Fingers crossed for Windows 10

laminblake

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I started using the lumia 640 a few months ago and I love the look and feel to the UI but the one thing that is dragging this phone down (and everyone knows this) is the shockingly lack of apps.
Banking apps? Nope
Mobile TV apps? Nope
Credit Card like discover? Nope

And to make things worse all the "New and trending" apps are nothing more than adware. It's like the team that is supposed to be checking these new apps doesn't even care anymore. I'm hoping W10 changes things around and if it doesn't I may have to go back to the dreaded Iphone/Android....

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Well this is the hope, that w10 m galvanises support for the platform, by making it easy to port apps and allow cross platform, so that the devs are also on the windows pc platform. Of course, just because msft have opened the door doesn't mean devs will go through: That is their choice and decision to make. And that is the hope: That they decide to come into the platform.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the intro post. Unfortunately it is the chicken and egg problem that has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums as to why there is a lack of apps on this great platform. I really hope that with Win10 MSFT can turn things around...

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
As the previous posters have said its that chicken and egg situation. I am lucky enough to have nearly all of my app needs met (happy WP user here..a rare beast) my bank even has a windows app that works just fine but there is no denying the situation for some users. It really does depend on your needs. We can just hope that the new OS makes it easier to port some of those missing apps over. You do have to accept the compromises with WP but for me and many others the good outweighs the bad. I love the UI with 8.1 and use it (I also have a 640 as my daily driver) in preference to my other handsets (iphone 5c & LG G3). But I fully understand why it is a struggle for some. Some of the apps in the store are a disgrace but I guess they stand out more because of the smaller pool - there are hundreds of thousands of dire iOS/android apps too but also many more excellent well polished ones too. Fingers crossed eh...

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the site.
Yes, it is the old Chicken and the Egg problem here. Also known as a catch-22. Microsoft can't lure developers without consumers, and they can't get consumers without the developers.

This is the whole reason behind Windows 10. Microsoft wants to create an ecosystem so large that it can't be ignored by developers any longer. To do that, they need to take the ecosystem to the Desktop. It's a gamble, but one Microsoft can afford. According to early numbers of new Windows 10 users actually starting to use apps, it looks like it just may pay off. We'll wait a while and see how it all pans out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs