Advice - replacement for paper and pen...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm been looking at whats out there and havnt found anything that fits, this is what I would like to do...

I will have a Dell XPS 15 with 2xslidenjoy screens.
Want to replace using real paper, looked at Livescribe pens and thier competitors, they all require an Apple device, something im not willing to do. I tried using a Surface Pro 4, the issue is the screen is too small and the battery wont last all day. Ipad Pro seems to have the right size screen, the pen looks too basic.

Anyone had any experience or can recommend a solution, thanks!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm been looking at whats out there and havnt found anything that fits, this is what I would like to do...

I will have a Dell XPS 15 with 2xslidenjoy screens.
Want to replace using real paper, looked at Livescribe pens and thier competitors, they all require an Apple device, something im not willing to do. I tried using a Surface Pro 4, the issue is the screen is too small and the battery wont last all day. Ipad Pro seems to have the right size screen, the pen looks too basic.

Anyone had any experience or can recommend a solution, thanks!

Have you tried a dedicated drawing tablet?

like this for example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huion-H610...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3569116

Last edited:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not what im after as its for the office not for drawing, id like to see what im writing on the pad too. Yesterday I used a Surface Pro 4 with airplane mode on, works well. I might look at getting a Surface 3 (or wait till Surface 4 comes and buy a second hand Surface Pro 3) - Thanks for the effort to find a solution :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not what im after as its for the office not for drawing, id like to see what im writing on the pad too. Yesterday I used a Surface Pro 4 with airplane mode on, works well. I might look at getting a Surface 3 (or wait till Surface 4 comes and buy a second hand Surface Pro 3) - Thanks for the effort to find a solution :)

Well, you said the surface pro 4 screen was too small! :grincry::grin:.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For pen and paper there is no better app than Windows Journal. With the new inking setup on Windows 10, WJ has been phased out. This is my bread and butter app and I've yet to come across anything remotely comparable. For this reason, I'm on a Windows 7 Pro slate with a Wacom digitizer. Good luck finding something that's anything more than a Post-It Notes equivalent.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
You may want to look to see if an active stylus fits your needs. Adonit makes 2 basic models that will serve as good pens but have no extra features as there is no Windows support from Adonit. Yes sounds crazy, but I have found taking notes much better now on lower cost hardware. The Adonit Jot Script and Jot Dash are fine tip active stylus that are not as good as a Surface Pen, but I would say are close even with out support. If you go with a tablet that does not have a built in digitizer you will not find a better option IMHO.

On my Acer W3 tablet both Notebook Pro and Squid ( both free in store), have digital paper options that suit my needs. Your needs may differ and this may not fit you but just added info to chew on non the less.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I tried using a Surface Pro 4, the issue is the screen is too small ... Ipad Pro seems to have the right size screen, the pen looks too basic.

Is the 12.3" (SP4) vs 12.9" (iPad Pro) difference that noticeable? The Surface also has very A4 like dimensions which are nice, but maybe the iPad Pro is similar in that regard too.

The pen on the iPad should actually be more advanced than the Surface, it has a tilt sensor and allows for greater pressure sensitivity. The style of the pen is pretty basic though.

I have an SP3 with the SP4 pen and I tried the iPad Pro briefly in store, I was skeptical going in but it actually felt quite nice to use. I thought there was more lag than the Surface though (gut feel, unverified) and it doesn't have a grippy tip like the SP4 pen so pen on screen felt a little slippery in comparison.

I take a LOT of notes on my SP3, OneNote is full of lists, sketches and other scribblings. It's not perfect but it's replaced paper for me. Also for things like writing on screenshots and touching up photos. I find the SP3 nicer to draw on when held with the keyboard removed rather than folded back, or on the desk with the kickstand in it's most extended position (i.e. SP3 almost flat on the desk).

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Havnt used a iPad Pro, have to say that in the last few days ive been using the SP4 which has been great, id like something a lot thinner, maybe lighter and cheaper as I will be travelling with it. The Surface 3 is smaller screen isnt it? I can live with a smaller screen after using the SP4, cant justify using a SP4 only for that reason (its my GF's and I will be getting a Dell XPS 15) Choices I have (I decided to stick with pens and direct to Onenote) iPad Pro or Surface 3, Read that I have to charge the pencil regularly? that is something that is annoying. Will MS release a Surface 4 or is the Surface 3 last one.

ozaz

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If you want a single device with a larger screen than SP4 (12.3") for both primary computing and note-taking, have you considered the X1 Yoga (14") instead of the XPS 15? Good thing about the X1 Yoga is there is a slot in which the pen is stored and charged.

If you want a small, light secondary device primarily for note-taking as well as light tasks when on the move, I'm in a similar situation. I'm considering the Surface 3 (10.8") or the Yoga Book (10.1"). Leaning toward the Surface 3. I have a recent thread in which I'm pondering my decision here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...42008-surface-3-yoga-book-something-else.html

Regarding the pen on the iPad Pro. It's excellent. Based on my usage in the store, I think its better than the pen on the Surface. But the pen on the Surface is more than sufficient for note-talking.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
im tempted by the Surface 3. I like the infinity display and will get 2 extra screens with Slidenjoy. Will there be a Surface 4?

I guess we'll see come Oct. 26th!

I wouldn't get your hopes up, though. While I doubt Microsoft is ready to call it quits on their non-Pro Surface line, Intel axed the Atom series earlier this year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Surface 4 launched in 2017 with an updated Core M chip. At least, that's my guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes