WP_20160208_16_53_47_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_16_54_48_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_02_06_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_10_51_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_05_46_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_53_40_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_51_11_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160208_17_05_24_Pro_LI.jpg

The Chuwi arrived today and needless to say I was excited to finally get this in house. I ordered it from Amazon along with a case and tracked the shipping all the way to the door. The tablet itself looks great and feels great in the hand. It is running Windows 10 Version 1511 / Build 10586.36. Android version is KitKat 4.4.4

It feels light but it feels premium. The metal band around the tablet gives a real premium look and feel. The toggle buttons are not up too high nor too low. They are very responsive. It was easy to setup and works as you would expect a tablet to work.

It was a bit concerning during the setup of my account in that the screen would go blank for seemingly no reason. I didn't panic but waited less than 30 seconds and the screen returned with the usual java spinning snake icon. (which is what they are if you didn't know) busy.gif

Then the Windows screen opened up and onto installing some apps. The Microsoft logo on the bezel has a function I suspect I'll need to get used to. It works the same as the start logo on the desktop. Windows 10 does have a tablet mode I haven't tried yet. More on that later.

I found the icon that switches into Android on the desktop but the icon to switch back was not on the android desktop. It was in a pull down to switch back and with each switch, which is pretty fast actually, one OS shuts down to launch the other. Takes maybe 20-30 seconds between OS. Not a bad deal so for for 99 bucks delivered.

Tomorrow, I'll put it to work to see how it behaves on the road real time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That looks really nice?

What are the hardware specs?
Not terrible actually,

• Windows 10 and Android 4.4 KitKat Dual Boost, Free Switch
  • Intel Z3736F Quad Core, Max 2.16GHZ, 2GB DDR3L RAM + 32GB eMMC ROM, Support TF Card, Max 128GB
  • 8 inch IPS Full HD Screen Display, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 283.02 PPI
  • Dual Camera: Front 0.3MP,Back 2MP; Support Bluetooth 4.0,Wifi,Usb Port,Built-in Stereo Speaker,High Quality Microphone

What free space you get is about 9.7 gig so needless to say, I'll be adding an SD card in it as soon as it arrives.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not terrible actually,

• Windows 10 and Android 4.4 KitKat Dual Boost, Free Switch
  • Intel Z3736F Quad Core, Max 2.16GHZ, 2GB DDR3L RAM + 32GB eMMC ROM, Support TF Card, Max 128GB
  • 8 inch IPS Full HD Screen Display, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 283.02 PPI
  • Dual Camera: Front 0.3MP,Back 2MP; Support Bluetooth 4.0,Wifi,Usb Port,Built-in Stereo Speaker,High Quality Microphone

What free space you get is about 9.7 gig so needless to say, I'll be adding an SD card in it as soon as it arrives.

That is decent for the price! :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Please let us know how the battery life is when you run Windows and when you run Android after you've installed all your apps and updates and are using the tablet normally.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What apps are preinstalled on this tablet, both Windows and Android?

Both are as you might expect, just the OS. I have Office so that was automatically installed and if I allow, a bunch of android apps I have license to will download but these are as bare bones as they come. No add ons except for a way to switch OS's.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Both are as you might expect, just the OS. I have Office so that was automatically installed and if I allow, a bunch of android apps I have license to will download but these are as bare bones as they come. No add ons except for a way to switch OS's.
That's great to hear that no bloatware is preinstalled.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You could move the recovery to a USB stick or a small microSD. I'm curious if there are 2 recovery partitions... That would free some internal and is a move I like to make on tablets.

I noticed Amazon has a pretty good deal on a bundle:

Capture01.png

Not bad for under $140, IMHO and it is amazing to me how inexpensive some of this stuff is getting.

Might I suggest this keyboard? http://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Wirele...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3403421

Works universally. Nice key action and layout. Slim enough to throw in a carry bag with the Chuwi.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly RumoredNow. I didn't get the SD card thinking I had one in the house I could use. I didn't so I ordered one. I'm using it at the office and it's doing well. Some Word, some corporate app that runs in Firefox, Flipboard and my favorite time waster, Red Herring during one of my breaks. Flipped it from Windows to Android a couple times and so far so good. I purposely left the charger at home so I wouldn't be tempted to plug it in. Its been off the charger since 7am. Its 12:15pm here now and the battery is at 81 percent. I am tempted to go back and get the keyboard case...just because.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, its almost 7pm and this tablet has been off the charger since 7am. Battery is at 49%. I haven't watched any video yet but killed it with Groove much of the day. (listening to it as we speak.)

As an aside, I've always had a fondness for Groove but who knew Groove rocked like this? Outside of the great sound I'm getting from the Chuwi, I didn't know it had these images panning in and out of the artist while you listen to tracks in full screen mode. Sort of the way Zune used to do it. Then it tells you the next song about to play just as the one you're listening to is about done. Cool visual stuff. I also have to say this, Groove rocks with sound via headphones. Oh man! I mentioned to Laura Knotek about these inexpensive Bluetooth headphones some months ago and talk about wow. I haven't even touched the EQ.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want the tablet as a usefull and easy portable pc,so I can delete the Android for more space???

You could move the recovery to a USB stick or a small microSD. I'm curious if there are 2 recovery partitions... That would free some internal and is a move I like to make on tablets.

I don't think I'd wipe out the Android either, as Jazmac says above. I mean why? Choice and options are always good.

But I am hugely curious if there are 2 recoveries you can move off the device. That would probably free up around 8-10GB. That's a lot of room for Apps. Keep your consumable media and created documents on SD and it should be golden.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, its almost 7pm and this tablet has been off the charger since 7am. Battery is at 49%. I haven't watched any video yet but killed it with Groove much of the day. (listening to it as we speak.)

As an aside, I've always had a fondness for Groove but who knew Groove rocked like this? Outside of the great sound I'm getting from the Chuwi, I didn't know it had these images panning in and out of the artist while you listen to tracks in full screen mode. Sort of the way Zune used to do it. Then it tells you the next song about to play just as the one you're listening to is about done. Cool visual stuff. I also have to say this, Groove rocks with sound via headphones. Oh man! I mentioned to Laura Knotek about these inexpensive Bluetooth headphones some months ago and talk about wow. I haven't even touched the EQ.
I am really happy you recommended the headphones. 😊 I've used them with my PC and with three different phones and two different tablets (Windows and Android), and they are awesome with all my devices.

That is amazing battery life so far! This Chuwi tablet looks like a winner so far.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am really happy you recommended the headphones.  I've used them with my PC and with three different phones and two different tablets (Windows and Android), and they are awesome with all my devices.

That is amazing battery life so far! This Chuwi tablet looks like a winner so far.

So far so good. I finally got the battery to 3 percent about 8 pm then put it on the charger. Not a bad day. I'm recharged onto day two with Chuwi in the office. I'm going to put some more apps on today. My SD card should be here soon because I don't know how well the Chuwi reads / writes from one yet.