Is there any confirmed plans for any new Windows Phones?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I remember taking some photos with the demo unit and one thing I didn't like was that the EXIF didn't even show that it was taken with an Alcatel Phone!

Let me guess: Qcom-AA maker and Qcam-AA model? That's quite common on budget devices. I think this means the Qualcomm SoC is controlling the module without any intervening Firmware from the handset OEM.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me guess: Qcom-AA maker and Qcam-AA model? That's quite common on budget devices. I think this means the Qualcomm SoC is controlling the module without any intervening Firmware from the handset OEM.
Yep that is what it said. This device is in the same price range as my LG K7 and that shows the full device name as did my LG F3 before it so there is no excuse for this Alcatel. In fact I am pretty sure the cheap Alcatel OneTouch Evolve we had even had the device name in the EXIF which is why this missing feature stood out like a sore thumb.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Currently there are no dates of any kind, or model ideas made public, released from Microsoft. They've continually mentioned that while down they are not out of the 'Phone making' business. They also support their mobile software and still push support through for both their own devices and software support on third party devices. Mobile hardware and software is where the tech world is going, is at, and Microsoft must take part to survive.

Microsoft is giving up on consumer smartphones, too - Recode

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried the Alcatel Fierce Xl with Windows 10 and it was just OK... I am glad that I tried it, but it is not something that I would want to live with for any extended period of time
its a low end phone but i am interested in this high end phone

Sent from mTalk

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
its a low end phone but i am interested in this high end phone

Sent from mTalk
I wonder how well the current Alcatel Fierce X windows Phone is doing saleswise? If it's not selling much or too many people are returning them, this would no doubt make Alcatel question their decision to release the Idol Pro 4.

WindowsPhoneFan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft bought Lumia and destroyed it! It is such a horrible shame, Nokia had the best designed phones, and Windows had the best UI....at least for a while!

But I'm still hopeful they'll stop screwing up!

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
When in my local 02 store this week I was surprised to notice only 1 windows phone on display, the 650, (I think), the rep told me that only 11 Windows Phones sold this year in their store, 5 returned, all 950,s, so they have been officially withdrawn by them, he did say that Microsoft were bringing something out next year but didn't know what. If they do, they would need to raise the bar big time, if they want a flagship you build the best that's possible, not rocket science, I have the 950xl which while it's good, though very buggy, I prefer and use my Lumia 1520 which I find has an edge certainly camera wise and far superior build quality. The downfall for Microsoft was when they introduced bogof on the 950, that was the deathnell for them, anyone with half a brain at the head of the company knows that once you do that with your own products, your finished, quite literally all your doing is saying to the public, we've screwed up and we can't sell them, here you are!!! Crazy thing to do.
I don't get Microsoft at all, but one thing I do know is, this could be the best platform out there, but as I've said so many times, with Microsoft at the helm it ain't going to work,, it will always be beta, they show no dedication to it's customer base at all, have a dreadful lack of understanding (in my opinion) of the current market and have a sticky plaster culture of sending out half baked updates, software, phones etc etc which in turn doesn't inspire confidence in them, or their products. No one to blame but themselves.
All we can do is hold on and see who brings what to the table.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When in my local 02 store this week I was surprised to notice only 1 windows phone on display, the 650, (I think), the rep told me that only 11 Windows Phones sold this year in their store, 5 returned, all 950,s, so they have been officially withdrawn by them, he did say that Microsoft were bringing something out next year but didn't know what. If they do, they would need to raise the bar big time, if they want a flagship you build the best that's possible, not rocket science, I have the 950xl which while it's good, though very buggy, I prefer and use my Lumia 1520 which I find has an edge certainly camera wise and far superior build quality. The downfall for Microsoft was when they introduced bogof on the 950, that was the deathnell for them, anyone with half a brain at the head of the company knows that once you do that with your own products, your finished, quite literally all your doing is saying to the public, we've screwed up and we can't sell them, here you are!!! Crazy thing to do.
I don't get Microsoft at all, but one thing I do know is, this could be the best platform out there, but as I've said so many times, with Microsoft at the helm it ain't going to work,, it will always be beta, they show no dedication to it's customer base at all, have a dreadful lack of understanding (in my opinion) of the current market and have a sticky plaster culture of sending out half baked updates, software, phones etc etc which in turn doesn't inspire confidence in them, or their products. No one to blame but themselves.
All we can do is hold on and see who brings what to the table.
I wonder if those who returned the 950s did so because they suddenly realized it didn't have the same app selection as the competition or they just didn't like the OS. Of course it could also be a combination of both.

May 28, 2014
Visit site
At least it's still within 2017 but damn... I hope they won't take THAT long (although I have no plans of replacing my Lumia 950 XL anytime soon, it's still a nice thing to see the W10M community reinvigorated)

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
"I wonder if those who returned the 950s did so because they suddenly realized it didn't have the same app selection as the competition or they just didn't like the OS. Of course it could also be a combination of both."

I have a 1520 & a 640.
My daily is 5SE.
As I patiently waited for the apps to mirror at best what I experience on the
IPhone I use, it never seemed to happen.
On the consumer side of MS apps, this is a big thing to me.
I am content with the performance of apps from the apple environment.
I guess I put to much hope on the potential of MS apps catching up.

I wonder if Gates & Allen could begin a development project aiming solely at creating an app environment they could provide to the company.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if Gates & Allen could begin a development project aiming solely at creating an app environment they could provide to the company.
I doubt they even care frankly.

Both those guys are out of it doing what they want these days.
Gates and Allen have moved on I would say...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps they should make a hybrid Surface Phone with dual CPUs ie an ARM and an Intel one (If Intel had something suitable of course). That way, when used as a regular smartphone it's using ARM with it's power advantage, but when in continuum mode it becomes a full PC, in effect becoming a small Netbook. Each mode would have access to the app store so developers could still develop UWP apps that would work in both.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Probably already mentioned somewhere on WC but Mary Jo Foley of AllAbiutMicrosoftButIUseAndroid.com recently reported a leaked Oct Surface hardware announcement by MS. Some are speculating a Surface all in one device. Could include Surface Phone, idk

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs