I owe an apology to people who use Glance.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have never used glance, until two days ago when I bought a Lumia 640.

I've always thought that people who used glance were just being lazy. I've never said it out loud here, but you all probably know I was thinking it, right? How hard is it, once you pull the phone out of your pocket to look at it, is it to hit the power button?

Okay, but when it is sitting on the desk, man it is handy. Nightstand mode... whoa, now that is special. Not to mention when I am up early in the morning and haven't had coffee yet. Bright lights bother my eyes. Glance lets me see status/time the glare of the whole screen blinding me. I'm loving it, and I finally see why it is so important to have. This should be a part of every phone, period. I can't imagine ever, EVER going back without it.

There's also double-tap to wake, which can also be used when configured to double-tap the nav-bar to turn the screen off. I'm like, Okay, if you're turning on the phone, just turn on the phone with the power button. It's only good for people with a broken power button.

Not so. When that phone is sitting on a counter, table or desk, it saves a lot of energy to just double tap instead of having to pick it up. So nice.

So, to make a long story short (too late, I know), I'm loving both glance and the double-tap-to-wake. I'm sorry I ever doubted it.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Apology accepted. :p

I've had Glance on all three of my Windows Phones; the 920, 1020, and now my 1520 and like you say, couldn't imagine having a phone without it now. I don't know if you know, but you can even further your Glance experience buy adding the MSN Weather app's info to your Glance screen (this doesn't work in the Win10 Mobile IP). Just go into the weather app's settings - lock screen settings. Once you enable weather on the lock screen, you'll have it on your Glance screen as well. (This is one reason I might roll back to WP8.1 from the Win10 preview. Hey Cortana is another, but that's another thread)...

Glance screen background is also another nifty feature, allowing you to have custom images on your Glance screen. This (kinda) works on the Win10 IP builds, but only limited to the lock screen image. There's no Glance screen settings available anywhere in the Win10 builds, but in WP8.1, you have customization options where you can change the image to what you want, it's color, etc etc

Welcome to the Glance club!

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Apology accepted. :p
Thanks. One down, a few million to go.

Just go into the weather app's settings - lock screen settings. Once you enable weather on the lock screen, you'll have it on your Glance screen as well.
Doesn't work on mine. My lock screen has been showing the weather just fine, but it never shows on Glance, which I was expecting. I've heard reports from other 640 users it doesn't work for them either. It could be a GDR2 thing, or it could be because it's not AMOLED. I'm not sure how they did glance without AMOLED, but I'm still happy.

Glance screen background is also another nifty feature, allowing you to have custom images on your Glance screen.
Also not available that I can find. Don't want the background for glance, though, as one of the things I love about it is the simplicity and non-jarring effect it has when you "glance" in a dark room.

Welcome to the Glance club!
Thanks! Do I get a T-Shirt?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, you go into your lock screen settings first, enable weather as the lock picture, then go into the msn weather app, then it's settings, follow the apps own lock screen settings back through to the actual lock screen settings and you should be good. I'd really have to roll back to 8.1 to be sure, but like you said, it might not work with GDR2 on the 640, but try it, it's pretty cool to have working!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the 640 and the XL don't have enough display memory to cram in a background or app like weather. its kinda in a twilight zone between the full featured 830 and 920 (for example) and the none-at-all of the Icon and 735.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You're not alone rhapdog, not at all. Before I had the 640, I didn't get why people were like no glance = no deal. I thought that it wasn't a big deal. After using it though, it is great and simple.

I'm content with having the weather on just my lockscreen.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
the 640 and the XL don't have enough display memory to cram in a background or app like weather. its kinda in a twilight zone between the full featured 830 and 920 (for example) and the none-at-all of the Icon and 735.
But the 640 and XL have the same processor, GPU, and RAM as the 830. That doesn't make sense to me.
You're not alone rhapdog, not at all. Before I had the 640, I didn't get why people were like no glance = no deal. I thought that it wasn't a big deal. After using it though, it is great and simple.

I'm content with having the weather on just my lockscreen.
So, it IS the 640.

I think it's a GDR2 thing, not a display memory thing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But the 640 and XL have the same processor, GPU, and RAM as the 830. That doesn't make sense to me.

So, it IS the 640.

I think it's a GDR2 thing, not a display memory thing.

The 735 has the same too I believe, I think its the display panel itself.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed in the Glance settings in GDR2, it says under Content, "Quick Status Notifications" with a toggle. So it does only Quick Status by design now. Not sure why weather doesn't work, except it's not a quick status. Apparently glance settings are now not all the same as lock.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Glance was one of the top things on the list of what I missed from WM during the (brief) time that I had an iPhone. It's seriously a small thing that looms much larger in hindsight.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Wait... You thought I was lazy??? Man psycho bullying is now a thing... Kidding :p I guess glance is one of those things you only realize you need after you have used it :D

For some reason I end up double tapping all phones around me... I've gotten too used to it :/

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Night mode was so awesome.
I LOVE night mode. Got mine red. Love it.
Wait... You thought I was lazy??? Man psycho bullying is now a thing... Kidding :p I guess glance is one of those things you only realize you need after you have used it :D

For some reason I end up double tapping all phones around me... I've gotten too used to it :/

Yeah, I thought you were lazy. Especially you. Thinking about how lazy you specifically were is the whole reason I thought I needed to write the apology. :p

Yeah, loving double tap as well.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I thought you were lazy. Especially you. Thinking about how lazy you specifically were is the whole reason I thought I needed to write the apology. :p

Imma glass half-full kinda guy, so what I understood was.. I was your motivation for apologizing and thanking Nokia/MS for this small but nifty feature that makes our day so much better :D

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Imma glass half-full kinda guy, so what I understood was.. I was your motivation for apologizing and thanking Nokia/MS for this small but nifty feature that makes our day so much better :D

If that helps you sleep better at night, then yeah, that was it. ;)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW... I have Health and Fitness reporting to Lock and thus out to Glance. Works great. Always have my step count and if you use GPS Workout you'll see a current status report on Glance when you pull it out of your pocket.

I sure hope the Health App gets connected to Sensor Core soon. I don't want to loose this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3