The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

natakur

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
re: Is there really an app gap on WP?

There is certainly the gap and, having a Windows Phone and a cheap Android tablet, I can see it easily. No official snapchat or periscope. Official Twitter app is so much inferior to the one on Android. The only app that is superior is Instagram's client 6tag from our dear Rudy. This is truly the best client ever! Again, the official instagram app is STILL a beta! There is also an issue with Youtube. All the apps that we have on WP are nowhere near the official app on Android. Thanks Google for being a good sport and making it impossible for us, WP users, to untilize your services!

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft's management refusal to build devices that will allow developers to port their app to wp. App developers of Android are building apps that use higher specs and cannot port to wp without time-consuming modifications to make it work. Microsoft need to build devices of similar specs to make porting easier without so many modifications which are time-consuming to make it work. Microsoft meanwhile is working to make porting easier to wp they need to balance that equation with support for similar spec Android devices. Then they will get apps almost the same time as Android but with a plus for the developers in that they can port over into a universal app that will play on many different windows devices including pc and laptops.

Leo Ari Wibowo

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Is there really an app gap? Yes there is.

But when I first bought Lumia phone, I don't really care about the lack of apps option because I like the Windows OS. It's lightweight and beautiful. And also it has Cortana, the best AI compared to Siri or Google Now for me. And for the apps, the third party apps was good enough to fulfill my needs.

But when Microsoft launched its own developed app (I can't remember what the app was) a few months ago on iOS and Android FIRST, I lose faith. How can you expect app developers to develop an app for Microsoft Windows Phone, when the company that made the OS itself, launch an app for other/rivals OS first.

And that is why I jumped ship to Android last week. Not because of the app gap, but because Microsoft doesn't seem to want Windows Phone to thrive.

anon(9115560)

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

I had Lumia 920 and decided to switch to OnePlus One because the app gap.

I hope that developers will have interest in porting their Android and iOS apps to Windows. It's the only fix for the app gap.

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Actually it does cut it for 3% of the market that uses phones. In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people". I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps! You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.

No, it doesn't cut it. If it did, the woes that WP / W10M suffers from, and countless discussions like this one would not exist. Furthermore, the market would be interested and the platform would actually have services to offer, which it does not.

Each time a new version of iOS is in the works, people talk about it. Each time a new Android build is coming, people are talking about it. W10M is in the works, no one cares. No developer has expressed interest, could it be any more obvious than that? I'm not even making this up, it's actually happening right in front of you. It's so clear you don't even need stats or research to know.

Your assessment of MSFT's amazing handheld computers is irrelevant in context of current day reality. MSFT have released fantastic products before, with such lacklustre reaction that they've been faded out over time. Their mobile solution is next in line for that. It's not what people want, as fantastic as it is. And in defence of MSFT, I think it's really unfortunate, because I really do believe that they innovate on a level these days that Apple can only boast of. MSFT are really doing it and should be commended far more than they receive appraisal for.

People will not give up the "apps are better" approach. Not until, as mentioned earlier in this discussion, true web apps become the norm, replacing native apps. But we are 5 or more years away from that. And sadly, that is where it comes full circle - MSFT often release ideas to the public as a product far too ahead of their time. It's bold, and I do think the market should be more progressive in its thinking, but it's just not. And this cycle is about to repeat once more with W10M.

Look at Windows 8 - I don't think there was anything wrong with ditching the Start Menu, but the majority of people out there absolutely lost it. So the same applies with your suggestion of "ditching apps" - the market is nowhere ready to take that kind of step. And when it finally is ready, it'll be a version of iOS or Android which has a web-app centric philosophy behind it which will lead the way, not a MSFT mobile solution. Sadly, the market will have forgotten completely that W10M actually did it first. And it won't be the first time that's happened.

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Is there really an app gap? Yes there is.

But when I first bought Lumia phone, I don't really care about the lack of apps option because I like the Windows OS. It's lightweight and beautiful. And also it has Cortana, the best AI compared to Siri or Google Now for me. And for the apps, the third party apps was good enough to fulfill my needs.

But when Microsoft launched its own developed app (I can't remember what the app was) a few months ago on iOS and Android FIRST, I lose faith. How can you expect app developers to develop an app for Microsoft Windows Phone, when the company that made the OS itself, launch an app for other/rivals OS first.

And that is why I jumped ship to Android last week. Not because of the app gap, but because Microsoft doesn't seem to want Windows Phone to thrive.

Indeed. And MS apps on Android are so much better too. For example, I can set or disable folder sharing capabilities on the Android app, but cannot be achieved on the WP app. Is so ridiculous!

gaumzi

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Indeed. And MS apps on Android are so much better too. For example, I can set or disable folder sharing capabilities on the Android app, but cannot be achieved on the WP app. Is so ridiculous!

Yes you are right. Specially the issue is with the Microsofts own apps. OneDrive works so great on Android. Cortana is working great.

:unhappysweat:

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

The main problem with the apps is that all the new services you can find (thermostats, surveillance cameras, home gadgets, etc) are not on Windows Phone. I am happy with what I have but my wife is always telling me: "You see??? I want the Fly Lady app and it is not for WP. Etc." I hope this Project Astoria will change the game, because Windows has more options to me and they are better phones too. I have my 1520 for almost two years now, and still the battery last about two days, and I am running W10. I will not go back to Android.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

NO. You see, App gap MEANS you dont have apps to do important tasks. On WP, we have:
1. Easy Transfer - WIFI file sharing
2. wpTorrent - To download torrent files right from WP
3. VLC - To play ANY video format you can name
4. Files/Storage Sense - To browse files on your mini PC aka WP
5. Internet Download Manager - To download in the background
6. myTube! - The best youtube client, even better than the official youtube app!
and many more. Hence, there is no app gap.
Yes there may be some apps on rival OS which you may not find on WP. At the same time, there may be some WP apps that you cannot find on rival OS. We cannot call that as an APP GAP. You have SUPERBEAM on Android. We have EASY TRANSFER. Can you call this an app gap?

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I am starting to notice something with this thread and many others on this forum recently. To me it seems like WP has peaked and is now in decline. For years we were told WP was a new operating system, give it time for developers to develop apps and for the operating system to mature. At some point however it seems to have died a death, people have given up and jumped to iOS and Android and rather than W10 mobile improving things I think Microsoft are flogging a dead horse. This saddens me as I love Windows Phone, the app situation is what has killed WP unfortunately.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

true web apps become the norm, replacing native apps.

I completely disagree with this whole webapp and cloud concept. Why do we have to depend on net service when we can have everythong right there in the phone or pc? And what about over half of the world where internet it not just slow but also too costly? Damn, it isn't even available at some of the places. Native apps will never be dumped as long as there are such places.

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

I completely disagree with this whole webapp and cloud concept. Why do we have to depend on net service when we can have everythong right there in the phone or pc? And what about over half of the world where internet it not just slow but also too costly? Damn, it isn't even available at some of the places. Native apps will never be dumped as long as there are such places.

I don't agree with it much myself, but if you really do think about it in terms of where things are roughly going and hinting towards, web-apps are the next version of the web. Eventually everything will become remote, and the web itself will just become a transport layer.

Check out the previous 4-5 pages of this thread and you'll see a5cent makes some good posts about the idea. They're good points.

omicronkappa278

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I am sticking with my Lumia WP Icon at least until Windows 10 comes out. App Gap can only be solved with 3 things:

-Incentive to build apps on the WP platform, when can be greatly increased with universal Apps. Building an app which will work on the 75 million windows 10 desktop/laptops is a pretty good incentive. That is on its way
-Creating an easy portable interface in the app development which would make it easier for an app developer to add their app. This is also in the works.
-A Flagship phone. I hope M$ does this. We need an identifiable phone type.

All of those things are on the horizon. The Windows 10 Mobile plan is a good one. This is the real test. I am already seeing app makers make Universal Apps like Plex & Opera Mini. These are good signs. I have a BLU Android phone (Cheap from eBay) sitting on my desk and I use it if I need to do something app wise.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to notice something with this thread and many others on this forum recently. To me it seems like WP has peaked and is now in decline. For years we were told WP was a new operating system, give it time for developers to develop apps and for the operating system to mature. At some point however it seems to have died a death, people have given up and jumped to iOS and Android and rather than W10 mobile improving things I think Microsoft are flogging a dead horse. This saddens me as I love Windows Phone, the app situation is what has killed WP unfortunately.

You make a good point, and I would be inclined to agree. It certainly seems that Windows 10 (Mobile) is what the world has been waiting for. I believe it is at least a step in the right direction, hopefully more. Windows 10 will fix everything!

However (isn't there always a however or but?), consumers are probably getting wary because we've heard that with pretty much every iteration of WP since its inception. How long does this keep going? Market share has barely remained steady the last 2 years. WP is yet insignificant. If it suddenly dropped out of sight, barely anybody (relatively speaking) would notice.

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Windows Phones just aren't cool or hip and the app gap is real.. Most apps which are there lack in feature parity with other two platforms.. iOS and Android apps do look and work better and get updated with all new features more frequently than WP.. Games are another issue, games come so late if at all come to WP that everyone else had already finished playing them and already moved to the next cool one..Nothing stand out in WP, no unique feature in compare to other platforms besides the tiles which again too futuristic that people often don't like it.. Hardware choices are also limited.. No flagship in two years.. No mettle phones, no gimmicks (finger print scanner and alike which does sell) nothing...limited OEMs supporting the platform half heartedly.. All in all the perception is it's the third underdeveloped ecosystem which received nothing first, not cool, not hip and mostly only liked by fan boys either of Nokia s or Microsoft s... And I don't think anything gonna change this soon..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Agree, but i like that you are posting from Android FOR Windows Phone issues. That means you have studied WP and probably have to see much improvement with half the years of WP into the market. And there is also WP 10 Mobile that is not yet official, then we will see the crowd`s acceptance...

And what is more, most Lumia phone actually act like flagships, without a ton of cores, even with half a gigabyte of RAM...

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

NO. You see, App gap MEANS you dont have apps to do important tasks. On WP, we have:
1. Easy Transfer - WIFI file sharing
2. wpTorrent - To download torrent files right from WP
3. VLC - To play ANY video format you can name
4. Files/Storage Sense - To browse files on your mini PC aka WP
5. Internet Download Manager - To download in the background
6. myTube! - The best youtube client, even better than the official youtube app!
and many more. Hence, there is no app gap.
Yes there may be some apps on rival OS which you may not find on WP. At the same time, there may be some WP apps that you cannot find on rival OS. We cannot call that as an APP GAP. You have SUPERBEAM on Android. We have EASY TRANSFER. Can you call this an app gap?

To you, maybe. To me, app gap means the apps I want aren't available on WinPhone. This is true: There are a LOT of apps that simply aren't available on WinPhone. The iPhone and Android universes share the majority of their apps; WinPhone exists in a parallel universe. It's like having white and colored water fountains. Separate is NOT equal.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

And what is more, most Lumia phone actually act like flagships, without a ton of cores, even with half a gigabyte of RAM...

The problem with that is people compare specs and see a big gap between Lumia and LG/Samsung/iPhone and think it simply isn't good enough.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

However (isn't there always a however or but?), consumers are probably getting wary because we've heard that with pretty much every iteration of WP since its inception. How long does this keep going? Market share has barely remained steady the last 2 years. WP is yet insignificant. If it suddenly dropped out of sight, barely anybody (relatively speaking) would notice.

This is exactly where I'm at.

I jumped in with WinPhone two years ago as my first smartphone. I had a good experience initially, and it seemed like things were improving. Then two things happened: 1. The OS on my phone stopped getting support (I had an HTC 8X on AT&T. I got the push for WP 8 GDR2 shortly after getting my phone, that was the last OS update I ever got. So I went over a year and a half with virtually no OS support. 2. Several apps stopped working or were working worse. American Airlines (who I use for business travel) discontinued their WP app. Facebook integration with my contacts list was no longer supported (MS sent me an email that said, in effect, FB changed how they do things and we're not going to bother to update our integrated contact list to read their data). Several other apps just got buggy. I think the app developers moved on to WP8.1 and no longer supported WP8 apps.

Early on it seemed like things were getting better, then they just steadily got worse.

When I decided to upgrade, it made no sense to go with a WP8.1 when W10M is right around the corner and the WP8.1 look to be out-of-date already, especially since my experience with WP was that once you commit to a phone, things don't improve, they decline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05