Are the Lumia 930/ICON & 1520 still worth buying?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been debating whether or not I should go with a 930/ICON, or a 1520 to use until the flagship comes. I really have no interest in using a low end phone as a stop gap either. So if I decide these two are no longer worth the buy then I'll most likely just hold onto an 830.. This is a debate for me for the following reasons

What if I get a 930/1520 that has one of it's infamous issues? will MS still replace it for me? If not, then what the heck am I supposed to do?!?!?

Is there any reliable third party insurance that doesn't cost like $100? SquareTrade?

The reliability of these phones in 2015 is making me question whether I should return to the 1520 again/try out the 930, or play it safe and go for 830 which would definitely have MS's full support for replacements incase of defects

Although Such Visual perfection! :confused:

green-lumia-1520-27-1280x851.jpg
nokia-lumia-930-quad-22-incrivel-tela-5-1920x1080-20-mpx-16172-MLB20115111914_062014-F.jpg
Nokia-Lumia-830-7.jpg

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I use the 930. I purchased the 635 to try out W10TP,and since using both I'd have to agree that carrying a budget device as a daily driver is no longer an option for me.
I never advise anyone on what phone to get since we all have different requirements. 2 things though...
1. I have been one of the lucky ones in that any issues with my 930 are at most, mildly annoying. It checks all the boxes for my needs and is a pleasure to use.
2. Have Square Trade for my phone and my daughter's S5. She has had to use it for a cracked screen and the process was absolutely seamless and painless. I would recommend them without hesitation.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I use the 930. I purchased the 635 to try out W10TP,and since using both I'd have to agree that carrying a budget device as a daily driver is no longer an option for me.
I never advise anyone on what phone to get since we all have different requirements. 2 things though...
1. I have been one of the lucky ones in that any issues with my 930 are at most, mildly annoying. It checks all the boxes for my needs and is a pleasure to use.
2. Have Square Trade for my phone and my daughter's S5. She has had to use it for a cracked screen and the process was absolutely seamless and painless. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Can you still acquire SquareTrade if you are purchasing a used phone?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You understand, the 930 and Icon are two different phones, right?
Yes I completely understand. It's just that they share very similar issues, and pretty much only have the difference of frequency bands, carrier branding, and color choice. So I wanted input from both ICON and 930 users

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You understand, the 930 and Icon are two different phones, right?

Good point. Be aware that the Icon is cdma and the 930 is gsm. The Icon is gsm unlocked but if you are using it on a gsm carrier like at&t or T-Mobile you lose some things like mms and internet sharing. Also the 930 will not get lte on at&t or T-Mobile. For me the hspa+ is sufficient but lots of people see this as a deal breaker. Again, its all about what your needs are.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I never see unlocked AT&T 1520's being sold by real deal big online retailers.. only by just regular people selling a device, although the foreign ( non U.S) 1520's I see are almost always unlocked

I'd you don't mind eBay,I'm looking at quite a few on my laptop right now. I don't see any "new" though. There are a few listed by reputable dealers that are "new other" (open box). The ones I am looking at are rm-940 at&t unlocked.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd you don't mind eBay,I'm looking at quite a few on my laptop right now. I don't see any "new" though. There are a few listed by reputable dealers that are "new other" (open box). The ones I am looking at are rm-940 at&t unlocked.
I didn't plan on getting a brand new one or even a mint used one as those seem to always be around $300. I was just going to settle for a fair condition one for about $160-190 and maybe replace the body with a fresh new one for about $20. My main concern with going back to the 1520 was my fear that some sort of problem would arise and I'd be stuck with a defective unit as MS probably won't replace a used item bought by a third party retailer. Hence why I even in the slightest considered the 830 because it'll be supported and safe

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes,unfortunately, I think you're right about not having support from Microsoft for a 3rd party purchase. That's the chance you have to take with buying anything other than new and from someone other than Microsoft or a carrier. Never had issues with my 3rd party purchases but I sure understand your concerns.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes,unfortunately, I think you're right about not having support from Microsoft for a 3rd party purchase. That's the chance you have to take with buying anything other than new and from someone other than Microsoft or a carrier. Never had issues with my 3rd party purchases but I sure understand your concerns.

I have no idea which of the three I should aim for as my partner in crime for the foreseeable future

1520- no compromises, but unwieldy, has a somewhat too sensitive display ( LCD spots and screen cracks can be particularly easy to cause ) and no support

930 or ICON-perfect size, amoled, aluminum, easily swapped backs, etc, but no LTE, possibly no MMS and very thick, also the Verizon logo on the front of the ICON is huge ugly turn off

830-Lower spec'd internals making it midrange, and the screen and camera aren't as good as the others.. but support is there...

:unhappysweat:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea which of the three I should aim for as my partner in crime for the foreseeable future

1520- no compromises, but unwieldy, has a somewhat too sensitive display ( LCD spots and screen cracks can be particularly easy to cause ) and no support

930 or ICON-perfect size, amoled, aluminum, easily swapped backs, etc, but no LTE, possibly no MMS and very thick, also the Verizon logo on the front of the ICON is huge ugly turn off

830-Lower spec'd internals making it midrange, and the screen and camera aren't as good as the others.. but support is there...

:unhappysweat:

I feel your pain.

First of all you will most certainly get MMS, visual voicemail, etc. with the 930 on AT&T or T-Mobile. But not with the Icon.

I love my Lumia 830, but I had the privilege of playing with a gold/white 930 for a few days this past weekend and fell in love. What a beautiful device and display. It had no screen or battery issues like I've read about. Maybe it's a newer batch. It's also made in Vietnam and not China; not sure if quality control varies between the two countries.

It's made me very tempted to get a gold 930 of my own, but then I'd have to do without Glance, LTE, and expandable memory (the last one isn't too important to me).

The 830 has it all, and performs very well, so I hesitantly decided just to stick with what I have.

Owned a 1520 but ended up selling it... just too big, and the swipe/tap/scroll bug was annoying.

If I were you, it would be between the 930 and the 830, but the choice gets tougher from there. I had an 830 without LTE back in October and November of last year, and it performed very well on H+, if that helps you any. But performance wise, there really is just a miniscule difference between the 830 and the 930/1520 unless you're a hardcore gamer.

I may have just made your decision tougher :grin::eck:. But I've used and/or owned every device in questions, so I thought I'd chime in.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain.

First of all you will most certainly get MMS, visual voicemail, etc. with the 930 on AT&T or T-Mobile. But not with the Icon.

I love my Lumia 830, but I had the privilege of playing with a gold/white 930 for a few days this past weekend and fell in love. What a beautiful device and display. It had no screen or battery issues like I've read about. Maybe it's a newer batch. It's also made in Vietnam and not China; not sure if quality control varies between the two countries.

It's made me very tempted to get a gold 930 of my own, but then I'd have to do without Glance, LTE, and expandable memory (the last one isn't too important to me).

The 830 has it all, and performs very well, so I hesitantly decided just to stick with what I have.

Owned a 1520 but ended up selling it... just too big, and the swipe/tap/scroll bug was annoying.

If I were you, it would be between the 930 and the 830, but the choice gets tougher from there. I had an 830 without LTE back in October and November of last year, and it performed very well on H+, if that helps you any. But performance wise, there really is just a miniscule difference between the 830 and the 930/1520 unless you're a hardcore gamer.

I may have just made your decision tougher :grin::eck:. But I've used and/or owned every device in questions, so I thought I'd chime in.
No you jjustmade the decision easier.. I guess iI'lltry and get my hands on a 930, and 830 then decide. I'm gonna have to sadly cancel out the 1520 as its defects/bugs are more major and would be hell to live with. Ghost taps, and a screen that can easily obtain LCD spots and cracks easily is worse than bad battery and heat issues.I could just get a power bank for the battery on the go..

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Here are plenty of Lumia 1520, quite a few of them unlocked for $200 or so. You should get one from deal.fisher if you see them selling one. Their excellent condition is very close to mint condition device.
Good luck.
lumia 1520 | eBay

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been in this situation for a while too. I currently own the 830 but wanted a 930 for the better specs and camera, but want the 1520 for the same plus bigger screen... in the end I haven't been able to make up my mind. I have read a thread here that the the issues on the 930 haven't been as common on the newer batches (or maybe they are the lucky ones) and also the 1520's issues don't appear as often with double-tap to wake turned off.
My latest plan has been to buy a used 1520 in green on Amazon for like 280 and return it if it has issues, then go for a 930 and pay the difference (it costs like 340).
Oh well, good luck with your purchase!

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to add, the 830 is not a bad device at all. I really enjoy it and the camera has been great... gaming has been a good experience too. Battery life, screen, build quality... all great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3