Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Switching to iPhone? My thoughts on switching and what do you think about my reasoning.

I grappled with the same dilemma a couple of months ago. I wanted to transition completely to Apple hardware, but I couldn't. I rely a lot on Office, and while MSFT has released the preview versions of Office for Mac, they are still missing a couple of things I care about (still beta, so they might add them soon). The keyboard shortcuts are hard to let go, and on a Mac, they just didn't feel as natural as on a Windows machine. Apple hardware is good, but I honestly didn't want to force changes simply because I owned an iPhone, although there are advantages to having a Mac when using iPhone such as iMessage, and continuity.

Regarding the phone, I have an iPhone 6+, its awesome because of the big screen and Apple pay, but I get bored of the UI sometimes because it just doesn't look interesting. iOS has everything I can ask for in a phone. I still have my 1520, and I'm just waiting for a stable version of W10 to begin testing it more regularly. Personally, the WP interface is much more interesting to me. I would suggest you keep you WP and use it to test W10. If when W10 for phone is stable and available, and you still prefer iOS, then I would get rid of the WP device.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Switching to iPhone? My thoughts on switching and what do you think about my reasoning.

Kinda used Android for like two months, it felt like hell, I couldn't wait to get my 925 back, I really missed Cortana and live tiles and everything windows, just keep your 1020 for fun and keep the iPhone for work

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I faced the same decision but not for work but mainly because I am a T-Mobile loyalist and we have never had a single true flagship from Nokia/Microsoft. (the 16gb and no sd slot Lumia 925 does not qualify as a flagship to me) Even though at the time the HTC One for Windows was about to launch I already owned an unlocked Lumia 1020 so I really couldn't fathom going from that beast to the 4 ultrapixel camera.(it was tempting though) I ended up going with the Sony Xperia Z3 the first day it launched. Fantastic phone and Android is so customizable and imaginable that I really didn't miss Windows Phone as much as I thought I would. Since I'm on T-Mobile's Jump plan I can trade in the Z3 whenever as long as half the device(a little over 300) is paid on it. With all the news and plans for Windows 10 this fall I'm pretty excited about the future of Windows 10 for phones. But I'm still waiting for a flagship to land on T-Mobile as well as I'm not switching carriers to get a coveted WP when the fierce competitors are already readily available. I suspect the iPhone 6S or whatever will already be out before the flagship does become available. The Galaxy S6 and LG G4 have also caught my affection. The S6 more so because I've actually had some hands on time with it. So for me, I'd really love to come back to Windows Phone but only if the best comes to my carrier. And I think I would sway more towards Apple(even though I hate their pricing and limiting customers only to what they offer instead of offering things like expandable storage) because they are the only OS that bypasses carrier testing for OS updates. My old Lumia 920 is still on Cyan with no information on the Denim update. And things are not much better between the OEM and carrier as Sony was supposed to release the Lollipop update back in February and still no update yet as of today. Not only that the OEMs can decide whether or not to include certain aspects of the update(like the Camera2 API which would offer manual controls such as focus and shutter speed) which I don't really care for. So that is a nice incentive to go with Apple. No OS is perfect but I'd choose a high end Lumia running Windows 10 over everything else out there if I had my way. Hopefully Microsoft releases their flagships with equal distribution instead of the exclusive route or I may likely never make the return to Windows. I'll always have my trusty ol' Lumia 920 though so Windows will always be with me.

diaperback

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

Just got my first Android phone two days ago. Went with a Samsung GS6 because of the camera. Haven't truly tested it yet, but I must say that the photos are nice so far. The Android OS isn't exactly intuitive, so there's a learning curve that is making me consider that I should return this for an iPhone. I'll give it a few more days. In regards to why I jumped, it's mainly due to lack of apps and flagships with cameras on par with today's competition. Yes, there's the icon, but I'm on ATT and the 1520 is huge. I was initially going to wait for the next Windows 10 flagship, but I figured that the app situation would take some time to gain support. So I'm waiting until it's ready. For now, I'm seriously missing the WP8.1 OS.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Just got my first Android phone two days ago. Went with a Samsung GS6 because of the camera. Haven't truly tested it yet, but I must say that the photos are nice so far. The Android OS isn't exactly intuitive, so there's a learning curve that is making me consider that I should return this for an iPhone. I'll give it a few more days. In regards to why I jumped, it's mainly due to lack of apps and flagships with cameras on par with today's competition. Yes, there's the icon, but I'm on ATT and the 1520 is huge. I was initially going to wait for the next Windows 10 flagship, but I figured that the app situation would take some time to gain support. So I'm waiting until it's ready. For now, I'm seriously missing the WP8.1 OS.

Put this launcher on the GS6. A friend of mine at work went from a 920 to a GS5 and he installed this on his phone and is quite happy with it!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfknoll.win8.launcher

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site

Thinking of going back to Android but it really doesn't have much to do with the Windows operating system as much as the phone selection. I have a Lumia 925 with a 920 as my back up running 10. Problem is I want to go to a 5 inch screen but choices are just not there. Can't go with the 930 unless I want to lose LTE since I'm on AT&T in the U.S. Only choice after that, unless I want to make a lateral hardware move to the 830, is the HTC One but I'm not sure I can deal with the camera. I understand with 10 coming out Microsoft is waiting to put out a new flagship device but it's starting to get irritating. Seems like they've put out a new low range/mid range phone every week. I really like what I'm seeing on my 920 with Windows 10 but the phone selection is just plane bad and not sure what is in the future.

haree

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Sold it

hi guys
just fyi realy was too un comfy with this phone may be because i had a 625 and this phone was not half as good as that one i did not like it sold it and moved back to android just wanted to say thanks to all u guys who were kind enough to help me
i got my self a samsung grand prime
bye guys and thanks for ur help

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm at a point where I don't know which platform to use for my mobile devices. I had a iPhone 5c and an iPad mini with cellular data from my employer. It was a good combo, but I missed the stylus functionality offered in Windows. II purchased an Asus Vivotab 11.6 for work but it just hasn't held up as well as I hoped either build quality or hardware wise. It is getting quite long in the tooth. I also decided to grab a pristine used Lumia 1520 off eBay. I feel like I have a decent combination of productivity tools again.

However, I need to replace my Vivotab because I'm afraid the hardware is going to fail. I had a Surface 3 on pre-order at the Microsoft Store but they decided not to price match Costco, so I canceled my order. Since I couldn't have instant gratification, I decided to hold off ordering from Costco until the early user reviews started rolling in. I have to be honest, I am disappointed in the battery life numbers I'm seeing and the reports of slow charging times. So I'm stuck deciding among the options of 1) going ahead and get the Surface 3 and live with its quirks, but a premium machine at a premium price shouldn't have such glaring issues, 2) getting a refurbished Surface Pro 3 i5 or 3) holding off for Surface Pro 4. I'd also like to grab a new flagship Lumia, but mum is the word thus far about options. Or I could just say it's been nice Microsoft and go back to the evil Apple empire (my last ditch choice).

TL;DR: Need a new tablet cause my work one is getting old, preferably now and would also like a new phone in the near future. Can't decide between the quirky Surface 3, a refurbed Surface Pro 3, or trying to hold out for Surface Pro 4. No real concrete word of upcoming Microsoft flagship phones, either. Might just buy an iPad and iPhone.

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

So with no new decent MS hardware on the horizon, I had a look at why I'm still with Windows Phone for my daily driver. There's so many negatives and very few positives.
I got thinking of my first MS phone - an HTC Canary running SmartPhone 2002.
Back then, I wanted an MS phone for the Outlook integration. I didn't waver through to WinMo 6.5. Then the iPhone came out. I didn't go iPhone but headed over to Android first. Then iPhone.
But then the Lumia 1020 came along. At just the time I needed a good camera. And that brought me back to owning a Windows Phone.
Trouble is, it's long in the tooth now. And my main reason for being with MS in the first place was integration with their other products. Which they now do first and better on platforms other than their own. So I've just ordered a new Android device for my daily driver. I don't think the camera will be up to the image quality of the 1020, but I'm hoping the rest of the experience will make up for that.
Will wait and see if MS decide to do a decent camera phone next year.

Sam_Cook

May 22, 2015
Visit site

It's a shame that Microsoft folks don't read this thread, because it has a very common theme. Some of the earliest adopters of Windows Phone, coming from WP7, are giving up on this platform. I too, am walking the plank to jump ship also. We, not AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint reps, are the ones that help spread the word about the benefits of using a Windows Phone, and which 3rd party apps to use if the actual app isn't available. The reps in stores are concerned with making their sales goals, and lets face it - an iPhone or Galaxy S phone sells in droves and has way more avenues of support available. Reps didn't in the past, nor are the going to with the launch of Win10, going to risk their paycheck on a platform that Microsoft has given no reason to trust in. That's their livelihood at stake, and I can't say I disagree with their decision not to gamble (as much as it sucks for us WP users).

That's where the Microsoft stores (B&M and online) could truly make the difference. And the fact is, they don't. Despite receiving an e-mail from Microsoft telling me the Lumia 640 is available, I am unable to purchase the device unless I sign up with Cricket. This launch is just another in a series of failures. There is no reason this device is unable to be sold unlocked on their websites/in stores right now. They've already released it in a number of international markets, so what is the delay even getting this budget device stateside?

But my biggest gripe is the absolute lack of transparency. Again, as an early adopter, I've been told time and time again to "just wait, something better is coming along". Be it 7.5->7.8->8.0->8.1->10. But what are we waiting for? Almost all new news has been for the general release of W10. If a device is coming alongside the launch of Win10, they must have SOME specs/features to share for those of us still waiting! But we get nothing.

I love the WP experience. I love the ease of typing, of just glancing at a tile for info rather than launching the app itself, and I love the lack of hiccups my device has had generally, despite its age. But I also know that we are being fed scraps, even relative to other mobile platforms who use Windows products!

Thus I'm done recommending the platform to anyone. I got my mother to switch to a Lumia roughly 2 years ago - I will not continue to recommend it to her, and if a salesperson convinces her to jump ship, I will help her make the transition over. I've read that Win10 is due this summer. If they cannot give hardware specs for the phones at that time, I'm leaving too. Screw waiting until end of year as I originally planned.

WP users are being forgotten about, plain and simple. Even this website, has redirected from wpcentral.com (stories that focused on WP news) to windowscentral.com. On the new homepage, the link to filter stories to just WP related articles is no longer present also. Subtle, but telling re: interest in the platform.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Me and my wife have been with Windows phone starting with the 900 then the 920 and she bought a used 1520 and I upgraded to the M8. She had an upgrade that she wanted to use and she had her heart set on either a S5 or a G3, The really sad part is, I could only think of one reason to stay with a Windows phone and that was the live tiles, and she had plenty of good reasons to switch, I don't need to point them out, you all know what they are. I will admit I am very worried about the Windows phone platform, I love the OS put they seem to be putting the noose on and getting ready to jump. I understood the reasoning behind the cheaper phones, but when they started making all the Windows App's available to the other platforms and now Cortana, I am just baffled. I am waiting to see what happens with Windows 10, hopefully, something good. Oh yes, my wife got the LG G3 and it is a really nice phone.

Uppgrayedd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Who's patience is running thin?

Been the owner of the Lumia 920 and bought my Lumia 1520 in 2013. My my was i impressed with the camera and fast UI. The OS is still minimal and missing many API's for developers to become truly intelligent. I got tired of waiting and have since bought the Galaxy Note 3, misssed windows went back to it then bought the iPhone 6 Plus, misssed windows then went back to it, bought the Galaxy Note Edge, misssed windows went back to it. Drove Windows 10 Preview looking promising but it seems far from being fully reliable and with no proper smartwatch support like other platforms I recently bought the LG G4. Giving Windows another 6 months and if no real improvement jumping ship for the next few years. Loving my LG G Watch R with my G4. Gosh im so happy

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Well. My new Android arrived. Kinda hope it tides me over till there's a decent Windows phone to pit it against.
For a couple hundred bucks a Lenovo K3 Note currently is weeing all over what a 1020 can do. Even if I've had to get used to what's changed in Android in the years I've been away.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Well, I ordered the Note 4. The deed is done. Lol.

Wish I didn't have to switch, but...

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Sad thread.

My contract is up in November, so I'll see what is being offered by MSFT at that time. As it stands right now, the only phone available to replace my 1020 is a 830. Pass.

If there isn't a suitable phone upgrade at that time, I'm not sure what I'll do. I tried W10 on my phone for a couple of days and wasn't exactly gob smacked by the o/s, so there's a strike right there.

My dear Lord, I miss my old Lumia 800 and 7.5 Tango (7.8 I thought stank.)

It actually hurt my heart to write this.

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

My Lumia 925 is cracked and instead of replacing the screen, I feel the need to get a new phone (it's been 2 years). I have T-Mobile and I have been waiting a month now for the Lumia 640, but then I realize that although I like the fluidity of Windows phone, it sucks, really. Without Rudy Huyn, I don't see why anyone would have a Windows phone. The newer music app by Microsoft and alternatives suck. There's a huge app gap. Cortana is coming on other platforms. The GPS is slow and the Compass is sooo inaccurate. No Google services, ( but I'll miss tubecast). You need an app to stop the music. Alarms only ring for 5 minutes then stop. No Snapchat. Missing bluetooth profiles. VPN only supports IPSec and IKEv2. The only exclusive thing on Windows phone is its live tiles and it's not even that great. Glance makes my phone hot. Bluetooth audio is low even when adjusted to the highest. Good flagships like the icon are exclusively available at Verizon. (I'm not willing to buy unlocked). It's sad how Windows Phone isn't doing great. It has really great potential and it grew from when I first got the Lumia 925. Before, it didn't have rotation lock, Cortana, or even an action center. Microsoft is messing up the platform so bad by making the phones exclusive and they support other platforms before their own. (Like Outlook, Office, Xbox Music, etc.)

I'll come back only if Windows phone gets 14% market share in the us. Until then, I'm moving to the Xperia Z3. I'll would say I will miss Windows Central but there's an app for that on Android ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronni B

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why isn't Google making a Gmail app , hangout for Windows phone?

I agree with Shakilurahmed - Windows Phone OS is absolutely the best (except maybe for the native dialer and navigation - but those are other issues). That said, I will probably be switching back to Android. At this stage in the email game, I'm pretty tied into my current email/contacts/calendar provider to make any changes. I assume a lot of folks are like me. And Windows Phone just doesn't handle Gmail/Google Calendar/Google Contacts in the way that gives me the best day to day functionality. I need the email and calendar and contact management integration. Access to Google Voice and Google Drive - other than web access - would be nice too, but that's not as critical for me.

If Google won't step up to the plate, there's no reason why Microsoft - a world leader in software development - can't develop an app for us that gives us the same functionality as we see on both Android and ios.

I really don't want to switch back. I truly do love my Lumia phone and the elegance of the Windows Phone OS. (I never thought the world "elegant" would be used in context with "Microsoft", but there you go). But I need my Google mail, calendar and contacts functionality back, and I'm not seeing that with Windows Phone.

If anyone has information that this might change with Windows Mobile 10, I'll hang on for a while longer. Otherwise, it's back to clunky Android.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

I hope Microsoft follows this thread. There are some really valid points being made on what's good about WP and what they need to work on. I think they biggest struggle for them is consumer confidence as well as retail rep confidence.

I work in end-user tech, so I'm platform agnostic and use all kinds of devices.

Funny thing though, the other day I got an interesting response from my very non-techie wife. I've cycled her through a lot of devices and although she had a hard time leaving Blackberry's physical keyboard, she was on WP shortly, then on Android for a couple of years and now on iPhone. She's not fond of the iPhone restrictions - just uses it because our son is on iOS. But, the other day, she said "the phone that is easiest to use was the Windows Phone. I loved the large squares and text. Too bad they don't have a sleek high-end phone". If Windows had hardware like the iPhone 6 or Samsung Note, my wife would highly consider going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium