Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OppfinnarJocke

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Long press to move cursor...? Come on..!

The reason to move the cursor is not typically to correct errors, the spell-checker does most of that for me (though even there MS made a bad choice to automatically add space after a word, it doesn't work well for many languages), but I move the cursor to add text that fit better in earlier sections, than where I am currently writing.

When you bought this phone did you just look at it and say "i want!" or did you go to the store and test it out and look up if the important features you wanted were on it? if you've already returned the phone, why are you on here ranting?

I'm not sure any answer to those question are really relevant, but here goes... The phone is a company phone, and it was returned to the company and I said no thanks, I'd rather have my Android phone back. I am ranting,because I was frustrated, and still am, by the (from my point of view) poor design choices MS seem to have made with WP8. I really wanted to get out of Googles grasp, but if the phone makes typing on it awkward, then I cannot use it, I type on the phone hours in total during a day.

And I'm sorry, I didn't know that people who did no longer have a WP8-phone were not allowed to post here...

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally find the keyboard amazing in WP8. The long press is best for the cursor because if you tried to drag your finger without the long press it would cause havoc with webpages and scrollable text boxes because they would move while you tried to move the cursor. The long press eliminates this problem. A space after each word is also perfect because when i select a word from the suggestions its because i want that word and want to type the next word after and if i want a question mark after then it automatically removes the space it added. My only issue is that typing the letter i doesn't get converted to uppercase which is annoying but everything else is perfect for me

EmptySpaces

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have swapped over to a Nokia Lumia 820 after spending nearly 3 years with an iphone, and i must say that so far i am massively regretting my decision. It seems as though every feature that excited me about getting the phone in the first place has gone wrong and more - inability to sync music, loss of sound, unable to save photos i take with the camera - even at one point having to reset the whole phone when it it could no longer make or receive calls! :(

I cannot fully express how disappointed i am with it, as my initial experience was highly positive, but now in so fed up with everything going wrong that im considering taking it back and getting something else instead.

Marshalix

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I gave it a real try....

Well... I wanted to love my Lumia 920 I really did... You can find it on eBay if you are interested in a well taken care of used unit... Guess I'll give android a shot windows phone has completely turned me off and iPhone is played out.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: I gave it a real try....

Are you going to explain what you didn't like? Also, why not post a link to your ebay listing if you're offering to sell it to us?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Are you going to explain what you didn't like? Also, why not post a link to your ebay listing if you're offering to sell it to us?

That is not permitted, per Forum rules.
• Barter Forum - Selling and/or trading items is not permitted outside of the Barter forum. For the protection of all members, sellers must be registered for at least 30 days and have a 50 post count minimum. Additional Marketplace rules and guidelines are in the Barter Forum Rules Sticky.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-site-news-feedback-help/204020-rules.html

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

That is not permitted, per Forum rules.
• Barter Forum - Selling and/or trading items is not permitted outside of the Barter forum. For the protection of all members, sellers must be registered for at least 30 days and have a 50 post count minimum. Additional Marketplace rules and guidelines are in the Barter Forum Rules Sticky.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-site-news-feedback-help/204020-rules.html

My mistake. Thanks for the heads up!

Marshalix

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Edit remove listings per post above

Here are the listings... I have a white and black model.

As for why windows phone didn't work out for me I would say the problems are fairly obvious. The entire overall experience is amateur. The few apps that do exist perform piss poor at best compared to other os offerings. Windows phone has plenty of cool features and looks promising but it is not even close to being a real competitor with IOS or android (jelly bean that is). I am not talking market share... Purely from a user experience stand point it just isn't finished. Little things plague me throughout the whole os, from the camera and voice control still making noise on silent to the terrible performance of the text selector... It just disappoints in the details. Also... Show me a 920 that doesn't get dust in the ffc... I am convinced after multiple exchanges and seeing others devices it doesn't exist.

To top it all off the damn thing couldn't even post itself to eBay... The app was too ****ty and just came up with error messages after filling out all the details... I would post to Facebook about it but that app would just frustrate me further lol. Maybe its the devs fault, maybe its windows, maybe its Nokia.... Honestly I have complaints all around. I highly anticipated the release of this phone and patiently waited and waited for it only to be let down.

Good luck to the rest of you getting updates to fix the problems which if you are honest with yourself you all know exist.

If anyone truly thinks their 920 is the best phone out I am sorry to tell you but you simply don't have enough experience with high end androids or the iPhone 5. They are better its plain to see to the objective eye.

I will miss my low light camera though... But that alone can't keep me locked into this crude attempt to be number three.

Farwell ladies and gentlemen this long time lurker and every article reader is throwing in the towel for now... Maybe windows phone 10 will be legit... It took Android forever to get their act together

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I have literally messed with a windows phone for less than 10 minutes total, and most of it was a lumia 900 8 months ago. I have only used android phones for the past 5 years or so, and am just wanting a change to something new.

I dont know if the lack of apps and games is a good thing for me or not, i love "the hunt" in life, or anything really. I love researching things and searching for products online. Im pretty positive that I enjoyed the hunt for my Yellow 920 more than i will enjoy playing with it the first time(its still on its way). The lack of apps and games can be awesome, or just frustrate me so much that it pushes me right back to android. I will either love the fact that i get to be excited that something has become available, or i will just be so dissapointed that it isnt already available that i just give up.

Either way i dont expect the change to be that big of a deal for me, i dont use my phone for all that much. I dont have a facebook, i dont do twitter, i dont even use my phone for music. The only thigns i do on my phone are talk, text, games, surf the net/google(i guess bing now),do youtube stuff(metrotube?), and take a few pictures every now and then. Literally the only things i see pushing me from my WP back to android is games, if they dont start coming out faster, ill become quite bored. Even on android i find it hard to find games i actually enjoy for more than a day or 2.

I will try to keep everyone up to date on my experiences, and im sure i will have quite a few questions along the way.

BTW im coming from a HTC one X and if i dont end up keeping my WP ill probably sell or trade it to get a Note 2.

Shawn

anon(5327037)

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I have swapped over to a Nokia Lumia 820 after spending nearly 3 years with an iphone, and i must say that so far i am massively regretting my decision. It seems as though every feature that excited me about getting the phone in the first place has gone wrong and more - inability to sync music, loss of sound, unable to save photos i take with the camera - even at one point having to reset the whole phone when it it could no longer make or receive calls! :(

I cannot fully express how disappointed i am with it, as my initial experience was highly positive, but now in so fed up with everything going wrong that im considering taking it back and getting something else instead.

iPhone user for 5 years, with a few Androids along the way (short lived). I got an 820 after deciding the 920 was like putting a Nintendo DS in my pocket. I don't blame you for leaving, fortunately I haven't experienced most of those issues. I can sync perfectly with iTunes, my sound has been rock solid since the portico update and never had an issue saving photos (that's just plan weird). I DID have an issue not being able to make calls. Exchanged the phone and no more problems with that. My only beef, and to me it's a major beef...is this piece of crap reboots spontaneously a few times a day. Pisses me off. Giving Microsoft or Nokia a few months to straighten that out.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

The desktop version of IE 10 is terrible. Try it and see. You're right, plenty of people say it's bad for a reason.....because it's that bad. And Aggemam, again, I had plenty of good things to say about both the Lumia 920 and WP8.......if you had bothered to read my opinions and didn't toss out the typical "TLDR" response.

This is not accurate. IE 10 is very good. Even some of my chrome loving friends use it now.

so yeah...

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

And to this day, Xbox Music is still lipstick on a pig. It's such a jumbled, horrible mess of a way to listen to music. It made me laugh because my friend just got a 920 and he was *****ing about how he couldn't figure out how to sync his music, lol.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

I was referring to the mobile IE 10 browser set to 'desktop mode' view for Facebook.com.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

I have had Windows Phone since pre-NoDo and have had an HD7 on T-Mobile and a Lumia 900 on AT&T. I love the OS, but I'm tired of not being able to get all the good apps. The tipping point was getting a new car. It is a Chevy Spark and has Chevy's highly reviewed MyLink infotainment system. This system allows voice control through your car, the use of apps (including Pandora and offline navigation) though your smartphone (its a "dumb" screen that uses your smartphone as its brain). There is an app that lets you monitor everything about your car, oil, fuel level, fuel economy, tire pressure, etc. remotely from your phone. This app also lets you start your car remotely or unlock your doors remotely. All very cool. However, the app integration only works with iPhone and Android, and the remote app is only for iPhone, Android, AND BLACKBERRY (like old blackberry, not just the new BB10). I'm tired of not getting access to first class apps and services like this. Every update has been "the big one" that's going to push Windows Phone over the edge. They said it for NoDo, they said it for Mango, and now we are all saying it for WP8. I'm done hanging on and waiting. I'm getting a used Android cheap to get me by till my July upgrade at which point I'll get either an iPhone, Android, or maybe BB10 (if they have the apps I'm complaining about WP not having, and it is looking like RIM is doing a better job of attracting them than Microsoft did).

My rant is done.

EDIT: Also, how does an iPod support DRM'd WMA audio books from my library but my WINDOWS phone doesn't support WMA? Another big frustration.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

I can see your frustration (long time BB user), but I would give the phone a few months before you decide to jump ship. From what I've read WP8 is doing fairly well, meaning the apps will come, you just gotta be patient ;)

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

The real sad part is how LONG it took you to jump ship, seeing as how you've been "waiting" for so long to get first class apps. Lets just be realistic here, if you are buying a Windows phone you KNOW you are not getting first-class apps, and that it will be a LONG SHOT/miracle to ever get there. If you have a Windows phone, it is because you want to have something different, "unique", and maybe you like the design of the OS or the hardware appeals to you. It will very likely NEVER become as big as Android or IOS, to think so would be overly optimistic - we are destined to have the second tier, third tier or even lower quality apps (for quite some time, if not forever). App wise, sometimes we may luck out and get some good ones, but generally that is not why we have the phone, and I am perfectly happy with my L920.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I love it when individuals voice valid complaints about WP and they get "******" responses such as, "buh bye", " see ya", etc.

Nothing the OP said was invalid and his/her history with WP does not make their decision a knee-jerk reaction.

Some of you guys have a strange loyalty/obsession with WP. I'm starting to think a lot of the posters here work for Microsoft. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb