Nuvision TM800W610L Xbox Streaming Lags When HDMI Is Connected

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is something specific to the TM800W610L, as it's my only tablet to test...

I purchased this tablet as a means to stream Xbox to my bedroom TV (Xbox is in the family room).
I was toying with the idea of getting Compute Stick, to accomplish this.
When the tablet went on sale for $69, I jumped on it (sticks are >$100).

I hooked everything up, last night, and fired up the Xbox app.
I was able to connect and stream, but the controls were terrible.
It was maddeningly slow (launching a game was an effort in frustration and the loading sounds were all choppy).
I did Xbox streaming on my old laptop, so I knew it wasn't supposed to be that way.
I figured it was iffy wifi, so I moved the tablet closer (but still within HDMI cable length).
The issue persisted.
Then I disconnected everything except the controller receiver (Xbox 360 controllers) and tried it again.
Streaming was great (as expected).
I plugged the HDMI cable in and it was choppy.
Unplugged and took the tablet into the bedroom (where the wifi was iffy).
Streaming was fine.

My only thought is that the tablet is having to do some conversion (scaling, maybe) when the HDMI cable is connected.
I think that, because the screen flashes and adjusts.
I tried multiple resolutions and it didn't seem to make a difference.
I had the external monitor set up as clone (didn't try extended).

Any ideas?
Have other people experienced similar issues?
JJ

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Not everything is clear to me. So I am going to make assumptions, and if I assume wrong, let me know.

I am assuming the HDMI connection that is choppy is when you connect the tablet to the TV? Therefore, I am also assuming that you are getting the Xbox stream over WiFi, then trying to use the tablet to send the stream to the TV, thereby making the tablet display both on the tablet AND on the TV the same image stream. (I say same on both because you said you had set up to clone display.)

If that is the case, then that is your problem. The tablet does not have powerful enough cpu and gpu to drive the game graphic display stream on both it's own display AND the display of your TV.

When you hook up an HDMI display to the tablet, go into Settings->System->Display, and choose the display to go ONLY to the TV as the monitor. Now, when you do this, you'll lose the ability to use your touchscreen and may have difficulty going back. I'd recommend hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse when you do this, just to have functional control over the tablet when the TV is the only monitor.

This should theoretically eliminate the lag issues, however I have not tested the setup. My tablet doesn't arrive for a couple more days and I don't have an Xbox to stream from. I do have a Laptop I could stream a game from and the HDMI cable setup for my TV, so I suppose I could test it from there if need be, but it will be a while before I do. The only reason I saw your post is because I just bought this tablet on sale and am waiting for it to arrive.

It is also possible that using the TV as an Extended display may alleviate the issue, as long as your tablet display isn't constantly redrawing something. That could help as well.

Good luck with that issue. As far as getting a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, you would have needed a keyboard/mouse combo with the compute stick anyway.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If that is the case, then that is your problem. The tablet does not have powerful enough cpu and gpu to drive the game graphic display stream on both it's own display AND the display of your TV.

I thought about that, a few days ago.
I did a test, sending to the TV only, and the responsiveness did improve.
I ordered a Wifi extender, but haven't tested since then.
As you mentioned, I had to use an external keyboard/mouse combo (Logitech K830, RF USB - not bluetooth, though).
Unfortunately, my little USB OTG hub doesn't allow charging and using the USB ports at the same time.
Currently, I'm forced to use battery when streaming.
JJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos