Is there any way to add a microphone icon to the onscreen keyboard? My handcapped daughter needs it

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My young daughter with Cerebral Palsy has been using a spare Windows 10 Phone (1520) for a while and she mainly uses one hand because of the Palsy. She is only 6 so she can not type much either however she has long figured out how to put the cursor in the search box of youtube etc and then tap the speech icon and say the words and then search and find what she is looking for.

Well I just got her a little Windows 10 tablet from the Microsoft store and I now realize that the Windows 10 onscreen keyboard on the tablet is lacking that microphone/speech icon.
Anyone know if there are any options?
I already poked around in the ease of access and input settings.

See attached photo

Attachments

• No mic button on keyboard.JPG
    No mic button on keyboard.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 3

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Open Settings, type "voice" into the search box. Choose the "Start speech recognition" result. Set it up with your daughter so it gets trained for her voice.

Hope that helps.

Capture02.png

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Open Settings, type "voice" into the search box. Choose the "Start speech recognition" result. Set it up with your daughter so it gets trained for her voice.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 126424

Hi, yeah I looked at the voice recognition tool but that seemed to be a tool that stays on the desktop and is also listening to commands etc.

It would be nice to have the same microphone icon that we have on our windows 10 phones that simply allow her to push it seems speak one sentence into the search box, etc like she has been doing on the Lumia 1520

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm typing this with speech recognition right now. It seems to work really well. You can make it sleep until it gets the command to start listening. That way, she can use it only when she wants to. Or she may prefer to enter commands by voice as well.

I typed this whole thing via speech. This seems to be the best approach for now I can't find the settings you are looking for.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like an Idea to use Consumer Feedback !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The idea of having a built in mic feature to the keyboard should have been a no brainer from the get go !!!!!

Maybe even WC could get into this, I for one would be happy to upvote a feature like this. Seeing as the code for Windows 10 and 10 for Mobile is shared it should not be that hard to have added.....who knows maybe Microsoft could be made aware of such a need and could release the Phone Keyboard as an App.

Just off the top of my head.....

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My young daughter with Cerebral Palsy has been using a spare Windows 10 Phone (1520) for a while and she mainly uses one hand because of the Palsy. She is only 6 so she can not type much either however she has long figured out how to put the cursor in the search box of youtube etc and then tap the speech icon and say the words and then search and find what she is looking for.

Well I just got her a little Windows 10 tablet from the Microsoft store and I now realize that the Windows 10 onscreen keyboard on the tablet is lacking that microphone/speech icon.
Anyone know if there are any options?
I already poked around in the ease of access and input settings.

See attached photo

The other thing I would offer up would be the Alcatel Pixi 3 (8), if you have time to return the tablet and wait for the Pixi release as I am.

It is an 8" Windows 10 for Mobile Phone/Tablet.....has the Phone OS in Tablet form. Now if she is just going to use on home WiFi, it is built in.

WC reviewed it and it's budget tablet price with the ability to become a Phone for her later.......
http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-onetouch-pixi-3/406905-alcatel-one-touch-pixi-3-8-specs-features.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb