I returned my New Surface Pro, and here is why:

Eric Martin4

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I really like the new surface pro, but I'm disappointed by the lack of a usb-c and a thunderbolt 3 port. The coming dongle should replace the usb-c functionality but I'm sure it can't enable TB3 speeds. So I'm tempted to wait for the new surface book to see what they do with it.

Tablet and pen functionality is important to me, and after walking through the MS store yesterday it's apparent that no one has really mastered the tablet form factor like the surface line. (even the Surface Book clipboard makes for a great tablet experience), for the creative market its really a high priority, and a distinguishing feature.

So here are my predictions and why I think it's a good idea for me to wait...

Both the Surface Laptop, and new Pro were sideline releases this year, nothing like 2015. I think it's because there will be at least two more releases this fall:

One will be the follow up to the Surface 3, an ultra thin and light tablet (maybe 10", smaller tablets seem to have failed at this point). It will run on ARM and set the bar for OEMs on what an ultramobile always connected PC can be. I would also like to see a resurgence of the touch keyboard, just because I think it could fit well with the ultraportable aspect of this line, and compete with the iPad smart covers for thinness. I believe this is also the reason MS has started branding the Pro as a Laptop rather than a tablet. They are making room for their next product line.

Secondly I think they will release a follow up to the Surface Book. Having released the Surface Laptop, they will have to position the Surface Book differently as powerhouse Laptop, maybe upgrade it to a Quad-Core CPU, keep or upgrade the current dGPU and include Thunderbolt 3 support, increase the size of the keyboard if necessary, but make it the true professional/enthusiast machine. And don't loose the signature clipboard feature. I think releasing the surface pro separately from the Book this year was a strategy designed to force us to mentally separate the two generationally, so that feature differences (like usb-c) wouldn't hurt the Pro line. This also makes the timing of the Surface Connect ->USB-C dongle much more understandable.

Neither of these two products would compete with Microsoft current line. They each would bring something new to Microsoft offering, and set the stage for a surface phone release next year.

That's why I returned my Surface Pro (2017) and I'm keenly awaiting this fall...

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well, it IS logical to wait for the Surface Book because I'm sure that it will erase the flaws of the old one. However, I really wouldn't return the Surface Pro.

charlie49

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Even if the coming dongle is not capable of TB, do we know for certain whether the dongle will be able to pass DisplayPort over USB-C? I need to run a second monitor while on the move, so I need my Surface Pro to provide both power and DP over the same USB-C cable to a second portable monitor (so i need not use any external power supply for so long as the Surface Pro's battery will last).

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't trust Microsoft to ever release the dongle. I will wait for a Surface with real ports that I need. Video editing gear all uses Thunderbolt 3. Surface line is not good for creative professionals yet. Maybe in a few years they will dump proprietary connectors, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eric Martin4

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I think they will release the dongle as soon as they release usbc on any Surface the first time, as a way to ensure backward compatibility for the older hardware.

Eric Martin4

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Well... Surface book 2 announced, and it hit all my expectations except TB3, but i was really hoping for a TB port to accommodate an eGPU, and with a GTX 1060 in the base, that may be redundant now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss