Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

hardly_here

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Sure the notifications work on WP10 but when i select the email i want to look at it does not want to open it. i will have to fiddle with it and then sure it opens it but its not formatted well enough to read. I I dont care about notifications as much as the UI is friendly. Combined mail is nice, focus mail is nice. Am just saying compared to Droid, WP10 Outlook app is lacking and that does say something about it.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
For me it comes down to t-mobile. If they get a flagship I will, if they don't may switch. Definitely not switching providers, I use jump so MS store not an option right now. With more and more carriers using jump like programs, ms has to get with it. I have no contract so expect to upgrade my phone once/year. Right now have htc one m8 and Nov will be a year so hopefully will have it :)

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I am undecided. It really has a lot to do with what they do with Win10 Mobile. I became a fan of Windows Phone with WP7.1. I have owned an HTC Radar 4G, Lumia 521, and now a Lumia 635. Though the quirkiness of the phones has become less with each upgrade, they have at the same time lost features that were valuable to me and that made WP unique. Now I have glimpsed the future (Win10Mobile) and so far I really don't like it. They are ruining the easy, fluid UX. I hate the hamburger menu. I hate the lack of a combined/unified email inbox which now makes it 4 times as long to check my email. Heck, Outlook on my Android tablet is better than Outlook on my Win10 tablet OR Win10 Mobile. If the UX for Win10Mobile doesn't improve then Windows on a phone is ruined IMO. I'm tired of waiting for everyone to realize how great WP is while MS guts it of everything that makes it great. Live Tiles alone are not enough to keep me. Android has improved enough over the years (at least pure Android) that I will be swayed to switch. I'm still waiting and hoping for MS to fix it but judging by Windows 10 on the tablet, well lets just say I am already researching what Android phone I want.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards no right now.

Quick background: I'm an early adopter of WP starting back with a Samsung Focus on WP7 up through a Lumia 900, 920 and finally a 925. My company shifted to a CalDAV based calendaring system and that doesn't work with WP or Outlook which means I had to switch to Apple or Android and I chose the original HTC One M7.

Today I am ready for a new phone, probably going with either a iPhone 6s or a Galaxy S6 (though I will shop around cause I hate TouchWiz). I'll probably wait to see what MS announces with the Cityman/Talkman but due to the still present CalDAV issue I'm leaning towards a big N-O on Win10 Mobile. This is compounded by the fact that I've become reliant on a handful of Android apps that are missing from WP or are stale and aren't receiving regular updates (travel, banking, investing apps plus Reddit Sync, PocketCasts and MyFitnessPal are the biggies).

I am digging Win10 on the desktop and would much prefer to give my money and personal info to MS over Google or Apple. I've always loved the Lumia phone color/designs/durability but they just haven't kept up from a day-to-day usability standpoint. WP's UX used to be a differentiating feature that made me tolerate the app gap, but nowadays with the hamburgers and generally poor one-handed UX in Win10 Mobile it doesn't make much sense to stick with them. Hope this strategy helps close the app gap so they can catch up on features and make this desktop/mobile convergence a reality but it's not here today and I need a phone ASAP.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I initially jumped on the Windows phone train, was due to the Lumia 1020, and that insane camera (for stills *as well* as video).
Since a follow up to that is not in the cards, I have no problem switching (I'd kind of already done so, with a Moto X, but lost it some time ago at a football game). It's looking like an iPhone 6S for me.

The only X factor is, I still have a Microsoft stores' device insurance plan, where if your phone fails or is damaged, they do a like for like swap on a new device. So, if I wait until October or November I'd be getting one of the new phones for only the $100 deductible, not on contract. The Lumia is already experiencing battery issues, and a store manager said it's a swap candidate, so........choices choices.

Jeff Hubbard

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I loved my Lumia 1020 but had to switch to either Android or iOS because my employer at the time had a required app that wasn't available on WP. My contract was up earlier this month and I thought hard about going with a new flagship WP but decided to just get the Note 5 instead. I started with a Samsung Focus 7 years ago and it's always felt like WP is one version away from being great. I'm tired of the never ending stream of "just wait for...." I have a sinking feeling they will finally announce the phone's in October but not available until December with the continuum dock thing coming next year followed by promised patches and fixes to fully enable all the features. It's always just around the corner with WP. On the other hand, if they finally do get this stuff out and it works well I'm happy to switch back. I've just decided not to wait anymore.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm tired of the never ending stream of "just wait for...." I have a sinking feeling they will finally announce the phone's in October but not available until December with the continuum dock thing coming next year followed by promised patches and fixes to fully enable all the features. It's always just around the corner with WP. On the other hand, if they finally do get this stuff out and it works well I'm happy to switch back. I've just decided not to wait anymore.

I agree, but I likewise don't see the 'wait for it, it's just around the corner' thing to not be a Windows phone meme.
You're already seeing it now with 'oh, these aren't the *real* Microsoft phones. Wait for the Surface phone for sometime in 2016.'

Yeah, NO.

no1herd

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit I am anxiously awaiting the new iPhone to come out. I have been counting it down of late and cannot wait much longer. I like having new tech and the lack of new hardware has been tough. I hate to lose my 1020 camera but honestly will keep the phone to use on vacations. I loved the hardware, I really like what they've done with the OS, however the lack of app support has really been hurting me lately. Next week should be the iPhone announcement and I will go back to a platform where there are developers actively working on new apps and updating current apps.

Lucius97

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
It has been a hell of a ride, but no. I have always heard how awesomely stable and secure was Windows compared to Android but to be honest it has turned out to be worst. Crashes, bugs and overall bad performance is something I have lived everyday and I had two Lumia phones. Windows feels like a beta and its apps are not better. Windows 10 might improve things but the new design just feels a lot like Android/iOS and since most of the apps from now on will probably be ports from Google OS, why don't just use Android? I miss so much the personalization that you could do to Android and just how easy it was to do pretty much everything you wanted with it. Men, I would kill for an Android atm xD However, once I get an Android (I will any time soon) I will miss the camera and the beautiful design most Lumias have. I really can't say I will miss Windows. Sorry, I just can't.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and because they have a permanent battery and no SD slot I decided to go to Windows Phone. But, my main reason, and I don't see anyone talking about this at all, is that I want a phone that interfaces better with Microsoft Office and the contacts in Outlook. I was actually excited to be able to open a Word document or an Excel file without having to use a third-party program.

Well, this is one of the main points to me, I see it should be a major advantage to be inside the Windows ecosystem first hand. And not only for Office, but yeah, the whole ecosystem is definitely the most serious and productivity-oriented. Light years away from Android and iOS, however you look at it.

However, after reading this I'm a little hesitant on making the switch. I use Google Maps all the time and it's great and Google search seems to be far superior to any other search, although I have not used Bing in ages.

It's not. Bing is equally good as a search engine in every respect. And might be even better as an engine overall. It feeds a lot of the competition's services, and behind Cortana, for example, it works as a intelligent network of related content. it's not just searches.

I am also concerned about the bank application. I was told I could use the standard web rather than phone site but we know sometimes the layout of that website, with dialog boxes, prevent you from entering data.

With bank apps it depends a lot of how the bank cares for their customers. Mine recently made a WP app. I don't care enough for having it, it's definitely not a point I'd take into account for choosing a smartphone/OS. I see people make a big fuss about it though. I do my banking stuff from my desktop or my Surface, and that's that. But well, I do think the web version should suffice.

I am also concerned about battery life with the active tiles in Windows Phone.

This won't be a problem, at all. In any case, Android is known for having lots of background processes which drain resources and battery. No wonder they resort to apps that kill processes, look this up. Windows is well optimized and Lumias are not resource-hogs, battery life should be normal in any modern Lumia.

Besides, live tiles do not take a lot in terms of processing power and/or battery life.

This entire posting is being dictated into my phone and I also like swipe for typing.

Windows Mobile 10 supports speech entry wherever you can type. It's a new feature that I expect to work well, being that it's based on the same great voice recognition that powers Cortana.

So I was gung ho about getting a Windows Phone and now I am not so sure. So many of you are saying bad things about it.

I read your post and decided to take my time to make a response to your questions, because I see all the negative bias towards WP in this thread that it's uncalled for and unfair, and I realized that people like you could be influenced by it.

WP it's not as bad as the OP makes it look. It's not bad, it's a great OS, that it's also growing and maturing, and did that much faster than IOS and Android. It's simply that some people do not like it. But it's mature enough as it is to stand toe to toe with any of the other two. Except for the so called "app gap", which as you might have noticed if you read the whole thread, it's HIGHLY subjective and depends on personal use. I have never felt it myself, at all. Never once said "oh, I need that app, it's a shame it's not out for WP".

I think that you'd be well within the Windows ecosystem with a Lumia, and I highly recommend that you get on board or stick to it.

Apple is pretentious, and runs morally questionable practices, we already established that. Samsung devices are not very well built and IMHO Android is a complex mess. I say wait for the release of Windows Mobile 10 and give it a try, you won't regret it.

I've been rocking my Lumia 920 since it came out, and it still works really well, considering its age. I'm planning of buying the new flagship as soon as it comes out, but there's also a lot of good Lumias currently being sold in every price range.

macgyver35

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely going to buy another Windows Phone. Not only for my self and my wife, but 43 more for the office and field staff at work. As the company's sole IT guy, Windows Phones have given me almost no problems since deploying them 3 years ago. Every few months, I'll have one that freezes up and requires a soft reset, but other than that they have been great, and proven to be very durable, with 2/3 of our users being fireplace and garage door installers that tend to be pretty rough on things. When we used iPhone and Android, I was constantly working on one phone or another. The staff prefers Windows Phone and have said they are easier to use and have far less issues. While we have some 1020's, 830's, and 640 deployed, we also have about 2 dozen 3-year-old 920's that are still going strong and taking excellent jobsite photos.

In our household, daily drivers are 1020's and I've been following along with WP10 on a Lumia 830. So far, WP10 does everything I need, except the Insteon home control app has not been updated to work with it yet. I hear everyone complain about the lack of banking apps, and I just don't get it. For one, I'd never access my bank account on a mobile device. And two, why do so many people need to screw around in their bank account all the time? Our household has a 6-figure income, we have a mortgage, and all the typical bills to pay, and I log in on my home PC and check my bank account once a week or so.
If you are cutting it so close financially that you have to check your bank balance all the time, maybe buying a new flagship phone every year should be reconsidered. But either way, judging by the rate at which Windows 10 is being adopted, and now installed by default in new PCs, I can't imagine developers turning a blind eye to what is, as of a few days ago, already a pool of 75 million users and growing. Once the universal apps start rolling out, and the money for developers starts rolling in, the app gap will largely be mitigated.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hear everyone complain about the lack of banking apps, and I just don't get it. For one, I'd never access my bank account on a mobile device. And two, why do so many people need to screw around in their bank account all the time? Our household has a 6-figure income, we have a mortgage, and all the typical bills to pay, and I log in on my home PC and check my bank account once a week or so.
Perhaps a person who travels on business and gets checks given to him/her as payment for work. Rather than wait around till getting home or looking for a bank branch (especially if there isn't one in the town where the person happens to be), that person could take a picture of the check and deposit it immediately.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
No. Even to date, I have been trying for stay with my 1520 for a week or so, but simply can't. The moment I start up the Facebook app, I feel like closing the app again. Is such a pain using the app.

Wanted to catch movies / dramas on windows phone. Launched VLC, and it works like crap. Subtitles not loading, limited supports for video codecs as compared to MX Player on Android. Another pain in the **** experience.

Next I launch NextGen reader to read about the news, the app is good, but the moment I start Internet Explorer, the pain is back. Slow rendering, and pages are appearing weird as compared to Google Chrome on my Note 4.

All the freaking flipping animations in / out of apps are turning me off. When I landed on the Start screen, I have to wait for a split second for the animations to settle before I can apply any gesture actions on it. Live tiles are not that important to me because I will not wait for it to be flipped in order to see what's new. I will rather tap and launch the app. To me, tiles are just another form of shortcuts icons.

Getting another Windows phone? Thanks but no thanks. Had enough of this OS since WP7. iPhone is my next platform to experience on. Icons are boring and stale for some, but at the very least, I can get better app selections and smoother user experiences.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence with this one, nearly 3 years ago things were flowing smoothly and picking up pace yet this last year has gotten quite stale in my opinion, messy in fact. For me it comes down to a lack of premium hardware, software that is incomplete in that it does the job (somewhat) but in a roundabout way and some annoyances with the hardware/software that won't get resolved until the advent of WP10, a big maybe though.

Sure there is "wait for it" coming down the pipe but how big is that pipe and when will it arrive, the longer the wait the further behind we get as I see it, not to mention that in all likelihood my latest WP (L830) will be borderline as to whether it benefits much from anything heron in, so much for flooding the market with low-end devices because surely the consumer won’t be the beneficiary here in the end.

There is no doubt a whirlwind of activity around here w/MS and WP, but it’s exactly that, everything is in disarray, uncertain and incomplete, can’t count how many times stories have changed in regards to what phones will get what or when, and lest we not forget the Denim fiasco, far from convinced all carriers acted alone on that one. Oh yeah, PFD, WIP and betas abound like never before, does that sound like what the average user wants and will it entice the masses to flock into an ecosystem that is incomplete, unfinished and disorganized, I highly doubt it???

Last edited:

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Despite the minor flaws and even some lack of apps. I will be purchasing the Cityman 950XL.
Windows Phones are still the best all around OS there is.
Still far more fluid, more informational, better flow and easier access to everything I need.

I have used family members iPhone and Android for short periods and tried assisting them with fixing things
It's not a matter of not knowing where things are, it's a matter of where things are and how they are laid out.
and Dead Icons are so ancient decades old look it's not even funny anymore.

Win10 is very impressive even now. Can't wait till the next release.

I will never own an Android, and over priced Apple Anything - iPhone will be a distant choice over other possibilities available.

jhildy73

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I got so SICK of android...I got tired of having to greenify apps because of certain apps draining my battery.I'm coming from a LG g2...the first few months I had it I EASILY got 2 days of battery life...This only last so long because the more apps I downloaded the worst my battery life got...This has been a issue with ALL my android phones and I have been using them since android came out..ALL my android phones would start to get sluggish as I installed more apps.I would install roms with different kernels but battery life would not be the same as the stock rom
My first windows phone was a Nokia 900 ..i love I but there was this bug where the YouTube app would randomly pop up at anytime.i return it it and went back to android...
2 years later I finally found the 640 from metro pcs for 30 freakin dollars and I fell in love...the battery life is amazing..the camera,the screen the speed all amazing for a phone that cheap..I can the brightness on 100% and still get 2 days of battery life...i LOVE the UI...so freakin sleek and smooth.. SO would I buy the next flagship?? No because i will never spend more than 200 dollars on a phone ...my next phone will probably be a 920 or 1020 in a few months when I want a upgrade and just keep the 640 as a backup.

Last edited:

jhildy73

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Seriously ? No.
What is productive for you ? What do you use your phone for ?

What do you mean by productive?? I actually can get wayyyy more done with windows phone because I son have to deal with the Insane amount of popups from google chrome...and yes they are very annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo