Seriously considering jumping ship.......HELP?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
A couple of years is a fairly long time in the mobile world and things do change, for some platforms, OP might find Android a totally different experience especially now where hardware is concerned.

Of course. But OP clearly stated he couldn't stand Android a couple of years back. That's a pretty explicit statement. Android has not changed that much over the last years, that he would go from "cant stand" to "love it".

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Of course. But OP clearly stated he couldn't stand Android a couple of years back. That's a pretty explicit statement. Android has not changed that much over the last years, that he would go from "cant stand" to "love it".

I'd be happy to just "like it" if I could get the apps and hardware that I wanted.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Windows phone may need to to hire a team that can port apps over from Android or have the ability to run android apps. If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service. They will just not be a operating system. If Microsoft can come back and get a 15% or better percent of the mobile market, it can then compete with Google. Just my option! I happen to use both a Windows laptop and a Chromebook and lately I go for the Chromebook 90% of the time, because its light and I just open the cover and its ready to browse or play Netflix or Pandora or surf the web, check on my Amazon orders. ect...
However when it comes to the phone platform I still find the Windows platform more user friendly and less complicated,

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi -

In my case after having an ICON for the last two years, I have switched to Straight Talk on AT&T and purchased a 950XL. Things are really not that much different than the ICON. Sure the screen is bigger and it has Glance - they get used daily. Continuum is nice, but I do not really use it all that often. The eye scan to unlock the screen works slowly and you need to hold the phone closer to your face to have it work - I just use my PIN. None of my credit cards work with Wallet at this point, so that is not really a cool missing feature either. My recommendation would be to stand pat until something new really comes out, you are now missing that much on the W10M side of things.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Stopped at a Verizon corp store tonight and looked at the Note 7. What a beautiful piece of techno sweetness! If they had any in stock I probably would be busy customizing it right now. 😎😐

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service.

What a horrible nightmare!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I be interested to know why the OP "couldn't stand it" but seeing he's comparing it to WP8 I'd have to say we were in a similar boat but not too that extreme, Android wasn't terrible yet we felt WP8 was better for our needs at that time although it lacked in many ways, had high hopes until W10M came along and now our sediments are "can't stand WP". As for change, we notice a considerable difference in Android's OS and the hardware compared to when I used it mid-2012 and earlier (mobile), we weren't that "customizing type of guy" (at that time) that needed endless tweaking abilities but now that we're there it's appreciated having the ability, not a prerequisite for use yet can take it as far as your heart desires or keep it simple, your choice.

Use my L830 w/W10M every couple of days in hopes it can once again achieve that "daily use" status (purpose, as a backup), try as hard as I may it is much too flawed in the OS department to even think of such and highly doubt, due to age, my device will ever overcome those hurdles unless we revert back to WP8.1. Contrary to past claims, I do not believe 10 is "that" capable, to the degree it needs too be, on older or low-spec'd hardware, expected some slowdowns and differences but not to the degree I'm experiencing. Couldn't imagine jumping back on-board today unless we had a death wish, IMO the OS is far from being there, devices are limited in availability and the whole platform has a big gash that is going to take lots of time to heal, may end being that big scar that everyone is reminded of on a daily basis and that won't be good.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone may need to to hire a team that can port apps over from Android or have the ability to run android apps. If Microsoft abandons the mobile platform it won't be long before Google will control the computer market as well. The Chromebook with its ability to run android apps and maybe even start to run Windows apps will take over the market all together. Leaving Microsoft to be a app service and maybe a cloud service. They will just not be a operating system. If Microsoft can come back and get a 15% or better percent of the mobile market, it can then compete with Google. Just my option! I happen to use both a Windows laptop and a Chromebook and lately I go for the Chromebook 90% of the time, because its light and I just open the cover and its ready to browse or play Netflix or Pandora or surf the web, check on my Amazon orders. ect...
However when it comes to the phone platform I still find the Windows platform more user friendly and less complicated,

until the time wifi stops working - then you'll just have a paperweight :winktongue:

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
In a bit of the same situation. The screen on my 950 XL just shattered this past weekend and of course, I can't get it fixed right away because no one stocks parts for Lumias. So I am faced with buying a backup and sending the XL to get fixed. I thought I'd just get another WinMo phone and sell it when the 950XL is fixed, but couldn't find anything I could get in time that runs Win10 (travelling). So, I decided this was the time to give another platform a quick try. Found an open box iPhone 6s+ with 64GB for less than it would cost me to buy a used 950XL. I'll get 14 days to try it out while the 950XL goes to the hospital. After that point, I can keep both or sell one or the other and make back my out of pocket.

I'm looking at it as a Windows Phone vacation....but it's weird though, I'm still getting a guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been such a supporter of the platform for such a long time (going back to the Motorola MPx220...what an awesome phone). I almost hope that I don't like using the iPhone and I already know I'll miss the notifications on my PC syncing and my two most favorite features (wireless charging and glance).

Still, I feel like such a traitor....lol

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I be interested to know why the OP "couldn't stand it"

I just didn't like the OS from a usability standpoint. The email client on my WP8.1 worked much better than anything I could find on Android. Now I'm stuck using Oulook in WP10. And I understand Outlook for Android is even better than WP. Cortana sending, reading and replying to SMS messages in my car worked flawlessly under WP8.1. It's become very spotty since upgrading to 10. Automatic quiet hours based on calendar appointments in WP8.1 was an outstanding feature that is completely gone in WP10.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm ready for something new and more customizable. Android has come a long way in 3 years and I believe I can adapt more easily now. And yeah, the app gap is catching up to me. I probably won't ever use Snapchat, Pokemon Go, etc, but I'd at least like the opportunity to try a new app when it comes out.

And new hardware! Many responses here have said "wait and hope something new comes out". How much longer will that be? I'm done waiting for that elusive unicorn. Yes, the new HP Elite X3 is an awesome piece of hardware, but not on my carrier.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I just didn't like the OS from a usability standpoint. The email client on my WP8.1 worked much better than anything I could find on Android. Now I'm stuck using Oulook in WP10. And I understand Outlook for Android is even better than WP. Cortana sending, reading and replying to SMS messages in my car worked flawlessly under WP8.1. It's become very spotty since upgrading to 10. Automatic quiet hours based on calendar appointments in WP8.1 was an outstanding feature that is completely gone in WP10.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm ready for something new and more customizable. Android has come a long way in 3 years and I believe I can adapt more easily now. And yeah, the app gap is catching up to me. I probably won't ever use Snapchat, Pokemon Go, etc, but I'd at least like the opportunity to try a new app when it comes out.

And new hardware! Many responses here have said "wait and hope something new comes out". How much longer will that be? I'm done waiting for that elusive unicorn. Yes, the new HP Elite X3 is an awesome piece of hardware, but not on my carrier.
The Android client can't use formatting tools (there's no word engine), and the calendars are read-only unless events are created on that device. Not the prettiest experience for me. However, Google calendar app makes up for the calendar bit.

I quite like the Windows 10 app, to be honest, it's much better than people make it out to be. However, it does need things like tasks which are for some reason absent.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

^^^This

I'm considering going the chromebook route or a linux route. Only thing holding me back is honestly games and Photoshop. I'm currently thinking it would be easier to run a shell of Windows 7 within linux just for the use of photoshop or experimenting with gimp to see if it serves my purposes.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The Android client can't use formatting tools (there's no word engine), and the calendars are read-only unless events are created on that device. Not the prettiest experience for me. However, Google calendar app makes up for the calendar bit.

I quite like the Windows 10 app, to be honest, it's much better than people make it out to be. However, it does need things like tasks which are for some reason absent.

There are better apps than Outlook, for Outlook on Android. I have to say that Outlook on iOS is nicer than it is on Android. I create events and they appear shortly in the stock calendar. Are you saying that it is the same for Google calendar? I'm also wondering if it is possible to only sync the calendar and not email.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop on my Dell Windows 10 Laptop and it is a pretty powerful and fast laptop. But it weighs probably 3 times what the Chromebook weighs. I hope Microsoft wakes up and really works on getting the Mobile platform revved up and offers more apps to bring customers back. It really is a better platform then Android. I have used Linux in the past and many different flavors most recently Ubuntu and found it easy to install and pretty much all the peripherals worked. The only thing is things like Netflix worked but was constantly crashing and could not use Adobe products except for PDF reader on it. I found that the install would end up having more issues than Windows and require a reinstall more often to straighten things out.

But if Microsoft doesn't watch out Google will take over the PC market too. Companies like Adobe and many others will offer their software through the cloud where you will work on it through their website. It will be like Google Docs is to Microsoft Office. Right now there is no comparison in the limitations you have working on a online version, but with greater internet speeds will come more and more complex features on programs that will be run from the companies website. I think there are drawbacks with working completely off the internet. If for some reason you lose your internet or Adobe has issues with their site. It could cause millions of users to not be able to work. So there needs to be an offline backup system.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Android is very good. I bounce between a 950 & Galaxy S6. The security issues...yeah, they've had some exploits discovered (that no one was exploiting). Apple has had a few very high profile, legitimate spy tools for governments discovered recently. If WM10 had more market share, I suspect we'd be hearing about them too. Point is, complicated OS's will have holes, unfortunately. If you buy legitimate apps from the Play store, you're very well protected.

What drives me nuts about Android is how every app thinks I need to be notified of everything that happens in their app. A lightning strike occurred 7 miles away...seriously? (Spend 5 mins finding where to turn that off...) And it goes on and on... Twitter on Android is littered with Ad's, and 'While you were gone' sections that I can't seem to turn off. (None of that on the WM10 Twitter app.) That's the stuff that drives me crazy. I actually think that Android has come a long way in the last few years as well. I do still have the occasional slow down, nothing crazy, but it happens. WM10 also has those issues.

Having said all of that...WM10 pre-AU was terribly unstable. Post AU has seemed to bring along with it performance improvements and stability. I'm using my 950 today again, and we'll see how it goes.

Its a phone, and you're on Verizon...I think you'll have to move to Android/Apple soon. That's just the reality of WM10 and Verizon. If you want to stay with WM10, I'd wait to see if HP & Verizon are going to work together. If no, then its time to move on.

Last edited:

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I ended up ordering the Note 7, which fortunately was backordered. I cancelled that order due to not wanting a SpaceX incident in my pants pocket. I picked up a Galaxy 7 Edge yesterday. Loving it so far! Picking up an Asus ZenWatch 2 today. I feel like I'm finally stepping into the 21st century! It is taking some getting used to, but it really has come a long way since my last Android adventure a couple years ago.

And yeah....I feel guilty as hell for abandoning a platform that I convinced so many others to try, but it was time. And I'm not regretting it for a minute.....yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos