Surface Book vs Lenovo Yoga 900 vs ThinkPad X1 Yoga

TheGoldenChild96

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm a PreMed student who's life revolves around his laptop. I'm always on social media, watching some show, listening to music, doing an essay, taking notes, updating some website, or emailing some person on campus. Of course, my old laptop broke. It was a Dell Inspiron. Now, I have a campus job and have been saving money(so money is not factor necessarily). After researching my options, I've narrowed my choices down to the three previously listed laptops. I just want to know which do you guys suggest and why?

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
By looking at your requirement, you prefer on-the-go PC that lets you do all that on a decent budget, SP4 is better than SB(if you want lightweight device and decent battery life), Lenovo's are pretty good too. X1 w/o OLED seems to be a better buy in terms of ultraportability and battery life. You could wait for others to chime in.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I think the upcoming Yoga 900S is uber-schmexy...

But for that sized screen I'd rather have a Surface Pro 4 and get awesome pen support.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected... Having looked at emerging spec several times on the Yoga 900S, I now have found it does support digitizer pen support.

However, by most accounts the Surface Pen system is pretty tried and true.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hate to tell you this, but if your future is in medicine you are going to have to make the switch to the Mac sooner or later. All the mission critical medical apps are on iOS. Outside of UpToDate, almost nothing exists on Windows mobile...unfortunate because windows mobile is clearly a superior OS.

Just get a MacBook Air and iPhone and call it good.

TheGoldenChild96

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hate to tell you this, but if your future is in medicine you are going to have to make the switch to the Mac sooner or later. All the mission critical medical apps are on iOS. Outside of UpToDate, almost nothing exists on Windows mobile...unfortunate because windows mobile is clearly a superior OS.

Just get a MacBook Air and iPhone and call it good.

Lol advice taken. Now, can you answer the question at hand?

BryanMahendra

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, it's true. I am a med student and the iOS is still the finest environment you can get for looking professional and on-the go referencing, it is unfortunate to Windows just because the application ecosystem is more polished. For example, the app Goodreader for reading pdfs/e-book on the iPad still trumps the best Windows 10 reading app "Drawboard Pdf" if I recall.

That's for a handy tablet, however. For OP's question for laptop, I can't recommend much on the Surface Book if you're still in pre-med (depending what year), honestly it isn't the best time to purchase it for price and reliability reasons. In medical school, the most important aspects in a device are a great screen (for longterm ease of reading) and speed/reliability. With your choice, I would vote for the Lenovo 900 since the top-end model is $1500 and has the highest resolution plus the 512gb/16gb ram memory, which is great if you're on web researching. The speed is ok with the 900, I just wish it was PCIe and not Sata III, lol.

Other than that, get a giant 27 inch monitor QHD or more if the time comes. It's handy.

RyanCreek

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I like Surface Pro 4 very much but it's too expensive for me. Will that tablet have the overheating problem if I run some big games? Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb