Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Can't believe that a NOKIA FAN like you settled for the lowly standards of an android offering. You may not like Microsoft or their OS, that's personal. But coming from NOKIA I don't think any device out there can stand for what NOKIA devices did when they were in their hey days. In the world of android the 'perfect device, perfect OS' combo is totally non-existent. I guess it's just your hatred for MS that made you abandon WP. I've also been with WP for the last 3 years, a budget offering and I don't think any other OS other than windows on phones can in the least, stand for the essence that NOKIA did. I'm staying here (MS) until and if NOKIA releases a windows phone (again).

Apart from the camera, I have no complains about my Z3 Compact. The thing has fallen more than half a dozen times and is still unscratched and unbroken. Nokia would actually be proud of the build quality of this phone.
I didn't really like leaving Nokia's hardware behind but since I can't wipe out WP from my Nokias and replace it with Android I didn't have much of a choice.
It's not hatred towards Microsoft that made me leave WP (I use Windows PCs, Surfaces, an Xbos One and even Microsoft services on Android so...).
I left because WP is a piece of cr*p of an OS, specially after all these years. It's no match for the superiority of Android. The only reason I ever put up with it was because it ran on Nokia phones. The moment Nokia left and the hardware became responsibility of Microsoft (which has one of the worst customer services I've ever dealt with) I jumped ship.

As for you, I wish you good luck for the time you have left with WP before Microsoft's shareholders pull the plug on the thing for good ;)
I'm happy on Android and I'll be even happier next year once Nokia releases their first full-blown Android phones.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No I wouldn't I had used both a 635 and a 640 for a while. I loved the UI and stability and integration of the phone so Windows Phone has some great features and it's a nice mobile OS. However the lack of apps got annoying to me, many apps are missing period. However even the ones that Windows have are inferior to iOS and android and get rarely if ever updated. I also started to have an issue with Facebook Messenger and after a month it was still not fixed. I gave up and went to an iPhone and while I miss some things about Windows Phone having actual apps that are useful and updated often is definitely the thing I need and Windows Phone always failed at that.

My issues exactly. Poor quality apps which never get updates.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I will never EVER take a bite out of the rotten apple. I've recently gotten a Padfone X for work and hemroid is even worse than I could have ever imagined! So for me its Windows phone 4 Eva! ��

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I own a Lumia 1020 was for Nokia's optics, and my history owning an E71 before that (along with the myriad Galaxy S3 & S4 etc).

Now that Microsoft seems to be deprecating everything that made the Nokia devices so great, there's no compelling reason for me to stay with the OS.
I'm honestly just waiting until I can buy an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus (mainly due to iMessage, having got used to it on a work supplied iPhone).

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
No. I would buy a midrange Windows Phone :) I feel my 735 is a way smarter device than my old 928. I hope Microsoft decides to continue offering a non-high end device with many of the bells and whistles (at least wireless charging) at a lower, more affordable price. I would have gotten the 640, but I didn't want to lose my wireless charging.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
NO

Microsoft have shown not competent in deploy the mobile platform and also the lack of apps updated, just i got tired of an instagram beta, of get the last the what app features, of microsoft not doing any effort for keep to us as consumers happy, i do not see any effort by part of microsoft of even do pressure to developers to port apps or even make that the apps that are in store be updated often, also the crap of apps on store, is amazing how relaxed has got and now find lot of crap in store too,

Also even Symbian Belle had features that Windows Phone have not or by example the notification center symbian belle had notification center and controls for turn on/off wi fi etc etc why not Microsoft did not asked to Nokia how to make an OS , even Nokia have some responsibility in this by not stablish minimal usability and quality assurance controls, if watch symbian Belle and Windows Phone 7.5-7.8 -8.0 looks like an big backwards or even an wreck.

Also now microsoft will take out the apps Lumia panorama, etc etc and have not released an global phone og high end all what i watch is low ends althought the offer for people that can not afford an advanced phone is fine but have forgot of who we spend lot of money in high end phones, also in my country Chile Microsoft seem be doing nothing, while i watch ads of Iphone on TV and everywhere, i see an Microsoft doing nothing and sincerely can be very nice the OS but if the features that used to have will be discontinued by the same microsoft but without give any substitute to the app that is removing, then instead of improve the ecosystem is rather making worst plus the lack of apps which i am getting tired of and i know many will boast the third party apps but that will not fix the hole or gap that in apps exist, also some features like store for music and video is UNAVALAIBLE in Chile Google play exist in here How hell will do damage to Android and Google if they do not does efforst but all the efforts that i watch is for namaste country (India) and few markets but the rest are forgotten, my next phone would be an Android i know will hate the lagginess etc etc but at least have apps and very well done instead of bear an twitter app witch the notifications works by few hours and then get no more notifications or the eternal resuming in a nokia Lumia 820 which i am starting to hate , of anyway now Microsoft will release cortana in Adroid too and perhaps in my country gets before than in windows phone due be stuck by the phone operators, by the way the Lumia 920 have not received update to Denim from the phone Operator Entel, will Microsoft care about ?

Jorge2912

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly i won't buy another wp phone for many reasons.

1. microsoft are doing bad and worse with the OS ,with windows 8 was great later windows 8,1 some functions like upload photos right to facebook and messenger chat built in has end and lost one of its charms as OS

2. Camera pro is great but is lacking more functions like light metering and others photo controls, i had a nokia 710 and in spite camera app was basic but it feels like more personalizable and i thought that with nokia camera it keeps but i was mistaken.if Microsoft has merged the functions of windows camera on wp 7,8 and the functions of nokia camera like shutter and more it would be wonderful.i am talking from pro point ( i'm professional photographer)

3. many apps are no so good made and many applications does no work anymore like instagram official app , also the lack of functions of some oficials app even the same functions like have instagram for ios or android that can upload videos or facebook for wp that almost never can upload a photo . is great 6tag but people wants official apps. official apps just a few does existl , even app like wordpress ,flickr , yahoo suite apps does no exist anymore on wp 8 and many official app that on IOS and Android are avaiable but on WP NOT.

4. the politics of expansion of MS on lumia no consider south america ,in fact i see more AD of iphone and galaxy and no one of lumia , even find a case here is almost impossible .had to buy on america a case for my lumia 830 .there is millions of accesories for iphone and android based phones availables on Chile but for a nokia lumia is like a challenge find it .

5.Cortana on spanish there will be also on chilean spanish ,we have no the same language structure as mexicans have also on voice commands is lacking many and is no equal on questions quantity as cortana on english, is stupid idea if i want use the question "what song is playing" must change the language of phone and location for use it .

6. i knew on a forum that panorama ,storyteller ,videoupload,refocus it will no be available on october , is a pity . i no get anything with a cellphone with a zeiss lens if i have no photo app for take advantage of the lens .

7.very bad policy that wm 10 won't be available on old lumias like 820 and others from x20 series (520,620,720,920,1020).

is very sad that a good idea Nadelya is killing step by step,like a sunset of a good idea and just focus on india and china being microsoft a global brand and like a global brand must do global products and the same care on america, india, chile ,etc no just focus on two markets and worldwide markets are no important.

bonghy90

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a Lumia 1520 for a year and a half now. For my line of work, I need a phone that works and evidently, Windows Phone fails to deliver. So, no. My next phone will be an iPhone.

P/S. I can get all of Microsoft's services there and on an earlier date.

Sumesh Thomas

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Lumia 925 for over a year now. At the beginning, when I bought my phone, the OS was not so good, but WP 8.1 is a huge improvement compared to WP 8 and it happened only in a span of one year. I love my phone and the design. At first my bank's app was not there in the store, but they have now launched one for WP store and it works great on my phone. Many apps and functions are coming to WP on at least a monthly basis. The most important thing is that my phone never had any problem with hanging since I bought it and it works just the same as when I bought it a year back. I have heard my friends complaining about android phones that they start to hang after some use and it needs high end hardware to work. I've heard iPhone works great, but it comes with a price tag 3 times of my phone. If MS offers a phone that looks great like my 925, between 4" and 5" display with the same price (I can go a bit more on price), I would definitely buy another MS phone, or I will just keep my phone.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
stopped reading after this
blaming Microsoft for Instagram's incompetence? not that **** again

Well, it's a part of the product/user experience, isn't it? (i.e something to consider when deciding IF you should get another WP phone or not)

But, I think the situation was (for some of us) tolerable when the premium Microsoft apps where WP-exclusive.
Now when even Microsoft tend to focus on android/ios instead of WP/W10M it's another story.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's a part of the product/user experience, isn't it? (i.e something to consider when deciding IF you should get another WP phone or not)

But, I think the situation was (for some of us) tolerable when the premium Microsoft apps where WP-exclusive.
Now when even Microsoft tend to focus on android/ios instead of WP/W10M it's another story.

Exactly. What compelling reason is there to stay with WP now? And why exactly would anyone want to come to WP now?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. What compelling reason is there to stay with WP now? And why exactly would anyone want to come to WP now?

Ah, its easy!

The reasons are many and an exclusive list could be:
MS Office! --> OK, not anymore...
OneNote! --> OK, not anymore…
SkyDrive/OneDrive! --> OK, not anymore...
Skype! --> OK, not anymore…
First class photo apps! --> OK, not anymore...
Windows integration! --> OK, there is nothing special offered…
Full focus and interesting apps coming from Nokia --> OK, not anymore (instead they are removed)...
Full focus and interesting apps coming from Microsoft --> OK, not anymore (or atleast not before they appear on iOS/Android)...
Xbox integration! --> OK, smartglass on iOS/Android has most of the features…
Performance! --> Euhm, not anymore (hardware or software)
Design --> It’s about taste, but…
SD Cards! --> Well, this is better than some of the models from some of the competition!
Live tiles! --> Yes, there we have it. Live tiles will win the world over to WP/W10M!
(or not…)

Last edited:

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ah, its easy!

The reasons are many and an exclusive list could be:
MS Office! --> OK, not anymore...
OneNote! --> OK; not anymore…
SkyDrive/OneDrive! --> OK, not anymore...
First class photo apps! --> OK, not anymore...
Windows integration! --> OK, there is nothing special offered…
Full focus and interesting apps coming from Nokia --> OK, not anymore (instead they are removed)...
Full focus and interesting apps coming from Microsoft --> OK, not anymore (or atleast not before they appear on iOS/Android)...
Xbox integration! --> OK, smartglass on iOS/Android has most of the features…
Performance! --> Euhm, not anymore (hardware or software)
Design --> It’s about taste, but…
SD Cards! --> Well, this is better than some of the models from some of the competition!
Live tiles! --> Yes, there we have it. Live tiles will win the world over to WP/W10M!
(or not…)

If you go onto an Apple or Android forum and ask, Why should I stay with iOS/Android? You will get pounced upon by the fan boys. On Windows Central the vast majority seem to agree with you and are asking themselves the same question, "Why should I stay with WP"

Beantool

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
My first WP device was a Samsung Focus Flash and I have had several Mango and WP 8.1 devices since. I was always very impressed with WP. They seemed like the first company to have their mobile OS thinking outside the box, and in a lot of ways it still feels that way. I stick with WP because to me, the UX on Android (while getting better) still seems very fragmented and pieced together and I have never liked iPhone or Apple due to their lack of SD card. Plus I am a big Xbox fan and its nice to see that direct integration (I.e. Xbox Achievements in games that could be had on other platforms.) WP for me essentially modernized and made gorgeously accessible the single thing I like most about iPhone and even BlackBerry 10 in that from camera to software performance it JUST WORKS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)