My city thinks WP is dead and don't support it

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I asked if they would support WP for our local city app (emergencies, taxes etc). Their response:
I have passed your request to the vendor that creates and maintains our app. The response was that unfortunately there is not enough of a market for a Windows App to make it worthwhile to build. As per this linked article experts are pronouncing the Windows phone dead.

Windows Phone is dead | The Verge

Oh boy... They are quoting the Verge.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
That's okay. Some cities give their residents lead tenanted water. They don't always make the best decisions.

Sent from my Surface 3

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not only your country I bet. WP is practically invisible to lots of other countries as well. A matter of time for MS to throw in the towel for WP.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you had read the forum recently you would have seen several "Windows phone dead" threads.

What you should have asked your local council is "Do you have any plans for a Windows universal app" that will run on millions of PC's and phones, or is your IT dept so far out of sync that it doesn't know about the changes that have happened at MS/Windows.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I suppose I can't blame them.

Especially when Microsoft doesnt seem to care to refute those claims, not a peep out of them to reassure users and partners, in stark contrast to their swift response to the NFL surface issue.

And as for the millions on a PC, that's what a web browser is for.....

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So MS have just wasted their time bringing out Windows 10 and coming up with universal apps and all that goes with it..............

Seeing as we have plenty of these threads can this one be closed please.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Windows 10 stands on its own, it doesnt need an app store or universal apps that are still inferior to the complex x86 apps you can get. Prime example is their crown jewel Office isnt a universal app, doesnt need to be one, people dont want it as one and it'll take too much effort to make it one. Yet its still their best selling software.
Sent From my SP3

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel the same pain. None of my city app's made it to windows phone, but are available on android and ios.
For example there's an app which alow you to store your public transport tickets in phone and you just show your phone to inspector, well not for me because I'm using wp. Also theres parking and other apps which doesn't exist in store and make paying for parking and other things really complicated. Having lumia in my country (not only my city) is like having brick phone or not having phone at all. I'm tired of all this. I just want apps. I don't want no soon?, next year or "hey, you can live without this"... I just want to have a smartphone which can help me, not daily remind me that I'm f***ing dumbass who likes beatiful minimalistic os and wonderful nokia's design/craftmanship and chose to have distinctive phone. When will all this "app gap" sh*t end. Sorry, maybe there's to much feelings, not reality, but I'm just tired, angry cause of all this hopelessnes and I want things to change.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If you had read the forum recently you would have seen several "Windows phone dead" threads.

What you should have asked your local council is "Do you have any plans for a Windows universal app" that will run on millions of PC's and phones, or is your IT dept so far out of sync that it doesn't know about the changes that have happened at MS/Windows.

Problem is, why universal apps when a browser alone can do almost EVERYTHING than installing so many different apps for different tasks?? Universal apps look good on papers but impractical when comes to real world usages. With all these troubles, my IT dept will sure to say NO to such proposal.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Sure, understood.

However.
I think they should look at what MS is actually doing as opposed to reading an article. This is a city - base it on fact and research.

Windows 10 has universal apps - they did not know about that....

For 8.1 I get it- don't make an app...

Of course if they attempted to contact MS - maybe there would have been some knowledge sharing. The city is 1.1 million people...

I suppose I can't blame them.

I did.
Waiting for the response.
Tablets, desktop computers, phone, what else. It makes sense to look at it. But they are to even aware of it!!!!
Hoping to hear back.

No this thread needs to be talked about.

It is about a city not knowing what is going on and basing their direction on opinions of online articles, not fact. They should contact MS.
They use SharePoint as their website and all the desktops are Windows....

So MS have just wasted their time bringing out Windows 10 and coming up with universal apps and all that goes with it..............

Seeing as we have plenty of these threads can this one be closed please.

Last edited by a moderator:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Also have to ask yourself, why does your company have so little knowledge about W10M, Microsoft has put zero effort into promoting their OS so should it really be up to individual companies to go and seek out information when they havent been made aware of it by the OS maker itself? Just another area Microsoft is failing with their mobile efforts, cant expect people to know about your platform if you dont advertise it....
Sent From my SP3

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow, your city councils heard of smartphone apps?

Mine is too busy trying to figure out who's easiest to blame for their latest budget overrun or other indiscretion. We don't have apps on any platform and the website is never updated.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
and it's just an app, if the city is requiring you to use it, they should be buying you phones then... or just support a nice html5 mobile site for all :D

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I read such arguments often but for services like a local country/council - why does it make sense to have an app on desktop when their website is by far functional and feature rich for their customers on desktop?

I am all in for UWP but if you think about it, it doesn't make sense for everyone to make a UWP if their website gets a really good amount of traffic anyway.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 stands on its own, it doesnt need an app store or universal apps that are still inferior to the complex x86 apps you can get. Prime example is their crown jewel Office isnt a universal app, doesnt need to be one, people dont want it as one and it'll take too much effort to make it one. Yet its still their best selling software.
Sent From my SP3

I love how people compare UWP to x86 apps. What does that even mean? UWP are...... x86 too!. The only difference is the API they are using. An API that has been used for so long that it has built up a huge app base as a result. Now, UWP API is pretty capable and MS is developing it so that all the capabilities of w32 will be available. Tomb Raider is a perfect example of the misunderstanding of how much better w32 is. It's not, it's just been around forever and everyone is stuck on how much better it is. Well maybe it still is better in some ways but I'm sure MS is working on it.

And for those who claim everything can be done in browsers. You never really want to rely on everything to run off 1 app. Memory, cpu optimization, security, everything comes into play. Furthermore, all the people that are stuck on the old model of doing things are also old timers who have been using it this way for years. Young people, the future, they want apps. I prefer apps. I have several apps that free up my browser tabs and run way better than in my browser and i'm happy with it. And w32 will be phased out, there's no question about it. It's really about how long it will take for it to happen and that's really up to MS. They need to get everyone on board and provide the tools to make things easy.

If I were to say where MS needs to put most of their resources, I would say w10 desktop and visual studio. Mobile they can take more time as they aren't going to get a commanding market share any time soon, not until they can actually make it a viable alternative. The only way to do that is to eliminate all the barriers developers face when creating apps/games. The programming language should not be your crutch to get into a certain market. You should be able to get into all markets using the language you know best and not have to learn a new language which you have less experience in and may provide a less optimal app as a result.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Furthermore, all the people that are stuck on the old model of doing things are also old timers who have been using it this way for years. Young people, the future, they want apps. I prefer apps.

Did you just call me old?

We're going to have to settle this the Canadian way, I'll beat you up then we can go for some beers :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3