Legere's head explodes over supposed exclusivity of the 950

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Id blame AT&T more than anyone. If AT&T doesn't think the phone is going to sell well, they demand exclusive deals like this. Microsoft has no choice really

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
After reading that train wreck, it'll be interesting to see what happens. As a TMO customer I do hope they carry the XL but if they don't I live in driving distance of 2 (soon to be 3) Microsoft stores. Part of me hopes that SOMEBODY on either end is picking up the phone and setting up some meetings. I understand that MS probably feels a bit burned by the carriers (except Att?) but honestly if somebody WANTS the sell the things..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I call BS too. Look over the pond and already multiple carriers have indicated they will be carrying at least one handset. Hard to believe MS would be willing to work with them and not US carriers unless they are clearly aware of the treatment their handsets would get by those carriers. Just look at Tmo's recent WP retirement hall of fame for a clue as to why Microsoft would pass them over....

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I would hope the 950 and XL as well as the 550 have band 12 / 700 Mhz since the 640 does. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even get a signal on my 640 when over at my inlaws, even then I barely get a signal (even though their coverage maps shows the whole area blanketed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having band 12 means nothing if the device doesn't support VoLTE. The T-Mobile BlackBerry Classic had the band removed because of this added requirement by T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having band 12 means nothing if the device doesn't support VoLTE. The T-Mobile BlackBerry Classic had the band removed because of this added requirement by T-Mobile.

See here:

VoLTE.PNG

Microsoft Lumia 950 - Does my Lumia support VoLTE? ? Troubleshooting ? Questions and Answers - Microsoft - UK

Looks like there is VoLTE support out of the box however we'll know more in the next few days or nearer to GA.

I call BS, they US carriers in their infinite wisdom probably thought it will be another "meh" reaction and the hype will blow over. But it hasn't, If anything I'm hoping this starts a consumer movement in the US against the carriers.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess I see both points of view. On one hand MS is trying to go small, use one carrier that is probably going to let them do as they want (regular updates) and see how that works. Try not to loose so much money catering to multiple carriers. On the other hand, the phones never really sold in any meaningful numbers so, again, why not downscale make the product available unlocked and sold by them. You control what happens to the product and you don't have to worry about carriers putting the device in the back of the store in the dark and discontinuing them after 3 months claiming they don't sell all the while giving incentives to the sales people for selling every other phone in the store.
If MS fails here they will know exactly why. This story sounds pretty familiar actually...remember when a certain computer company made an expensive phone and it was only available on one carrier...

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft knows exactly where it's majority of phones are sold from around the world. There is no point in putting product where it is not appreciated by carriers and sales staff, even though it may sell. Better to shop where staff won't misinform many customers into purchasing inferior devices.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft knows exactly where it's majority of phones are sold from around the world. There is no point in putting product where it is not appreciated by carriers and sales staff, even though it may sell. Better to shop where staff won't misinform many customers into purchasing inferior devices.

The fact employees try to shift your freedom to purchase with loaded opinions at all is pathetic. They should just do what they are paid to do and sell a product without fluffing you into a decision, not act like calling the shots is everything.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The fact employees try to shift your freedom to purchase with loaded opinions at all is pathetic. They should just do what they are paid to do and sell a product without fluffing you into a decision, not act like calling the shots is everything.

Let me preface by saying that I agree 100% but I think it's not realistic due to our inherent biases. I've never worked as a phone salesperson but I imagine there are spiffs in that industry and that can make a difference.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Let me preface by saying that I agree 100% but I think it's not realistic due to our inherent biases. I've never worked as a phone salesperson but I imagine there are spiffs in that industry and that can make a difference.

Wow that takes me way back! I haven't heard the term spiffs in years. You are right though, when I was much younger I worked at a retailer who sold tech and there were spiffs on certain items sold. In fact (i'm about to date myself) we were given extra incentive by Handspring to sell the Deluxe and Handspring Color. If we could sell 15 Handsprings they would give us a form to fill out and we would get one for free! Talk about incentive to sell! During that promotion just about every sales person was pushing Handspring over Palm. Ah.... those were the days! :)

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
...and this one
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Hình ảnh của - T-Mobile HD7 _ HTC HD7 T-Mobile _ Mobile.jpg
    Hình ảnh của - T-Mobile HD7 _ HTC HD7 T-Mobile _ Mobile.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 42

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads