you more games.

For other things I think an Android tablet is terrible.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If it's just a plain tablet I would probably go with Android.

If it's a 2-in-1 you are looking for the obvious choice would be one of the great ones available via MS or other brands. Lenovo yoga 900 is amazing. My brother got an HP spectre 360 and he's super happy with it. You can attach it to a tv and use bluetooth keyboard/mouse and get a nice larger workspace or media consumption space. Connect xbox one controller and play your games right on the tv. It's really great.

You also have Steam/Origin/Ubisoft gaming services available outside the windows store. If you like games these will blow your mind and the sales they have are pretty insane at times. I've seen stuff discounted by 85%. For gaming windows is the way to go. You may want to look into a 2-in-1 that has one of the newer core processors with better intel GPU if you like your graphics. For the most part you're not going to get PC like graphics but an enjoyable experience either way.

Unless of course you're more into the smaller mobile social games like Clash of Clans or anything like that, android will probably be the better pick. Although there's an android emulator called bluestacks you can get for free to emulate a lot of android apps/games. I've tried it for some apps, never for games. Not sure how performance would be, but others may chime in.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True. That's about as useful as they get. But what happens if / when you want it to do more?

Put Office on it or any of the competitors. Try some Linux stuff, etc.

I don't think the diminished mobile entertainment value of Windows is worth the step up in productivity on the OFF CHANCE the girl wants to do CAD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)