Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, my daughter, 17, just ditched her iPhone for a brand new shiny red Lumia 920. First thing she said was that she can't believe how much faster it is. And is very impressed with the camera.

I have been seeing more and more kids switching to WP. Hopefully that trend continues.

awkm

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Even High end Android devices are far behind in fluidness. I have both WP and android(oppo find 5), and i never use my find 5. I just can't stand The hickups on that Android Device.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

My wife has a Nexus 4 (Jelly Bean) and it runs very smoothly for Android. I had an HTC Raider (probably called Holiday elsewhere) and it wasn't exactly under-specced but it was a lot more sluggish using Ice Cream Sandwich as HTC helpfully discontinued it like a few months after release and ditched updates.

Just bought an Ascend W1 today and while it's certainly on the "cheaper end" of WP8 devices it is flying. First evening playing with it so no real review yet but the initial impressions are that WP8 is very well optimized. I'm interested to see how the battery performs as it's a pretty beefy 1950mAh unit. Will report back in a few days.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The piracy issue, or the lack thereof. Unless piraters will bother to register a dev account to upload apps via the beta program (which I doubt), there is no way to pirate.

Secure Boot trumps all!

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
People said to me, "You are a foolish one to choose a Dual Core phone there are a lot of Quad Core phones in the markets",
but hey, this is Windows Phone, I dont need to use that Quad Core or big RAM. I am using Lumia 620 (well this is my first WP and it's truly AWESOME), and I have made more than 7 of my friends to use Lumia. They love it!

What I love:
- People Hub.
- Linked Inbox, dont know why but I love the way WP mixed all my emails.
- Music and Videos (there is no XBOX Music in Indonesia), all of my friends fall in love to WP when they see how WP play music. With beautiful artwork, and integration to the lockscreen, everyone loves it!
- Camera lens. I don't have to edit photos anymore, just uses the lens app!
- Skydrive, definitely!!! This is the first reason why I buy WP! I am using Microsoft's products everyday, from Windows, Hotmail, to Office, and all of them connects to my WP and Skydrive with no problem at all.
- Smooth and fluid, although it doesn't run on a powerhouse. My sister is the one who really surprised how smooth a WP can run on a mid range to low end specs (compared to Sams*ng and Androids phone). No lags, no restarts like blackberries, and of course again, the fluid.
- Live Tiles, the feature which makes WP really amazing than any other OS.
- Bing Translator
- Facebook, Twitter, and lots of social media integration into the OS. I can upload photos (yeps, not only one, but many together) to FB, tag people, write captions, without opening any FB apps!! Same thing happened to Twitter and instant messaging like Whatsapp and LINE.

My next future phone will be Windows Phone again, definitely.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Rock solid.
Fast.
Beautiful graphics......and I'm not easily swayed by eye candy over function.
So fast to find contacts and apps.
Not iPhone.
Not Android. I've only owned one. But it's obvious that so many Androids are fraught with huge problems. Spontaneous rebooting as one example. Too many cooks in the soup. The curse of open source.
Not Symbian....oh, wait, those were pretty good, but RIP.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my first WP since last week, leaving android behind.

So far I am very happy i did.

WHY:

As many have said, THE LIVE TILES.
Actually, the whole start page
it just makes sense.
Instead of a 1999 desktop folder type deal, folders and apps and some widgets
this layout is superb
one long continuous ribbon of everything you love
no switching between 6-8 different tiles left and right
just up and down, one big happy swipe of joy

the interface is so original, like i said, it's not just a jumble of folders and apps
it is actually a GUI that makes sense and is original!

I love how on the email tiles or text message tiles it tells you how many new messages since you last checked
this is excellent.

the address bar for the web browser being at the bottom, DUH! finally
(and it seems they try to make most things closer to your thumbs, instead of near the top where on big phones many people have problems reaching)

Office integration, yes and yes

simplicity
originality
efficiency

Adi2

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
After reading almost all the posts on this topic,I begin to understand why google won't make apps for wp8.It's not about the "critical number of users"as that p***k from google said it is about fear of competition,sooner or later wp will take a big bite of android users

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it's all about ecosystem and MS has that with XBOX and Office365. The dual play with consumer and enterprise is huge.

haganistic

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I this sounds kinda stupid to say, but I saw a really hot girl last night using a nokia 1020 - I was stunned first because she was stunning and secondly because she had a nokia 1020 and loved it and all her friends liked it too. There's hope.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, Windows Phones feel more personal than other platforms, especially when compared to iOS. And on top of that, they are a lot more intuitive and responsive, especially when compared to Android.

Fred Flintsone1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

5 star music audio, camera on par with point and shoot models, call clarity(some us still use that feature) and apps like metro tube (plays you tube for WP8 for those who don't know ) works better on WP8 than on android as does g mail which syncs better on wp8. I can even access desktop sites on WP* where the site appears as it does on desktop, no overlaps no need for mobile version. But if MS doesn't reign in those developers who are putting out lots of not ready for prime time apps that cause battery issues etc....... going to be a long road for WP8.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
DEDICATED CAMERA BUTTON, Office/Skydrive integration, gorgeous interface design, fluid functionality, Facebook notification integrated in the People Hub, live tiles, Nokia rocks! etc... plus yes, Microsoft stands behind its product. They need to get with the program and make a bunch of things less quirky, but the platform is slowly growing, and despite the limitations (voice text input throughout the ENTIRE system please?), I and many others are ardently loyal to it. I have no complaints about apps or battery life. I have plenty of complaints about carrier support and cell phone salesmen who know nothing about anything except Apple and Samsung.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Incredible battery life. My Android was a battle. My brother's Android with super heavy duty bulging battery is similar.
My 810 with standard battery and modest us is good for two days. Buy the eBay 2500mah battery from China and it will run four, five days on standby.

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think their partnership with Nokia is really important. Nokia has lots of experience and I think their build quality is good.
And of course, their camera quality is absolutely stunning.Those low light pictures look great. Clear Black displays are great, too.
From my experience with some of the older Nokia phones, they have great signal quality.
And then, there's the OS itself. It runs silky smooth(from what I hear). Even when WP7 was released, It ran smoothly on devices with less memory and weaker CPUs, comparing to the higher end CPUs and bigger memories that were used in Android phones.

Last edited:

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone has a very smooth, fast, accurate & well designed UI and can run great even with 512MB of ram. Android's case is exactly the opposite. WP apps market can grow and apps can get improved but for Android it's difficult it's drawbacks to be fixed as they are related to the OS functioning and how it handles resources.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb