Real RAW in lumia phones?

Mr Kaja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I guess, many of us have real experiences with DNG files from our lumia phones. RAW is a great issue...at least, you can change color temperature, save under/overexposed or underexposed pictures... The thing is - in my opinion, there something wrong about lumias DNG. I haven't be able to get more details from DNG compared to JPG. Even in case of color temperature. It really works like bigger JPG. I have read a few tests and it was the same.
Of course, I know, we are talking about camera phone, not DSLR, but I saw RAW (DNG) from LG G4 and it was what I expected - no problem to get more details in compare to JPG.

Well, I saw many people excited about these DNG, but have never seen real (proved) benefits. In this case, DNG seems useless... I appreciate your opinions.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Great question and great topic.

I'm under the impression that DNG is identical to RAW in everyway except RAW is proprietary to certain licensing and DNG is the same standard with open licensing... https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

On the other hand it may be that Rawer is not presenting as powerful of a selection of editing tools as on Android??? I'm totally unsure and am speculating here. I mean raw sensor data is raw sensor data so to say that it is the file extension at fault is not really sensible. Also you are looking at two different sensors as on a 1520 or an LG G4, yes? How about difference in screen on the two phones?

I would think that a more fair comparison would have to be to take a .dng file of the exact same subject from each phone and process them via a single desktop app like GIMP or Photoshop and then compare results...

For myself, I've found editing a .dng in Rawer can significantly improve an otherwise lackluster shot for my tastes. I don't think it will overcome glaring deficiencies in a poorly taken picture or one outside the camera module's capabilities, but I do see improvement even there.

Mr Kaja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't really understand. LG G4 and lumias...have both DNG files. But let say it simply - you have white overexposed clouds. So, you lost all details. In LG G4, poeple were able to recover some of these lost details. In case of my lumia 1020, nothing happens. White area only become grey. When you are really lucky, maybe you can recover some detail.

So I would be glad so see images, where whoever was able to get really more details (not talking about sharpening) than in JPG (ideally including original non-compressed JPG). It would be nice to see G4 and lumia DNG comparsion!

P.S. look at AlexDobie google+ profile (WPCentral don't let me post links yet)

You can find original JPG and picture processed from DNG...differences between skies seem incredible for my lumia 1020 (and i guess, 1020 should be at least comparable).

mrnameless

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I got a huge problem with RAW now. I'm an amatuer photographer with a nokia 1020. For some reason I changed my format of 5 MP + 34 MP JPEG to 5 MP + 34 MP .DNG.

Problem with this is that I have no way of uploading the high quality photos. I don't know how to edit the .DNG files properly. GIMP and Contena Coverter Premium do not help. My files are 4x huger than normal (from 10MB to +40MB), and they are tinted purple and have horrible quality. I just want to go back to my high quality 34 MB JPEG photos. I took like a 100 pics on vacation too. I don't want those ****ed up. /:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire