I converted a friend to WP and .... :(

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

:crying:

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you and your friend contact those companies and let them know your poor experience. This is how the business team gets numbers to push the devs into releasing apps to multiple platforms.
Example - Many devs build for IOS..."it's so cool" they say. However If I bought their product, I would be on the phone with them until they fixed my experience.
I do see lots of Philips apps in Win10 and WP8.1. Google doesn't give much of a crap about their users. I think that's on them, not Microsoft. Microsoft, just to mess with Google, created the very best YouTube client the world has ever seen, just to show off the possibilities, Google made them take it down (that might be part of the reason Google doesn't make apps for WP).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Always ask a user their needs and what apps they use before converting them over to WP. It is not everyone's cup of tea just yet.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is why you should not be responsible for converting anyone. YOU are responsible. Any problems will be YOUR fault! And as worldspy99 said, make sure you know what the user needs/wants to do, and see if WP is acceptable based on that.

What did your friend have before? It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.

Harold Saylor

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

My phones have been remotely controlled for years now by Microsoft tech and I need need help identifying who it is and figuring out what to do about it. I've been the victim of fraud and all my accounts have been hacked numerous times. I have device info from old devices and my newest one. How can I use this info and who can help me read or view it?

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This is why you should not be responsible for converting anyone. YOU are responsible. Any problems will be YOUR fault! And as worldspy99 said, make sure you know what the user needs/wants to do, and see if WP is acceptable based on that.

What did your friend have before? It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.

He asked me how is the phone and OS. I just told him goodies and next day he show-up with a windows phone. Microsoft needs to do something because people will have a bad taste like him.

njshoregurlz

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Why doesn't Windows do something ? I don't get it! Nobody develops apps he is not the only one who returned phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njshoregurlz

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
My mother however is a satisfied user, my husband would probably love a windows phone(but has an android and got used to it)
Everyone is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
They really need apps in order to have the system popular. It is hard to support a system with only users like us period.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Of all my friends, most of whom are on IPhones, not one of them even knows the 950s are coming. However, we all know about each iphone iteration...Hopefully MS has a serious marketing campaign coming

JoyfullJuneBug

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I converted 5 older women they had flip phones and now they love the Lumia 520 compared to their flip phone it easy to get to the calendar, set alarms and text. They all needed emails addresses and because outlook isn't as popular as other e-mail services I was able to get them all e-mails with the real first and last names @outlook =)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Of all my friends, most of whom are on IPhones, not one of them even knows the 950s are coming. However, we all know about each iphone iteration...Hopefully MS has a serious marketing campaign coming

I've heard a surprising amount of buzz about the 950. From AT&T employees to just average acquaints and colleges.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

If you want to be heavily integrated with other devices home like home automation, multimedia streaming and networked devices Windows Phone is not the platform to be on. Sad but true.

Xbox glass is amazing in that it exists but still doesn't do proper device streaming.